Page 1 of 1

Kohler K361

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:09 pm
by Eugen
Do you guys have any experience with the Kohler K361? Asking for a friend of a friend :D

Re: Kohler K361

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:43 pm
by DavidBarkey
Eugen wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:09 pm Do you guys have any experience with the Kohler K361? Asking for a friend of a friend :D
Never seen one up here , only the odd one for sale south of the border . A little more on the rare side form what I can see .
Why did you find one ?

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:48 pm
by Eugen
DavidBarkey wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:43 pm

Never seen one up here , only the odd one for sale south of the border . A little more on the rare side form what I can see .
Why did you find one ?
Yep. And I'm a sucker for odd stuff like that :109:

For one, I like Kohler one cylinder thumpers. Also don't have an engine for the tracked backhoe, when its turn comes for getting fixed. Interesting to me that this engine seems identical to the K341 except for the head and overhead valves resulting in higher compression. I gotta stop getting more broken stuff, really. :hm:

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:14 pm
by propane1
Eugen wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:09 pm Do you guys have any experience with the Kohler K361? Asking for a friend of a friend :D
A rare engine. Only seen one. Apparently have bad valve seats. They come loose.

Not sure on the better compression. But the overhead valve system gives better combustion, which should give better power. Same bore and stroke as the K 341.
The older ariens Gt18 garden tractors had them. Newer gt18 versions of the ariens had twin engines.
I know of a fella here looking for one of those engines for his ariens gt 18.

A little ramble there. And so I found, compression is a little higher in the k361 than the K341. Few pictures for ya. Take note of the fuel consumption. Interesting.

Noel :D

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:02 pm
by Eugen
Thanks Noel, indeed I've come across all those reports about the valve seat problems. So, aluminum head with steel valve seat inserts. :109: People say that if the head's damaged, bye bye engine, as those heads can't be found.

Not sure what to say about the fuel consumption, you know how it is, you want more power, you pay more. :violin:

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:06 pm
by propane1
Not always the case Eugen. Sometimes a higher hp engine will give better fuel consumption. Because it does not have to work so hard.

Noel

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:36 pm
by myerslawnandgarden
I've worked on a few, not one of Kohler's more successful designs. Economy (Power King) used them as well as Ariens.

Bob

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:52 am
by DavidBarkey
myerslawnandgarden wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:36 pm I've worked on a few, not one of Kohler's more successful designs. Economy (Power King) used them as well as Ariens.

Bob
Bob, What would say was there biggest design flaws ? Everything is OHV these days .

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:54 pm
by myerslawnandgarden
Dave,

It's been years, but as I remember both the valve guides and seats commonly came loose in the aluminum heads. I know there were several service bulletins published regarding the subject which I probably have on microfiche. I'll take a look and supply any additional information that I can. The block itself was the usual bullet proof Kohler cast iron.

Bob

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:18 am
by DavidBarkey
myerslawnandgarden wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:54 pm Dave,

It's been years, but as I remember both the valve guides and seats commonly came loose in the aluminum heads. I know there were several service bulletins published regarding the subject which I probably have on microfiche. I'll take a look and supply any additional information that I can. The block itself was the usual bullet proof Kohler cast iron.

Bob
Thanks Bob , Don't go out of your way . I was more curiosity .

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:12 pm
by Eugen
Picked it up today. Guy said he had lots of people interested, including higher offers. The tractor pulling crowd. Hope its head is not busted.

37FE5B07-B856-444D-A74F-5012248303EF.jpeg

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:32 pm
by thebuildist
Eugen wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:02 pm Thanks Noel, indeed I've come across all those reports about the valve seat problems. So, aluminum head with steel valve seat inserts. :109: People say that if the head's damaged, bye bye engine, as those heads can't be found.

Not sure what to say about the fuel consumption, you know how it is, you want more power, you pay more. :violin:
I'd be skeptical of The engine needing to be trashed just because the head has gone.

If it got made, it can get fixed.

Bob

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:07 pm
by propane1
I wonder if it could be converted back to a k341? :hm:

Noel :106:

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:16 pm
by Jancoe
Just doing a little poking around at the k361 on the net and it does seem to have its issues but given the issues it still seems like a desired engine. Came across a forum that people were referring work to this company. Seems they do alot of work to them. Just passing this info along.
http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/a1e ... headrepair

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:34 am
by DavidBarkey
The number one issue with valve seats in Aluminum heads is heat . Iron/ steel expands slower that aluminum but expands greater amount . So if it gets to hot , it will stretch the pocket it is in and come loose when cooled . This is metallurgy fact . Doesn't mater liquid or air cooled . Bronze is almost the exact same expansion rate making it a better choice . This is what happens to the Onan valve seat if run without oil filter seal . This also happen to all the other makes if the cooling system is plugged or is run lean and over heats . Some engines have better cooling that other so are less prone to it . The same can happen to valve guides in OHV engines if overheated due to cooling issues , typically mouse nest under fan shroud . This engine has a higher compression rate than it flat head counter part , so it will naturally run hotter . Making sure the head stays cool and run a slight bit rich will definitely help it out .
My 2 cents worth . You may keep the change .

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:01 pm
by Eugen
propane1 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:07 pm I wonder if it could be converted back to a k341? :hm:

I think the block is different, as it doesn't have valves like that.

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:03 pm
by Eugen
Jancoe wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:16 pm Just doing a little poking around at the k361 on the net and it does seem to have its issues but given the issues it still seems like a desired engine. Came across a forum that people were referring work to this company. Seems they do alot of work to them. Just passing this info along.
http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/a1e ... headrepair

Thank you Evan, I know the site and since I like the Kohler engines, I've been using it quite often.

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:12 pm
by Eugen
DavidBarkey wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:34 am The number one issue with valve seats in Aluminum heads is heat . Iron/ steel expands slower that aluminum but expands greater amount . So if it gets to hot , it will stretch the pocket it is in and come loose when cooled . This is metallurgy fact . Doesn't mater liquid or air cooled . Bronze is almost the exact same expansion rate making it a better choice . This is what happens to the Onan valve seat if run without oil filter seal . This also happen to all the other makes if the cooling system is plugged or is run lean and over heats . Some engines have better cooling that other so are less prone to it . The same can happen to valve guides in OHV engines if overheated due to cooling issues , typically mouse nest under fan shroud . This engine has a higher compression rate than it flat head counter part , so it will naturally run hotter . Making sure the head stays cool and run a slight bit rich will definitely help it out .
This is good info Dave, thanks! It seems that there is at least one company that offers brass valve seats for this engine. If it turns out that the steel valve seats came off I'll try to find some brass to turn new seats out of brass. Same with the valve guides?

Tried to start the engine last night using some starter fluid spray, but no go. It does have spark. The guy who sold it said he was able to start it with gas down the carb throat. Now I'm really curious what's inside. :violin:

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:24 pm
by DavidBarkey
Eugen wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:12 pm
DavidBarkey wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:34 am The number one issue with valve seats in Aluminum heads is heat . Iron/ steel expands slower that aluminum but expands greater amount . So if it gets to hot , it will stretch the pocket it is in and come loose when cooled . This is metallurgy fact . Doesn't mater liquid or air cooled . Bronze is almost the exact same expansion rate making it a better choice . This is what happens to the Onan valve seat if run without oil filter seal . This also happen to all the other makes if the cooling system is plugged or is run lean and over heats . Some engines have better cooling that other so are less prone to it . The same can happen to valve guides in OHV engines if overheated due to cooling issues , typically mouse nest under fan shroud . This engine has a higher compression rate than it flat head counter part , so it will naturally run hotter . Making sure the head stays cool and run a slight bit rich will definitely help it out .
This is good info Dave, thanks! It seems that there is at least one company that offers brass valve seats for this engine. If it turns out that the steel valve seats came off I'll try to find some brass to turn new seats out of brass. Same with the valve guides?

Tried to start the engine last night using some starter fluid spray, but no go. It does have spark. The guy who sold it said he was able to start it with gas down the carb throat. Now I'm really curious what's inside. :violin:
Seats need to be bronze not brass and to that there are different grades of it . Do a compression test on it first . Wet dry . Should be over 100 psi.

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:00 pm
by Eugen
You know the Kohlers, they got the Automatic Compression Release, can't run a regular compression test. I'll think of something.

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:44 pm
by Gordy
Eugen wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:00 pm You know the Kohlers, they got the Automatic Compression Release, can't run a regular compression test. I'll think of something.
Here is a link for a quick search for "leak down test" from the old site.

https://www.casecoltingersoll.com/searc ... =relevance

:cheers:
Gordy

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:56 pm
by Eugen
Thanks @Gordy , I'm on the fence whether to do a leak down test, or take the head off. I mean, it's not starting yet I gave it food has spark. What's missing, compression? :giggle:

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:59 pm
by propane1
Eugen wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:01 pm
propane1 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:07 pm I wonder if it could be converted back to a k341? :hm:

I think the block is different, as it doesn't have valves like that.
Never seen one apart, so was just wondering.

Noel

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:18 pm
by DavidBarkey
Eugen wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:00 pm You know the Kohlers, they got the Automatic Compression Release, can't run a regular compression test. I'll think of something.
WOT. with the motor clampt down ,wind a rope around the crank shaft . pull start backwards . See what you get , that will let you know if the are any issues that need a closer look or maybe just is just ignition issue . You say have spark , but is it sparking under compression ? Lean is harder to light than rich . If all that above is good try giving the carb a quick clean and run off a gravity fuel tank thats what I do .

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:47 pm
by Eugen
Dave, sorry, too late. :109:

What could number 18 on the piston mean?

The valve seats are in place. Some blow by the gasket. Cylinder wall not too bad. Will try and measure the bore tonight for the fun of it.

All in all not too bad, right guys?

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:36 pm
by propane1
So I found a picture of the head bolt holes. Definitely can’t put back to a k 341. :D

And I was gunna say. Turn the engine backwards to do a compression test.

Dave is always one paragraph ahead of me. Hehehe.

18th piston off the assembly line. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :78: :78: :78: :giggle: :giggle: :)) :)).

Engine looks good Eugen.

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:09 pm
by Jancoe
Humm? 18 on the piston for 18hp? Lol does the k341 have a 16 on the piston?

Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:12 am
by DavidBarkey
Jancoe wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:09 pm Humm? 18 on the piston for 18hp? Lol does the k341 have a 16 on the piston?

Make sense . The 2 pistons from what I understand are the same size diameter but may have different heights or weights .
@Eugen Since you already have it apart best do a rebuild gasket and seal kit , clean and lap the valves . Wire brush the fins clean on the head for max cooling . It would make a stout engine for the loader if the K321 doesn't pan out . Very interested to see how this one runs . It is a wide base block ?

Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:22 am
by Eugen
I don't know if you guys have the same disease as I do, but ever since I was a kid it gave me GREAT pleasure to take things apart, much to my parents' chagrin. Couldn't resist opening this engine. You know every old engine is a bit of a lottery, and when it gets open, you wonder if you'll find some really bad stuff, or so so, or be surprised with something nice. So far no big bad stuff in this one. The valve seat inserts seem to be still solidly mounted in the head. The valve guides are easily pulled out, I guess by design. Haven't measured the guides or the valves yet, but on visual inspection they seem pretty good. Didn't get the micrometer out last night, but measured the bore with a telescoping gauge and the digital callipers, seems around 2.75", together with the fact that there is no .010 or .020 or .030 mark on the piston, it's most likely a STD piston. This is good news, there's room to grow.

Dave, the pistons of K341 and K361 seem to be identical, according to
http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/engspecs.htm

In fact, apart from the head, all specs seem the same as the K341. This is also good news, it means I can still find parts for a rebuild.

The not so good news is that the valve guides are somewhat loose, and if they don't measure well I'll have to make them out of bronze or something, as they're unobtanium. Also, there is evidence of PO having been in the head, there's orange high-temp RV silicone everywhere. There are some o-rings which I need to source too, item 28 in the picture below.
Screenshot 2022-12-15 at 11.19.20.png

I think you're right @DavidBarkey about the wide base. I haven't measured the base, but it does seem wider then the K321.

Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:54 pm
by DavidBarkey
Eugen wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:22 am I don't know if you guys have the same disease as I do, but ever since I was a kid it gave me GREAT pleasure to take things apart, much to my parents' chagrin. Couldn't resist opening this engine. You know every old engine is a bit of a lottery, and when it gets open, you wonder if you'll find some really bad stuff, or so so, or be surprised with something nice. So far no big bad stuff in this one. The valve seat inserts seem to be still solidly mounted in the head. The valve guides are easily pulled out, I guess by design. Haven't measured the guides or the valves yet, but on visual inspection they seem pretty good. Didn't get the micrometer out last night, but measured the bore with a telescoping gauge and the digital callipers, seems around 2.75", together with the fact that there is no .010 or .020 or .030 mark on the piston, it's most likely a STD piston. This is good news, there's room to grow.

Dave, the pistons of K341 and K361 seem to be identical, according to
http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/engspecs.htm

In fact, apart from the head, all specs seem the same as the K341. This is also good news, it means I can still find parts for a rebuild.

The not so good news is that the valve guides are somewhat loose, and if they don't measure well I'll have to make them out of bronze or something, as they're unobtanium. Also, there is evidence of PO having been in the head, there's orange high-temp RV silicone everywhere. There are some o-rings which I need to source too, item 28 in the picture below.

Screenshot 2022-12-15 at 11.19.20.png

I think you're right @DavidBarkey about the wide base. I haven't measured the base, but it does seem wider then the K321.
If you need to do guides , I have a whole pile of reamers for just that and seat cuter . Look up seat locking by peaning . If the seat are still tight it might be wise to do before putting back together . As for guide , you maybe able to source them if needed by measument . Replacement K341 guide maybe the same guide .

Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:42 pm
by Eugen
DavidBarkey wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:54 pm If you need to do guides , I have a whole pile of reamers for just that and seat cuter . Look up seat locking by peening . If the seat are still tight it might be wise to do before putting back together . As for guide , you maybe able to source them if needed by measurement . Replacement K341 guide maybe the same guide .
Thanks Dave! I appreciate it! If I can get myself to leave the comfort of my tent I'll come by! :rofl:

Good idea about the seats, I'll do that. I might reuse these valves, maybe hone them a bit on the valve grinder. I recently got a neway kit from Orilia
but it came with only one cutter, the 46 and 31 degree angles. I'm thinking this should be fine to touch the seats a little.

Measured the guides and valves, I'll put the numbers here, may as well keep a log of refreshing this engine.
PositionGuide IDValve ODWear (ID-OD)Wear limit spec
Intake0.3130.31050.00250.006
Exhaust0.31450.30850.0060.008
I'm inclined to leave the guides alone. I do think there's a little problem with these guides. They were easy to pull out of the head, whereas in the service manual they talk about heating up the head in the oven to get them out, and when you install new ones, to put them in the freezer and press them in. I gotta think of a way to make them be tight in the head.

Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:14 pm
by DavidBarkey
@Eugen those guide need to be a tight fit . Do you have knurling tool for your lathe ? Knurl and loctite 620 If you need I have a small knurling tool .

Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:11 pm
by Eugen
DavidBarkey wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:14 pm @Eugen those guide need to be a tight fit . Do you have knurling tool for your lathe ? Knurl and loctite 620 If you need I have a small knurling tool .
I'm honestly afraid to knurl them on account I'll destroy them in the process. :109:

I'm thinking just blue permatex and just press them in. :writing: :geek:

Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:13 pm
by myerslawnandgarden
Eugen wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:42 pm
DavidBarkey wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:54 pm If you need to do guides , I have a whole pile of reamers for just that and seat cuter . Look up seat locking by peening . If the seat are still tight it might be wise to do before putting back together . As for guide , you maybe able to source them if needed by measurement . Replacement K341 guide maybe the same guide .
Thanks Dave! I appreciate it! If I can get myself to leave the comfort of my tent I'll come by! :rofl:

Good idea about the seats, I'll do that. I might reuse these valves, maybe hone them a bit on the valve grinder. I recently got a neway kit from Orilia
but it came with only one cutter, the 46 and 31 degree angles. I'm thinking this should be fine to touch the seats a little.

Measured the guides and valves, I'll put the numbers here, may as well keep a log of refreshing this engine.
PositionGuide IDValve ODWear (ID-OD)Wear limit spec
Intake0.3130.31050.00250.006
Exhaust0.31450.30850.0060.008
I'm inclined to leave the guides alone. I do think there's a little problem with these guides. They were easy to pull out of the head, whereas in the service manual they talk about heating up the head in the oven to get them out, and when you install new ones, to put them in the freezer and press them in. I gotta think of a way to make them be tight in the head.
Loose guides were one of the common problems with this engine as I recall, I think that back in the day there was a repair kit that contained two guides that were slightly oversize. Again, it's been a long time and I will do my best to remember to find the old service bulletins.

Bob

Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:40 am
by DavidBarkey
Eugen wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:11 pm
DavidBarkey wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:14 pm @Eugen those guide need to be a tight fit . Do you have knurling tool for your lathe ? Knurl and loctite 620 If you need I have a small knurling tool .
I'm honestly afraid to knurl them on account I'll destroy them in the process. :109:

I'm thinking just blue permatex and just press them in. :writing: :geek:
The blue doe not have the holding power and will not take the heat loctite 620 will.

Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:24 am
by Eugen
myerslawnandgarden wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:13 pm Loose guides were one of the common problems with this engine as I recall, I think that back in the day there was a repair kit that contained two guides that were slightly oversize. Again, it's been a long time and I will do my best to remember to find the old service bulletins.

Bob
It would be nice to have a look at those documents but would not want to inconvenience you over this Bob. One day if you come across them please upload them here.

@DavidBarkey I thought some more about it and I'll try to avoid any glue so that it could be serviced in the future. I'm thinking of adding a little material to the guides and turning them on the lathe with the tolerance needed for a press fit. Maybe JB weld? Not sure what they're made of, steel or bronze?

Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:26 am
by Eugen
I scratched the bottom of one of the valve guides, not bronze, but steel. I think it would be better to add material to them, maybe with a little welding, and then turn them on the lathe. I'd rather do this, although more work, than knurling it, which would have more of a chance to damage the head when pressed in. Wish I had a TIG welder now, for fine work like this. :rolleyes:

Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:50 am
by propane1
If you weld it, is there a chance of warping it crooked and not be useable. Just wondering, cause I don’t know.

Noel

Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:53 am
by Eugen
propane1 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:50 am If you weld it, is there a chance of warping it crooked and not be useable. Just wondering, cause I don’t know.

Noel
I don't know Noel. With a TIG welder I could add a drop of material and let it cool, then do it again. Maybe I can do this with the wire welder too. Now that I know they're made of steel I could even try to turn new ones on the lathe.

BTW, I looked for some bronze bushing stock online, cannot find anything here in Canada. Of course I found some in the US, and priced very reasonably, but they don't ship to Canada :((

Edit: I did find bronze bar here too, $50 for 4 inches. It is what it is. :sigh:

Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:37 am
by Eugen
Well, I thought I might be wrong about steel valve guides, and I was. Fortunately the internet knows more than I do about everything. Found this short blurb about materials used for valve guides, and it sounds very plausible to me. The short of it is, bronze or cast iron.

Knowing this, the current valve guides must be cast iron. Knowing it's cast iron, makes me leery of welding it. :rofl: fine, we're getting somewhere, bumping into walls in the dark. :giggle:

Valve guides - Materials and usage
Material choices for guides are down to two distinct types - cast iron and bronze. Yes, cast iron. NOT steel as described in many adverts and by vendors. Never have been, never will be. These are as fitted to the various A-series cylinder heads as standard in all applications. Cast iron is used because it is a very dissimilar metal from any used in valve manufacture - important to eliminate galling that causes seizure of the valves in the guides - is softer, yet resilient enough to wear well. Bronze, on the other hand, is a very general description as there are a variety of 'bronzes' used by various folk. In days gone by, the bronze base type used was 'PB1' (also known as 'Navy Bronze') - a phosphor-bronze alloy that was very orange in colour, and very soft, used primarily in race engines. Unfortunately they wore out very quickly. Silicone-brass content bronze is probably the most popular now - often with a high aluminium or manganese content - is very yellow/gold in colour; modern technology facilitating very controlled manufacture of these specialist alloys.

Valve materials are very varied, but essentially there are three groups. The first is the old-style standard road spec, second up-rated standard road spec, and lastly race spec. The material types for both road spec valves are both complicated and irrelevant. All you need to know is that the early types had plain finished stems and seats because leaded fuel was very kind to them, the up-rated (or modern) ones have chrome-plated stems with triple-material heads giving a super-hard seat area - both to improve longevity, especially in later years where unleaded fuel is used.

Race spec valves are almost universally EN214N stainless steel. Despite what folk have been lead to believe, they are generally not as hardwearing as the standard type valves. This material is used because it is easy to form and machine yet resilient enough to perform reliably in the combustion chamber's extremely harsh environment. Used in their 'raw' form, they're OK when used with leaded fuel, effective lead-substitute treated fuel, or proper race fuels but wear very quickly when unleaded fuel is used. Paul Ivey's 'Specialised Valves' company have been chrome-plating the stems for many years - instigated on his Rimflo valves so folk could use them in the standard cast iron guides. However, chrome plating is an expensive process and difficult to apply correctly without causing weakening of the valve stem - something Paul Ivey found out early on - so up-to-date designs use Tuftriding or nito-carburising instead. The latter are easily identified by the grey/black finish it leaves.

Unleaded fuel is the bugbear as can be seen from the former text; largely because of the 'high-drying' solvents used in it. These are extremely abrasive, cleaning away any traces of normal lubrication - such as engine oil. Material mis-match between valves and guides will cause galling leading to seizure of the valve in the guide, exaggerated by the unleaded fuel thing. So which valves do you use with which guides?

Cast iron guides; use either standard road spec valves - preferably the up-rated, chrome-stemmed items for longevity - or race spec valves that have been chrome-stemmed. DO NOT use raw EN214N race valves - they will seize in the guides. It is possible to run the Tuftrided/nitro-carburised type valves in iron guides - but I have had mixed success with this, so cannot heartily recommend it.

Bronze guides; easy this as you can use any type of valve material you like. The earlier standard road spec valves that have no surface-treatment on the stems will wear out quite quickly though - especially on the more modern manganese/silicone-brass alloys as they are very hard.

As to where to use which - the controlling factor is more about rpm than anything else. I have already stated that the road spec valves are predominantly multi-piece - not only the way the heads are formed from different materials, but by the way they are made. A manufacturing process called 'fusion welding' is used - the stem and head are two different pieces. Each are spun up to high speed then pressed together. The friction developed creates heat so immense it physically welds the two pieces together - hence 'fusion welding'. Convenient for mass-manufacture of valves having the same stem diameter with a multitude of optional head diameters it may be, but it adds a weak point. This process negates the more expensive process of forging the valve heads where only a limited number of diameters can be turned out of one 'blank', but the joint is a weak link. For road use, they are not a problem. But when higher rpm is used along with the necessary higher strength valve springs to stave off valve bounce, the valve head can break off. Serious engine damage ensues.

So where is the limit? Difficult to give a definitive answer that won't have someone beating a path to my door to sue me over engine damaged accrued because of my ruling. Generally though, most road-going engines will be fine on the road spec valves - particularly the later spec ones. It's constant high rpm use that's the killer. The odd visit to 7,500rpm won't hurt them IF the valve springs used are up to the job and correctly fitted, and missed gear changes are a rarity. The English racing series 'Mighty Minis' for the 1.3i single point injection cars use the standard MG Metro road spec valves (very good quality) where the engines are held against the rev limiters constantly (6,500rpm); as far as I'm aware there hasn't been a dropped valve yet. Continual and protracted visits to 7,500rpm and above will have the heads popping off their stems after not too long. Therefore ANYTHING that is going to see any kind of race use - autotesting, pylon racing, autocross, sprinting, hill-climbing, rallying, circuit racing, etc. - on a regular basis and where sportier profiled cams are used really requires the race spec valves if long faces are to be avoided.

Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:13 pm
by DavidBarkey
The fact that they are iron is why they came loose . Iron expanse more than aluminum . Glue them inplace with 620 , but sneek the head inside over night to cure in the warm .

Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:39 pm
by Eugen
I know you're saying it will work with loctite 620, but somehow I don't feel good about glue there.

How about a mechanical type of mechanism to keep it in place. A set screw coming from the side? Am I crazy to think that? Are the forces too high for that hold?

Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 4:01 pm
by Eugen
When things are cleaned up they can reveal surprises. The guides must be cast iron with a bronze inner sleeve. Interesting.

DA41BBF8-89A8-4E2F-90FF-922D314112C1.jpeg

Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:37 pm
by Jancoe
Eugen wrote:When things are cleaned up they can reveal surprises. The guides must be cast iron with a bronze inner sleeve. Interesting.

DA41BBF8-89A8-4E2F-90FF-922D314112C1.jpeg
Time to get some bronze and make complete new valve guides. I know your tempted so you might as well give it a go. We're all the same here. I can't help myself too. I get something like this and I tear into it. Curiosity at its finest. My grandmother always reminds me about when I was around 5-6 I tore into her massive stereo system. The thing didn't work. Got tools out of grandpa's toolbox and a few hours later the house was jamming. I vaugly remember any of it but she always talks about it to this day. Don't remember what I did but its in my blood. It's a curse. Bring home too many project and never enough time for all of it. Hope you get this engine up and going soon.

Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:09 pm
by Eugen
Jancoe wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:37 pm Time to get some bronze and make complete new valve guides.
You said it! :thumbsup:

Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:19 am
by Eugen
Sorry guys, if I'm boring you with my going back and forth over this. Came across this interesting bit about bronze valve guides.
Bronze valve guides are very nice for extended wear life, but they do have a slight problem with increased thermal expansion compared to iron guides. This requires machining the bronze guide to have slightly more running clearance with the valve stem to prevent valve seizure when the guides run hot. One function of the guide is to transfer heat from the valve stem into the head for cooling the valve. Smaller running clearance promotes better heat transfer.

Installation of bronze valve guide liner Installation of bronze valve guide liner Here we have an alternative to the bronze valve guide. You can install a thin bronze sleeve in the original iron guide to give the desired bronze bearing surface while avoiding the problem of excess thermal expansion. For engines with cast in place valve guides this is often done to reduce machining cost. For engines with replaceable guides this method can still be used to achieve minimal valve stem running clearance without excess thermal expansion or valve seizure.

Considering that there are no seals on the guides, more valve-guide clearance, as it would be needed for bronze guides, would mean more oil going into the cylinder. This is probably why the original guides seem to be cast iron with a bronze inner sleeve. Back to the drawing board :writing:

Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:57 am
by propane1
Interesting. Nice it have the tools to make stuff. I don’t have a lathe.

Noel

Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:58 pm
by Eugen
propane1 wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:57 am Interesting. Nice it have the tools to make stuff. I don’t have a lathe.

Noel
I barely ever use it Noel. It's a small lathe, but it's nice to have. I find the biggest problem is finding reasonable priced stock metal to work on.

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:01 pm
by Eugen
@propane1 what do you think about this? I sure would like one.
A04F78DA-8CAC-43F1-9E63-672A8D3235C7.jpeg

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:06 pm
by thebuildist
That's a South Bend 10" Jr. lathe. It's a pretty nice unit. Quick change gearbox, power feed in both axes. You're looking at a South Bend salesman's car, and it was an effective tactic.

There were some lathes that were arguably superior, or a better value than the South Bend, but South Bend became the gold standard.

I have its big brother, a 1941 South Bend Heavy 10. Similar overall, but built heavier, with a larger spindle with a larger through-hole and a factory taper attachment. Either it or my loader is my favorite possession. Depends on the weather. :lol:

You definitely do not want a Heavy 10 in the back of your station wagon.

Bob

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:50 am
by propane1
Eugen wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:01 pm @propane1 what do you think about this? I sure would like one.

A04F78DA-8CAC-43F1-9E63-672A8D3235C7.jpeg
That’s neat.

Noel

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:02 am
by propane1
I have never even used a lathe, couple people I know have them. I’ve made or fixed stuff at home here using back yard tools. Some fairly crude methods I used to make or fix stuff. A true machinist might have a stroke, looking at some of the stuff I’ve used and done. Hehehe. Certainly only minor stuff I’ve done. I did cut a slot in a 3/4 rod once for a woodruff key. I did it with a dremial tool, with the little cut off disks.

Short ramble.

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:25 am
by thebuildist
I can't imagine not having my lathe, though I've only had one for the last 10 years or so.

And there are very few things I need done that I can't find way to do, and I really do enjoy the process.

But I'm no master machinist. I'm too messy. I'm too impatient. I'm not methodical enough. I'm too eager to do it "quick and easy" instead of "perfect and repeatable." I care too much about "easy and functional" and not enough about producing "a work of art."

So for me, who has always been the master of "duct tape and baling wire", the lathe just gives me "duct tape on steroids." The first time I ever "made one from scratch" because "it" was unavailable or too expensive, I was hooked for life.

Bob

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:26 pm
by Eugen
thebuildist wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:06 pm That's a South Bend 10" Jr. lathe. It's a pretty nice unit. Quick change gearbox, power feed in both axes. You're looking at a South Bend salesman's car, and it was an effective tactic.

There were some lathes that were arguably superior, or a better value than the South Bend, but South Bend became the gold standard.

I have its big brother, a 1941 South Bend Heavy 10. Similar overall, but built heavier, with a larger spindle with a larger through-hole and a factory taper attachment. Either it or my loader is my favorite possession. Depends on the weather. :lol:

You definitely do not want a Heavy 10 in the back of your station wagon.

Bob
Thanks for this info, I had no idea. The lathe I got is a Myford 7 and is not really mine, but a buddy's from work. He got it from someone else for free and had nowhere to put it, so he parked it in my shed. These Myford lathes seem to attract a good price on the second hand market, but... Because you need to physically take gears out and put other ones in to make a thread, I never do it, I find that annoying. The largest piece that can go in it can't be more than 3 inches in diameter. So, I'm happy to have this lathe, but not so sure this is the lathe I would buy if I were to get one. The lathe you have seems to me a much better choice. It's kind of a dream to one day get a lathe like that, and a milling machine. :violin:

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:39 pm
by Eugen
thebuildist wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:25 am I can't imagine not having my lathe, though I've only had one for the last 10 years or so.

And there are very few things I need done that I can't find way to do, and I really do enjoy the process.

But I'm no master machinist. I'm too messy. I'm too impatient. I'm not methodical enough. I'm too eager to do it "quick and easy" instead of "perfect and repeatable." I care too much about "easy and functional" and not enough about producing "a work of art."
I'm very much like that too. "Don't let perfect be the enemy of good enough" applies to me a little too much. I seem to be in a hurry and not have enough time for anything to be done "the best I can". :109:

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:17 pm
by DavidBarkey
I am a 4 year general machinist apprentice, or was out of high school and it was my major . I never got my CFQ for that . The recession in the 80's my shop closed and could not get that kind of work locally and was not willing to travel for work so when into automotive like my father . That was a life time ago and I have forgot more than I remember from the machine shop . So like many of you I muddle my way through and make more scrap than good parts . It is a good thing must my material is someone elses scrap to begin with . I have had access to a lathe on and off over the years , but it been only about 5-6 years since I have had my own . Started with a 6-18 Atlas , now have a 10-18 China lathe . My dream lathe is a Standard Modern , the one we had in high school . Very sought after around here from my age group and hard to find a good one for less that $4000 .

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:10 pm
by Gordy
propane1 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:02 am I have never even used a lathe, couple people I know have them. I’ve made or fixed stuff at home here using back yard tools. Some fairly crude methods I used to make or fix stuff. A true machinist might have a stroke, looking at some of the stuff I’ve used and done. Hehehe. Certainly only minor stuff I’ve done. I did cut a slot in a 3/4 rod once for a woodruff key. I did it with a dremial tool, with the little cut off disks.

Short ramble.

Shadetree lathe, clamp a drill in the vise with the rod in the chuck and lock the trigger on :O Been there done that :thumbsup: One job was for Dad, he was looking for toys for the grand kids at garage sales, found a real .22 pistol in a big box of toys labeled $5 each :O The pin that held the 6 shot cylinder in place was replaced with the chromed handle section of one of those mini screwdrivers with the swivel plate on the end. The rod I had was .015 too big around, so chucked it in the drill and used a file and fine sand paper with the drill spinning. one end of the rod needed a nipple and the other end needed some groves for gripping with your fingers and another groove for the spring loaded keeper pin to catch in. Took about 45 minutes,tools used were dial caliper, several files and a hacksaw. :thumbsup: The first 6 shots were done chicken style with the gun in a vise and a looong string on the trigger :25:

Gordy

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:56 pm
by propane1
Sounds like things I would do. I have taped a level on the drill to do stuff. Like drilling a crank to put a hole in it, so I could tap it, to put a electric pto on that engine.

Noel

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:37 pm
by Jancoe
Hey I just got done using my lathe. Made up some special bushings for the travel and lift levers. One day I will have a lathe. In the mean time this makita gets the job done.Image

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:17 pm
by Timj
Gordy wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:10 pm
propane1 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:02 am I have never even used a lathe, couple people I know have them. I’ve made or fixed stuff at home here using back yard tools. Some fairly crude methods I used to make or fix stuff. A true machinist might have a stroke, looking at some of the stuff I’ve used and done. Hehehe. Certainly only minor stuff I’ve done. I did cut a slot in a 3/4 rod once for a woodruff key. I did it with a dremial tool, with the little cut off disks.

Short ramble.

Shadetree lathe, clamp a drill in the vise with the rod in the chuck and lock the trigger on :O Been there done that :thumbsup: One job was for Dad, he was looking for toys for the grand kids at garage sales, found a real .22 pistol in a big box of toys labeled $5 each :O The pin that held the 6 shot cylinder in place was replaced with the chromed handle section of one of those mini screwdrivers with the swivel plate on the end. The rod I had was .015 too big around, so chucked it in the drill and used a file and fine sand paper with the drill spinning. one end of the rod needed a nipple and the other end needed some groves for gripping with your fingers and another groove for the spring loaded keeper pin to catch in. Took about 45 minutes,tools used were dial caliper, several files and a hacksaw. :thumbsup: The first 6 shots were done chicken style with the gun in a vise and a looong string on the trigger :25:

Gordy
That's awesome Gordy. :highfive:

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:04 pm
by Gordy
Timj wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:17 pm
Gordy wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:10 pm

Short ramble.

Gordy
That's awesome Gordy. :highfive:
I had some Vans Bluing, it is a clear liquid you put on a cotton ball and rub it on the clean steel. It turns the steel black almost instantly. I had a hard time convincing Dad that I made it and did not buy it. Dad dickered the price down to $3 and ended up selling it for $150 :smash: I got a buffet dinner for my trouble :D

Gordy

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:58 am
by DavidBarkey
Nessessity and lack of $$$ is the mother of invention . :thumbsup:

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:22 am
by Eugen
Meanwhile I was sweating the 1/2 thousand of an inch deviation on the 5/16 reamer :109: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

At the end of the day we'll do whatever it takes to get the job done! You guys have some good examples of that! Respect! :thumbsup:

Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:42 pm
by Eugen
A rainy day and no parts here to do the 644 cylinders. Thought I'd take a look at the k361 head for warping. Sure enough a feeler gauge thicker than 3 thousands slipped between the head and a sheet of glass. Spending some time with a 60 grit surface. The seems somewhat surprised at all the attention it's getting. Still got more to go before switching to finer grit. :122: :violin:

C81E71CE-BAA2-403B-8847-36A2BA305688.jpeg

Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:29 pm
by DavidBarkey
Eugen wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:42 pm A rainy day and no parts here to do the 644 cylinders. Thought I'd take a look at the k361 head for warping. Sure enough a feeler gauge thicker than 3 thousands slipped between the head and a sheet of glass. Spending some time with a 60 grit surface. The seems somewhat surprised at all the attention it's getting. Still got more to go before switching to finer grit. :122: :violin:

C81E71CE-BAA2-403B-8847-36A2BA305688.jpeg
How is the top of the block for flat?

Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:31 pm
by Eugen
DavidBarkey wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:29 pm
Ahm... no idea :D

Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:47 pm
by DavidBarkey
Eugen wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:31 pm
DavidBarkey wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:29 pm
Ahm... no idea :D
Some times the head bolt deform the metal a bit around the holes . Sometimes they just need rechamfering .

Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:43 pm
by Eugen
When I get to it I'll check it out, thanks for pointing it out Dave! :thumbsup:

Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:16 pm
by JSinMO
I have no doubt you’ll get it flat. Just take some time. Remember copper coat is your friend!

Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:04 pm
by Eugen
JSinMO wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:16 pm I have no doubt you’ll get it flat. Just take some time. Remember copper coat is your friend!
Thanks Jeff, it'll be fine, it's not my first time, it worked well before. Just needs elbow grease :D

Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:50 pm
by Eugen
Was in the mood to do something different today so I heated these guys up with the propane torch and added some material to make it thicker. The plan is to throw them in the lathe and turn to size for interference fit and cold/hot pressing in the head.

F4C6707A-47FD-480A-B96F-55B84C72D400.jpeg

Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:14 pm
by DavidBarkey
Eugen wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:50 pm Was in the mood to do something different today so I heated these guys up with the propane torch and added some material to make it thicker. The plan is to throw them in the lathe and turn to size for interference fit and cold/hot pressing in the head.

F4C6707A-47FD-480A-B96F-55B84C72D400.jpeg
You may have to ream them out after pressing in the head . The weld will contract and shrink the bore .

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:56 am
by Eugen
DavidBarkey wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:14 pm You may have to ream them out after pressing in the head . The weld will contract and shrink the bore .
For sure!
Dim dim dim,
I scream
Spit the Jim Beam
I'm ready to ream
Weld with a light beam
Have no seam
Work like a team!

That's my morning rap. :D

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:04 pm
by propane1
Eugen wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:56 am
DavidBarkey wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:14 pm You may have to ream them out after pressing in the head . The weld will contract and shrink the bore .
For sure!
Dim dim dim,
I scream
Spit the Jim Beam
I'm ready to ream
Weld with a light beam
Have no seam
Work like a team!

:rolleyes: :giggle:

Noel

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:01 pm
by JSinMO
Eugen wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:56 am
For sure!
Dim dim dim,
I scream
Spit the Jim Beam
I'm ready to ream
Weld with a light beam
Have no seam
Work like a team!

I’m glad you were just rapping. I was worried you were having a stroke! :rofl:

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:39 am
by Eugen
After doing it once I noticed the "new" lathe chuck was not centred somehow and the turning was not right. So weld again, put the old chuck in, turn again. Kinda ready for the press. I'm debating whether to use jb weld too or not.
57EC83B5-A522-497D-92F5-A89529A6E49E.jpeg

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:04 pm
by Eugen
Oven heating the head and icy cold guides turned 3 mil larger diameter than the holes in the head. Didn't go in easy, hope it's a sign they don't come loose easily. Left a tiny collar of larger diameter on the inner end, because on the other side there's a snap ring. Hopefully that blocks the guides in the head from both sides.

Reamed too.

65FB139B-CAAA-434E-A746-B2CA6B0B6333.jpeg

I'd be a lot happier with new bronze sleeves in the guides. Maybe next time.

Forgot if I said already, but I measured the bore. It's standard at the edge of wear tolerance. If the head and valves turn out to be working well I will entertain the idea of going for a 001 over rebuild.

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:53 pm
by DavidBarkey
@Eugen I will have to drop over when it is running in something . Curious to hear the difference between flat head and ohv Kohlers under load .

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:08 pm
by Eugen
DavidBarkey wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:53 pm @Eugen I will have to drop over when it is running in something . Curious to hear the difference between flat head and ohv Kohlers under load .
Great idea! :cheers:

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:57 pm
by Eugen
With the valve guides firmly grafted into the head, I was wondering what state the seats are in. What do you know, one of the seats started turning in the head together with the seat cutter. Bad seat! -- says I. Proceeded to peen it, and then done that to the other for good measure. Cutting then went better, of course.

9924F907-801C-42EB-A80C-94FD3CC2A07F.jpeg
0E2F05D0-18AD-4DA9-9FA7-6E6936526BD9.jpeg

Next would be the valves.

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:41 am
by DavidBarkey
Do you have lapping compound ?
If not I have lots .

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:22 am
by Eugen
DavidBarkey wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:41 am Do you have lapping compound ?
If not I have lots .
Yes sir, thank you, got a tube of permatex. Even though some people say you don't need to do that with seats cut and valves faces re-ground I still do. :thumbsup:

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:48 am
by DavidBarkey
Eugen wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:22 am
If not I have lots .
Yes sir, thank you, got a tube of permatex. Even though some people say you don't need to do that with seats cut and valves faces re-ground I still do. :thumbsup:
:thumbsup:
I always do . If nothing more than to check the contact.

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:54 am
by Eugen
New valves for the K361 can no longer be found and no equivalent seems to exist. New face can be ground though.

In the machine the valve goes.
0C1624D6-781E-459A-A774-A547F9E4A1EF.jpeg

From this
422D3BD8-2431-478D-817E-B18D6868F12E.jpeg
it becomes this
86705255-2AF0-4C41-BCD9-EC18A41E21CD.jpeg

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:17 am
by DavidBarkey
Now that looks better . Those machines do a nice job .

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:37 am
by RoamingGnome
Nice job! :worship:
Do you have a valve grinding machine or did you take it to a shop?

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:46 am
by Eugen
RoamingGnome wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:37 am Nice job! :worship:
Do you have a valve grinding machine or did you take it to a shop?
Got a machine Gerry. :cheers:

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:07 pm
by RoamingGnome
I'll remember that :thumbsup: :cheers:

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:21 pm
by Eugen
RoamingGnome wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:07 pm I'll remember that :thumbsup: :cheers:
You're welcome to it anytime!

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:44 pm
by JSinMO
That awesome @Eugen great save! That should last a long time now. I’m seeing you opening a machine shop for these machines in the future! :thumbsup:

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:53 pm
by Eugen
Thanks Jeff, I don't think I have the patience or skill to do it for others as a business. Gives me pleasure to save these old machines, good enough for me. If I can help some fellow tractorist while at it so much the better. :D

Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:57 pm
by Eugen
I too have been messing around the shop these last few days, but not much, as I've had quite a lot on my plate. Wire brushed and cleaned all other parts that sit on the head; rockers, tubes and rods. Also points, valve cover assembly, cylinder cooling fins, stuff like that.

Unrelated to the engine, I played around with the lathe gears, got it configured for 24 tpi thread cutting and botched some rod trying to put a thread on it. :109:

Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:14 pm
by JSinMO
Sounds like you’re getting pretty close to final assembly and the first start up. Looking forward to that! :thumbsup:

As for the lathe any practice is good practice. I wish I had access to one but I get by!

Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:34 pm
by myerslawnandgarden
DavidBarkey wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:48 am
Eugen wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:22 am
If not I have lots .
:thumbsup:
I always do . If nothing more than to check the contact.
Standard practice nowadays with valves and seats is to machine with a 1 degree difference. Problem with lapping compound is that you destroy the interference angle. With regard to checking the contact and the location of the seat on the valve face, most of us use machinists blue dye and slap the valve against the seat a couple of times, then view the results.

Bob

Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:00 pm
by Eugen
myerslawnandgarden wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:34 pm
Standard practice nowadays with valves and seats is to machine with a 1 degree difference. Problem with lapping compound is that you destroy the interference angle. With regard to checking the contact and the location of the seat on the valve face, most of us use machinists blue dye and slap the valve against the seat a couple of times, then view the results.

Bob
I appreciate your input Bob. The seat cutter is 46 degrees and the valve face was ground to 45. I must say that the tiny bit of lapping I did with permatex lapping paste only matted a little bit of the mating surfaces. Didn't seem to me that the 1 degree was gone, just rotated the valve a few times. Will get some blue dye for next time to check the contact better. Should the fluid leak test always be done?

Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:12 pm
by myerslawnandgarden
Eugen,

My post regarding this subject was not to be critical, just trying to add another dimension to the discussion. If both the valve and seat have been machined, I see no need for a fluid leak test. Any deviations from the norm should be corrected as the two surfaces mate during the first few minutes of operation. That's one of the reasons that you cut the seat to 46 and the valve face to 45, then there is only a small amount of contact area that needs to wear in.

Bob

Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:29 pm
by Eugen
Remember this guy?

https://vimeo.com/804894901

Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:11 pm
by DavidBarkey
It's ALIVE , ALIVE I tell you . :congrats:
That needs to go into your new loader .

Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:33 pm
by Eugen
It's alive indeed Dave! :D Took my time to put it back together. The valve guides will never become loose again me thinks. This engine can benefit from a temperature gauge so as to not overheat.

The valves and seats are nicely done now, clearance adjusted. New gaskets in a lot of places, got a full set from eBay the other day.

I'm kinda sorry to put it in the loader, seems like wasted power. :hm: Not sure at all what to do with it.

Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:23 pm
by Harry
Eugen, wasted power. I would think no way. The 644 lbh has a K321 at 14 ponies. With the backhoe it doesnt even grunt, but if I’m moving dirt in the bucket and try to move to quickly it bogs down and I can hear the valves chatter. Moving firewood no problem, but a bucket full of dirt it seems like I could use a few extra ponies. :peace: Harry

Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:37 pm
by Eugen
Interesting @Harry , but my 644 doesn't skip a beat even with a bucket full of sand or gravel. I've done this quite a lot last summer. But I always use it in LO range. Except when I moved sand with it, full bucket, full trailer behind, and almost 500 lbs of weight equipped on the tractor. Total weight might have been close to 1000 lbs. There was a 200 ft stretch going on a slight incline uphill, then the K321 was struggling, but I made it slowly to the top. I wonder though, what the limitation of the hydraulic pump , or hydraulic drive, or TCV pressure relief valve is.

Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:43 pm
by JSinMO
Great job@Eugen ! :highfive:

If your not sure what to put it in maybe there’s another project tractor out somewhere that you can pick up. :thumbsup:

Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:56 pm
by DavidBarkey
Eugen wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:33 pm It's alive indeed Dave! :D Took my time to put it back together. The valve guides will never become loose again me thinks. This engine can benefit from a temperature gauge so as to not overheat.

The valves and seats are nicely done now, clearance adjusted. New gaskets in a lot of places, got a full set from eBay the other day.

I'm kinda sorry to put it in the loader, seems like wasted power. :hm: Not sure at all what to do with it.
226 :hm: :thumbsup:

Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:09 pm
by Harry
When I first purchased it the guy gave me a repair shops invoice that read what they did to rebuild the engine. Quite extensive with boring oversize piston new rings ect. At first never having a lbh before I took it easy in it to get use to using it. Last years I used it a lot and was not babying it at all. I use it in low gear unless have nothing in the bucket just traveling to get another load. I did get it stuck in the mud a few times because of the low hanging ballast weights. It usually just plows though the puddles but when the dirt is very wet it’s going to get stuck. One time I had to dump a bucket if dirt to push my way out with the bucket. :peace: Harry

Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:12 pm
by Harry
I’m thinking of a 20 hp Honda that I have on the shelf in my shop for the 644 lbh. :peace: Harry

Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:46 pm
by Eugen
That 20hp Honda engine will make your 644 a beast! :thumbsup:

Thanks @JSinMO ! There are some tractors here with broken engines. Just thought this engine could go into something more special. There was a guy on marketplace selling a thermo king 3-cyl diesel engine and I asked if he'd trade it for the k361 but he refused me. :124: I'd have wanted that diesel engine for the tracked trencher. I think the k361 is a little underpowered for the tracked machine. I would want 20 hp minimum for that machine. There's a kohler magnum 20 for sale around here, that would probably be ok, but unless I sell something, no $$ :124:

Dave, I don't have a 226 anymore :(

Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:44 pm
by DavidBarkey
Eugen wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:46 pm That 20hp Honda engine will make your 644 a beast! :thumbsup:

Thanks @JSinMO ! There are some tractors here with broken engines. Just thought this engine could go into something more special. There was a guy on marketplace selling a thermo king 3-cyl diesel engine and I asked if he'd trade it for the k361 but he refused me. :124: I'd have wanted that diesel engine for the tracked trencher. I think the k361 is a little underpowered for the tracked machine. I would want 20 hp minimum for that machine. There's a kohler magnum 20 for sale around here, that would probably be ok, but unless I sell something, no $$ :124:

Dave, I don't have a 226 anymore :(
I looked into the refer diesels , I don't like the way it add reads . Something is not right about that deal . Make your own K series 226 . out of a 22#

Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:31 pm
by RoamingGnome
DavidBarkey wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:44 pm [I looked into the refer diesels , I don't like the way it add reads . Something is not right about that deal . Make your own K series 226 . out of a 22#
I saw the ad for the Thermo King diesels too... But I'm trying to convince myself not to get anymore "projects" until I have a house and a "REAL" garage...