Kohler CH23

Troubleshooting, rebuilding, repairing Kohler engines.
Timj United States of America

Kohler CH23

Post by Timj »

Anyone have any experience with the newer Kohler's? It's a 23hp horizontal Vtwin.

The other night, when I was finishing up my last weld, it started to run rough. I thought it was running out of gas and thought glad I got done.

Filled it up the next day, it was low, but not empty. It fired up and ran good. I burned 2 1/2 rods and it started running up and down and died but would restart. Burned another rod and it started dieing again and blowing white smoke.

Figured I'd do service on it and see what I could figure out. Dumped about a gallon and a half of oil and gas out of it.

Do you think it's just float or something in carb? Or should I be scared?

Time to get it off the truck so I can work on it.
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
Doublet United States of America

Re: Kohler CH23

Post by Doublet »

Hopefully carburetor problem caused by trash or bad gas. Just a little flooding will cause contamination (gas) in oil. With that much gas in oil it almost has to be carburetor problems.The thinned oil will make them smoke white and ruin the cylinders if not checked. If you "Dumped about a gallon and a half of oil and gas out of it." It has major flooding problems.

At worst I would suspect it may have a failed cylinder head gasket. depending on how long you ran it with thinned oil.

I would clean carburetor and bowl and change oil and run it briefly to see what happens.

Hopefully it is still under warranty, if it has more serious problems.

Doublet (Terry)
"It is all about the history of the tractors. "One tractor at a time"

Post by Timj »

Doublet wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:59 pm Hopefully carburetor problem caused by trash or bad gas. Just a little flooding will cause contamination (gas) in oil. With that much gas in oil it almost has to be carburetor problems.The thinned oil will make them smoke white and ruin the cylinders if not checked. If you "Dumped about a gallon and a half of oil and gas out of it." It has major flooding problems.

At worst I would suspect it may have a failed cylinder head gasket. depending on how long you ran it with thinned oil.

I would clean carburetor and bowl and change oil and run it briefly to see what happens.

Hopefully it is still under warranty, if it has more serious problems.

Doublet (Terry)
Not under warranty, it's got 950hrs on it and it only idles for short periods. Otherwise it is at high rpm.
Oil wasn't over full when I filled up gas, so it didn't run long over full. When full the gas tank is higher than the motor, so maybe most leaked in after.
Gas is always mid grade no Ethenol off the pump and it has an inline filter.
The sudden onset lines up with carb or float.
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Just some ideas. Dirt in needle and seat. Float has small hole in it and not floating like it should. Needle sticking in seat chamber. Shut off in gas line shut off, while not running. Don’t think that’s the trouble thou. Spark plugs. Put new ones in. If one not firing will fill that cylinder with gasoline and run into base.
Had that happen to the Case 446 the other day. Running it after oil change so I could check oil level after change and let oil run down. All of a sudden I could hear a change in how it was running. Pull right side plug wire off. No change. Held wire about 1/4to1/2” away from plug and started working. Put another old, wrong plug in, which was shorter than the one that was in there, and fired it up. Was working great then. Plugs are like light bulbs, can fail at any point. Don’t matter what brand you use. Hehe. Took out NGK plug that looked perfect, put in a old rusted Champion. I did set the gap on the Champion. So,I took out the left NGK side plug, and put the same old rusted type Champion plug back in there too. Ran good. Will see what happens after the weekend storm we are getting.

Rambling on again.

Noel
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Timj wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:13 pm Anyone have any experience with the newer Kohler's? It's a 23hp horizontal Vtwin.

The other night, when I was finishing up my last weld, it started to run rough. I thought it was running out of gas and thought glad I got done.

Filled it up the next day, it was low, but not empty. It fired up and ran good. I burned 2 1/2 rods and it started running up and down and died but would restart. Burned another rod and it started dieing again and blowing white smoke.

Figured I'd do service on it and see what I could figure out. Dumped about a gallon and a half of oil and gas out of it.

Do you think it's just float or something in carb? Or should I be scared?

Time to get it off the truck so I can work on it.

Sounds like the needle / seat . But drain the carb in to something clean and check for signs of water , if they had water get in there tanks where you buy your fuel there could be large quantities of methal hydrate in it . That mixed with water will blow white smoke . If no water is seen in the bowl or from draining some from the tank . I would order a carb kit with needle /seat and float . Think of the age and importance of it to your work .

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Gordy United States of America

Post by Gordy »

My experience is with the KT-19 opposed twin, in a Simplicity, also with the fuel tank above the carb. For no apparent reason the float would occasionally fail while sitting unused and gas would go past the valves and rings into the oil, the fix is a fuel shut off valve, and remembering to use it ;) That is one thing I liked about the single cylinder Kohlers, If the carb float failed the gas ran out on the ground, Not into the engine :smash:

However a few weeks ago I stopped to refuel after 1.5+ hrs blowing snow, restart was good I drove about 100" then about 6' of blowing snow when she started running rough and died. When I pulled the carb apart the brass float was about 1/2 full of gas,and the fuel gauge showed 3/4 instead of full :109:

Years ago I did have one mechanical fuel pump fail internally and dump gas into the oil.

:cheers:
Gordy
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Gordy wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:47 pm My experience is with the KT-19 opposed twin, in a Simplicity, also with the fuel tank above the carb. For no apparent reason the float would occasionally fail while sitting unused and gas would go past the valves and rings into the oil, the fix is a fuel shut off valve, and remembering to use it ;) That is one thing I liked about the single cylinder Kohlers, If the carb float failed the gas ran out on the ground, Not into the engine :smash:

However a few weeks ago I stopped to refuel after 1.5+ hrs blowing snow, restart was good I drove about 100" then about 6' of blowing snow when she started running rough and died. When I pulled the carb apart the brass float was about 1/2 full of gas,and the fuel gauge showed 3/4 instead of full :109:

Years ago I did have one mechanical fuel pump fail internally and dump gas into the oil.

:cheers:
Gordy
Good point Gordy , @Timj Does it have a pulse pump or strictly gravity feed ? Diaphragm/ seals can fail and the engine can suck fuel into the oil . If it has a pulse pump . take it off , put a vacuum pump on the pulse line , pull a vacuum , it should hold it , if not replace it .

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder

Post by Timj »

Finally found time to play with the "krohler". Found it was only running on one cylinder. :blush: didn't sound like it but one of the coils was bad. :109: pulse pump checked out, cleaned the carb but looked good. Put a good used coil I had in it and it runs good. Going to run and see how it goes, if no issues I'll get new coils, carb kit, and pulse pump and change it all out before I get really busy. If ordering parts I'd like to get it all on one order.
KIMG0344.JPG
Thanks for everyone's input. :highfive:
:geek: Tim
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

I missed this thread somehow. I enjoyed reading it and hearing what different members had to say. Very interesting comments Gentlemen!
Do use the welder for your own business or someone else's? Just curious I always envious of the pipe liners. Quite an interesting breed making their own tools and designing their own rig the way the wanted too. Sure, was an education watching these guy's burn 3/16" 6010 downhill on large diameter pipe. Xray quality every joint.
Welders Rule!

Keep the Peace
Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Glad you got to the bottom of this Tim, and it wasn't anything crazy at the end of the day. That's a nice machine you have there. I'm still kicking myself for not getting one that was around here for sale for $500. It was a welder with an Onan engine, not a working unit and the guy kept it outside for years. I might have revived it if the electrical generator was ok, but just didn't want to take a risk on it, and adding yet another project to the long list. :cheers:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush: