Page 1 of 1

One more K321 to go

Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:25 pm
by Eugen
Got a 444 in the heat of the winter about 2 years ago, from Al. He said the engine was seized having sat for years out under the open sky. Sure enough, I was not able to budge that Kohler no way no how. So it got thrown in the back.

Fast forward to a week ago when I decided to put the 644 engine in the 224 mower. But hey, first snag was oil pan. That was not originally an engine from a Case tractor, most likely a JD. The belly pan of this did not fit the 224. Then :idea:! get the oil pan from the seized 444. Fine, engine out, oil out, belly pan off. While fooling around with the "seized" k321, to my surprise, the crankshaft turned! :O Surely, I thought, it's a miracle. But no use in getting my hopes up, the engine could still be bad. Being on what I thought was a clear trajectory I continued with the JD engine only to hit another wall. The pto shaft of the 444 engine did not fit the flywheel of the JD engine. The four mounting screws are about 1/8 further from the center. You all probably saw this coming from the beginning but I didn't. Sure I could make it work but the idea that maybe the no longer seized engine is actually fine so let's check it out. A simple task since the head was off because I tried to use it for something.
IMG_0921.jpeg

A little cleaning and inspection showed no marks of concern on the cylinder.

Out came the bore gauge and... 1 to 1.5 thousands over. :O

At this point it was clear, flatten the head and get it ready
IMG_0917.jpeg
IMG_0918.jpeg
IMG_0927.jpeg

Get the valves out, clean, reface them and touch up the seats.
IMG_0924.jpeg

Adjust valves clearance, put the head on and torque, install new points, clean block and de-rust and some engine paint.

IMG_0928.jpeg
IMG_0929.jpeg
IMG_0931.jpeg
IMG_0932.jpeg

Today it got a carb, coil, and condenser and fired it up. It works.

Re: One more K321 to go

Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:59 pm
by Spike188
@Eugen It's about time you get a lucky break. Nice looking cleanup on the engine.

Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 6:10 pm
by Harry
Great progress on the Kohler Eugen! :thumbsup: :peace: Harry

Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 6:28 pm
by RoamingGnome
Looks great @Eugen! :thumbsup:

Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:01 pm
by propane1
You should send that to me. :D

Noel.

Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:06 pm
by Chad
Well done Eugen! Nice to get a break like that.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:51 pm
by JSinMO
Great job! It’s looking good!

Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:40 pm
by MattA
Congrads on the easy fix. So you removed the oil pan and the engine rotated? Some kind of interference with the oil pan?

Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:26 pm
by Eugen
MattA wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:40 pm Congrads on the easy fix. So you removed the oil pan and the engine rotated? Some kind of interference with the oil pan?
The oil pan of the JD variation of this same engine has a lower belly that hits something on the 224 frame and so the engine can't be pushed back enough.

Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:53 am
by DavidBarkey
:congrats: :thumbsup:

Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 1:49 pm
by Eugen
Now we're getting somewhere. But I'm sooo slow.

IMG_0943.jpeg

Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:02 pm
by Harry
Eugen wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 1:49 pm Now we're getting somewhere. But I'm sooo slow.

IMG_0943.jpeg
Slow and steady wins the race. :peace: Harry

Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:15 pm
by Eugen
Should really start a new thread because the kohler is really meant for this 224.

The engine is in but the pump housing from the JD engine wasn't a good fit. So, off to the old rusty 444 to get the pump housing from it. Except the screw in the lovejoy on the pump shaft was stuck. Heat and pb blaster did nothing.

After an hour of various fooling around my common sense left me and I went with the pry bar and hammer at it. Which of course ruined the pump. :51: :109: :cuss: :headbash: the pump shaft moved out of the pumps about 1/4".

This allowed me to get the puller claws behind the lovejoy

IMG_0944.jpeg

Onwards we go...

Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:51 pm
by thebuildist
Way to go, @Eugen !

You make it look so easy!

Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:31 pm
by JSinMO
Eugen wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:15 pm

After an hour of various fooling around my common sense left me and I went with the pry bar and hammer at it.
Man, if I had a nickel for every time I’ve lived that statement I could have retired long ago! :rofl:

Seriously Eugen great work! You can swap engines in and out of these machines faster that I can check the oil and put gas in! :highfive: :thumbsup:

Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:30 am
by DavidBarkey
JSinMO wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:31 pm
Eugen wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:15 pm

After an hour of various fooling around my common sense left me and I went with the pry bar and hammer at it.
Man, if I had a nickel for every time I’ve lived that statement I could have retired long ago! :rofl:

Seriously Eugen great work! You can swap engines in and out of these machines faster that I can check the oil and put gas in! :highfive: :thumbsup:
It just looks that way because he never sleeps . Eugen being from Romania I beleave is half mugual and half vampire . Thats why the sun doesn't bother him as much . But he doesn't sleep , he flys around his little shop all night doing this stuff . Then takes pictures during the day to make us think he done it in a few hours . :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Thats how he can keep up to two toodlers . Not many humans can at his age , I know I can't. :worship:
@Eugen Seriouly , I kid because I care . btw , say hi to the count . ;)

Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:29 am
by Eugen
@DavidBarkey :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I don't know what you guys are talking about but I'm laughing with you, why not.

Wish I was half the man you guys describe. :124: Today no work though, it's Sunday.

Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 1:17 pm
by Spike188
Dave gave me a good laugh also. I don't know if he speaks the truth, but it sure is fun to tell.

Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:33 am
by Eugen
My update is no update, I've been taken away with life stuff in the last few days and no time to finish this 224 repower. Had to go to Toronto yesterday, a mixed feelings affair always. On the one hand is kinda nice to see the big buildings giving you the sentiment of a highly developed city, on the other hand heavy traffic everywhere and lots of people. School started and the downtown campus, where I go to do work, is full of young students. It's nice to see these youngsters going around, some laughing, some serious, in groups or one by one. Reminds me of my being a student many years ago, and of my oldest who just started a masters in applied math at McMaster University in Hamilton.
4D0D80CD-AFCA-4D7A-BA8C-7C96E27F3FF2.jpeg
IMG_0949.jpeg
IMG_0950.jpeg
IMG_0948.jpeg
I'm looking forward to getting back to wrenching so I can sell this nice 224. But probably won't be able to this year, it's got a mower deck and the season is over. Doesn't help that we're leaving on Tuesday for a 3 weeks trip to Eastern Europe and needs to get ready for that too.

Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:21 pm
by JSinMO
Congratulations to your oldest @Eugen! Enrolled in a masters program in mathematics is impressive!
The 224 will be there for you to work on later, maybe something to look forward to?
I’m hoping your trip east is for pleasure! I doubt I’ll every see Europe for my self so I’ll have to live vicariously through you!

Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:26 am
by DavidBarkey
:congrats: to your oldest @Eugen . Safe travels , hope all goes well . Enjoy.
:creeper: can wait .

Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:22 am
by Eugen
JSinMO wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:21 pm Congratulations to your oldest @Eugen! Enrolled in a masters program in mathematics is impressive!
The 224 will be there for you to work on later, maybe something to look forward to?
I’m hoping your trip east is for pleasure! I doubt I’ll every see Europe for my self so I’ll have to live vicariously through you!
We're going to stay at my wife's parents for a while, a short visit to my parents' grave, visit a childhood friend, and a couple of other destinations. If it doesn't bother the bunch of you guys, I'll post pics from our travels. It's a small European country with lots of history and not much else.

Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:36 pm
by JSinMO
If you have the time and inclination then my vote is yes please take us along on your journey! :thumbsup:

Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:07 pm
by Timj
Have a great trip Eugen. :highfive:

Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:43 am
by DavidBarkey
Please do share picture, ect. from your trip @Eugen . Have a great trip.