Kohler K361

Troubleshooting, rebuilding, repairing Kohler engines.
propane1 Canada

Re: Kohler K361

Post by propane1 »

Eugen wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:01 pm @propane1 what do you think about this? I sure would like one.

A04F78DA-8CAC-43F1-9E63-672A8D3235C7.jpeg
That’s neat.

Noel
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

I have never even used a lathe, couple people I know have them. I’ve made or fixed stuff at home here using back yard tools. Some fairly crude methods I used to make or fix stuff. A true machinist might have a stroke, looking at some of the stuff I’ve used and done. Hehehe. Certainly only minor stuff I’ve done. I did cut a slot in a 3/4 rod once for a woodruff key. I did it with a dremial tool, with the little cut off disks.

Short ramble.

Noel :D
thebuildist United States of America

Post by thebuildist »

I can't imagine not having my lathe, though I've only had one for the last 10 years or so.

And there are very few things I need done that I can't find way to do, and I really do enjoy the process.

But I'm no master machinist. I'm too messy. I'm too impatient. I'm not methodical enough. I'm too eager to do it "quick and easy" instead of "perfect and repeatable." I care too much about "easy and functional" and not enough about producing "a work of art."

So for me, who has always been the master of "duct tape and baling wire", the lathe just gives me "duct tape on steroids." The first time I ever "made one from scratch" because "it" was unavailable or too expensive, I was hooked for life.

Bob
"Never be afraid to try something new. How hard can it be?"
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

thebuildist wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:06 pm That's a South Bend 10" Jr. lathe. It's a pretty nice unit. Quick change gearbox, power feed in both axes. You're looking at a South Bend salesman's car, and it was an effective tactic.

There were some lathes that were arguably superior, or a better value than the South Bend, but South Bend became the gold standard.

I have its big brother, a 1941 South Bend Heavy 10. Similar overall, but built heavier, with a larger spindle with a larger through-hole and a factory taper attachment. Either it or my loader is my favorite possession. Depends on the weather. :lol:

You definitely do not want a Heavy 10 in the back of your station wagon.

Bob
Thanks for this info, I had no idea. The lathe I got is a Myford 7 and is not really mine, but a buddy's from work. He got it from someone else for free and had nowhere to put it, so he parked it in my shed. These Myford lathes seem to attract a good price on the second hand market, but... Because you need to physically take gears out and put other ones in to make a thread, I never do it, I find that annoying. The largest piece that can go in it can't be more than 3 inches in diameter. So, I'm happy to have this lathe, but not so sure this is the lathe I would buy if I were to get one. The lathe you have seems to me a much better choice. It's kind of a dream to one day get a lathe like that, and a milling machine. :violin:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

thebuildist wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:25 am I can't imagine not having my lathe, though I've only had one for the last 10 years or so.

And there are very few things I need done that I can't find way to do, and I really do enjoy the process.

But I'm no master machinist. I'm too messy. I'm too impatient. I'm not methodical enough. I'm too eager to do it "quick and easy" instead of "perfect and repeatable." I care too much about "easy and functional" and not enough about producing "a work of art."
I'm very much like that too. "Don't let perfect be the enemy of good enough" applies to me a little too much. I seem to be in a hurry and not have enough time for anything to be done "the best I can". :109:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

I am a 4 year general machinist apprentice, or was out of high school and it was my major . I never got my CFQ for that . The recession in the 80's my shop closed and could not get that kind of work locally and was not willing to travel for work so when into automotive like my father . That was a life time ago and I have forgot more than I remember from the machine shop . So like many of you I muddle my way through and make more scrap than good parts . It is a good thing must my material is someone elses scrap to begin with . I have had access to a lathe on and off over the years , but it been only about 5-6 years since I have had my own . Started with a 6-18 Atlas , now have a 10-18 China lathe . My dream lathe is a Standard Modern , the one we had in high school . Very sought after around here from my age group and hard to find a good one for less that $4000 .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Gordy United States of America

Post by Gordy »

propane1 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:02 am I have never even used a lathe, couple people I know have them. I’ve made or fixed stuff at home here using back yard tools. Some fairly crude methods I used to make or fix stuff. A true machinist might have a stroke, looking at some of the stuff I’ve used and done. Hehehe. Certainly only minor stuff I’ve done. I did cut a slot in a 3/4 rod once for a woodruff key. I did it with a dremial tool, with the little cut off disks.

Short ramble.

Shadetree lathe, clamp a drill in the vise with the rod in the chuck and lock the trigger on :O Been there done that :thumbsup: One job was for Dad, he was looking for toys for the grand kids at garage sales, found a real .22 pistol in a big box of toys labeled $5 each :O The pin that held the 6 shot cylinder in place was replaced with the chromed handle section of one of those mini screwdrivers with the swivel plate on the end. The rod I had was .015 too big around, so chucked it in the drill and used a file and fine sand paper with the drill spinning. one end of the rod needed a nipple and the other end needed some groves for gripping with your fingers and another groove for the spring loaded keeper pin to catch in. Took about 45 minutes,tools used were dial caliper, several files and a hacksaw. :thumbsup: The first 6 shots were done chicken style with the gun in a vise and a looong string on the trigger :25:

:cheers:
Gordy
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Sounds like things I would do. I have taped a level on the drill to do stuff. Like drilling a crank to put a hole in it, so I could tap it, to put a electric pto on that engine.

Noel
Jancoe United States of America

Post by Jancoe »

Hey I just got done using my lathe. Made up some special bushings for the travel and lift levers. One day I will have a lathe. In the mean time this makita gets the job done.Image

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

Gordy wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:10 pm
propane1 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:02 am I have never even used a lathe, couple people I know have them. I’ve made or fixed stuff at home here using back yard tools. Some fairly crude methods I used to make or fix stuff. A true machinist might have a stroke, looking at some of the stuff I’ve used and done. Hehehe. Certainly only minor stuff I’ve done. I did cut a slot in a 3/4 rod once for a woodruff key. I did it with a dremial tool, with the little cut off disks.

Short ramble.

Shadetree lathe, clamp a drill in the vise with the rod in the chuck and lock the trigger on :O Been there done that :thumbsup: One job was for Dad, he was looking for toys for the grand kids at garage sales, found a real .22 pistol in a big box of toys labeled $5 each :O The pin that held the 6 shot cylinder in place was replaced with the chromed handle section of one of those mini screwdrivers with the swivel plate on the end. The rod I had was .015 too big around, so chucked it in the drill and used a file and fine sand paper with the drill spinning. one end of the rod needed a nipple and the other end needed some groves for gripping with your fingers and another groove for the spring loaded keeper pin to catch in. Took about 45 minutes,tools used were dial caliper, several files and a hacksaw. :thumbsup: The first 6 shots were done chicken style with the gun in a vise and a looong string on the trigger :25:

:cheers:
Gordy
That's awesome Gordy. :highfive:
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace: