Canadian sources for Kohler Carb kits...

Troubleshooting, rebuilding, repairing Kohler engines.
RoamingGnome Canada

Canadian sources for Kohler Carb kits...

Post by RoamingGnome »

I've been working my way through fixing Maxine's attitude problems -
PXL_20230809_193626466.jpg
(Maxine is my '88 Ingersoll 222 with a 12hp Kohler K301 AS)

So far I've replaced the fuel pump and fixed a bunch of electrical problems - replaced voltage sensor, key switch and a bunch of wires behind the dash that the mice were sharpening their teeth on... :cuss:

This afternoon I finally got to the point of putting the battery back in and cranking it over - good consistent spark now and I can see the fuel filling up the clear fuel filter as it cranks - but still no vroom vroom though... :headbash:

I'm going to take off the carb next and see if things are gummed up inside from sitting since the spring. I know Chinese parts have a well deserved hit and miss bad rap, however... The price of getting a package deal from Amazoom is pretty tempting - for $38 Cdn I can get a Chinese carb and fuel pump with next day delivery... I'll check tomorrow with local small engine places to see if they had any carb gasket kits or other options.

Just thought I'd check with the collective :writing: and see what your experiences have been,

(I would really like to support our dealers stateside - but my last purchase took almost 2 weeks to arrive and then Canada Post collected GST for the total value of the pkg (including the NY tax that was charged on a pkg shipped out of state :letmesee: ) - In hindsight if I'm going to cross border shop again I'll either go in person (waiting for our new Passports to come in) or make sure I'm not in a rush for parts... :124:
'68 Case 195, '84 Case 446, '88 Ingersoll 222 - and 1965 Case 530ck (fullsize backhoe)
Eugen Canada

Re: Canadian sources for Kohler Carb kits...

Post by Eugen »

My experience with the Chinese carbs has been ok so far. Bought several from amazon. You have to be careful with them if you want to adjust the float position.I broke the float on the latest I got, as it's plastic and it's attached with 4 dimples to the thin sheet metal tab which swings on the axle. Those dimples broke easily. Easy fix for me, just used the original brass float, perfect fit.

Another thing with them is that the choke connection tab is reversed, thus reversing the choke lever action.

Also, I think their threads are metric so if you're getting a carb rebuild kit it may not fit your Carter original carb at all.

Keeping the original carb you also need to worry about play and air getting in at and around the throttle flap. A rebuild kit doesn't address that issue.

Local we got enginebore.com, he lives in Etobicoke and his parts are quality, he also ships.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
myerslawnandgarden United States of America

Re: Canadian sources for Kohler Carb kits...

Post by myerslawnandgarden »

Regarding worn throttle shafts on the Carter carburetors, Kohler does offer a shaft and bushing kit. No machining is necessary, the bushing fits in the recess where the felt washer (usually long since gone) originally sat.

Bob