Kohler k321 fuel pump

Troubleshooting, rebuilding, repairing Kohler engines.
Eugen Canada

Kohler k321 fuel pump

Post by Eugen »

Was wondering what I'll find inside the fuel pump.

Not very clean.

EAF75E47-D2C3-4AC1-B4AE-0FF1DCCFCA2F.jpeg

Got one of those rebuild kits from amazon. The kit is made of a spring, the pump-engine gasket, and the main pump rod and membrane. The original membrane is not only thicker, but it also has another gasket on it. The rebuild kit does not include that.

5103C62C-E383-439A-968D-406876F76D5A.jpeg

Now I regret opening it, as it was not a bad pump.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Gordy United States of America

Re: Kohler k321 fuel pump

Post by Gordy »

I have opened a few non working ones. I found built up crud had broken loose and caught in the check valves, holding them open. I got lucky, the gasket survived so I cleaned the parts and reassembled the old parts and put the pump back into service.

:cheers:
Gordy
ssmewing United States of America

Post by ssmewing »

You do not buy engine parts from Amazon or eBay unless your goal is to buy the cheapest made parts.

If you buy an actually good rebuild kit from an engine parts seller who is a real Kohler parts
seller, you'll have the fuel pump that I wish I still had for every Kohler I have.

A tip for you all. When buying repair parts for your engine buy from an engine parts seller who is authorized to sell OEM parts. They may offer a less expensive choice. If they do it may just be a good non-OEM part. Do not buy your engine parts from your Case dealer unless it is a single item and it is convenient. But, at least most of what they sell engine-wise is good parts. There may be an extra markup because they aren't buying directly from the OEM.

You cannot have good parts and cheap both. You own a Case because it was built with expensive yes, but quality parts.

I will buy any of your original Kohler fuel pumps that you stopped using.
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Indeed every carb or kit I got so far on amazon was clearly made of thinner parts and or some parts didn't fit. Waste of money.

But is the current production Kohler parts as good as new old stock from the past @ssmewing ?

I have a good pump on the k321 parts engine so I wanted to show how bad the rebuild kit is.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
myerslawnandgarden United States of America

Post by myerslawnandgarden »

Problem is, Kohler no longer offers rebuild kits for the original cast aluminum fuel pumps and never has offered them for the later plastic bodied pumps. So in this case, the kits you see on Amazon may save an otherwise unusable fuel pump. Kohler currently has the replacement fuel pump for the K series engines (p/n 47 559 11) priced at $216.77, not many are willing to pay that. As a Kohler dealer I seldom recommend non-OEM parts but in this inatance what other choice is there?

Bob
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

I don't know why it would cost this much, perhaps because of small production. It's more expensive than the OEM fuel pump for my truck. Well, yes, it would be very difficult for someone like me to justify such a cost. I could not find anywhere a rebuild kit that would include the small valve diaphragms for instance, so if they are gone, you must buy a new pump. Luckily it's a pretty simple mechanical device, and those Chinese replicas may actually last 1-2 years so you can keep on buying them. Probably same goes for the Chinese carbs, they're so cheap that you can keep on buying them. Although the carburetor is a more complicated device and a new Chinese made one may not work well and just give you headaches.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

I personally had zero problems with Chinese carbs . But I search around for the ones with the highest ratings not the cheapest price . What most people don't realize is that almost all carbs are made off shore now . The major difference from one to another is the quality level that the buyer is paying for . There is quality and there is crap , the factory makes what the buyer (company) is willing to pay for . i have bought "Chinese" parts that were twice the quality for half the price of OEM for some of the newer stuff .

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder

Post by ssmewing »

DavidBarkey wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:15 pm I personally had zero problems with Chinese carbs . But I search around for the ones with the highest ratings not the cheapest price . What most people don't realize is that almost all carbs are made off shore now . The major difference from one to another is the quality level that the buyer is paying for . There is quality and there is crap , the factory makes what the buyer (company) is willing to pay for . i have bought "Chinese" parts that were twice the quality for half the price of OEM for some of the newer stuff .

Dave
I will true that. You MUST buy from an engine parts supplier. They only sell parts that a repair shop would use. I find the better pumps run around $40-50.

Post by ssmewing »

myerslawnandgarden wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:29 pm Problem is, Kohler no longer offers rebuild kits for the original cast aluminum fuel pumps and never has offered them for the later plastic bodied pumps. So in this case, the kits you see on Amazon may save an otherwise unusable fuel pump. Kohler currently has the replacement fuel pump for the K series engines (p/n 47 559 11) priced at $216.77, not many are willing to pay that. As a Kohler dealer I seldom recommend non-OEM parts but in this inatance what other choice is there?

Bob
There are several Kohler engine builders out there that have fuel pump kits. Then there is this site that they probably buy their kits from. They specialize in fuel pump rebuild kits for almost every engine.

https://www.then-now-auto.com/product-c ... pump-kits/
Last edited by ssmewing on Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gordy United States of America

Post by Gordy »

ssmewing wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:42 pm
myerslawnandgarden wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:29 pm Problem is, Kohler no longer offers rebuild kits for the original cast aluminum fuel pumps and never has offered them for the later plastic bodied pumps. So in this case, the kits you see on Amazon may save an otherwise unusable fuel pump. Kohler currently has the replacement fuel pump for the K series engines (p/n 47 559 11) priced at $216.77, not many are willing to pay that. As a Kohler dealer I seldom recommend non-OEM parts but in this inatance what other choice is there?

Bob
There are several Kohler engine builders out there that have fuel pump kits. Then there is this site that they probably buy their kits from. They specialize in fuel pump rebuild kits for almost every engine.

https://www.then-now-auto.com/product-c ... ump-kits/\
The link provided took me to their site but with an error message and a popup saying they reworked their site. Try this link.

https://www.then-now-auto.com/product-c ... pump-kits/

:cheers:

Gordy