k301 stalling

Troubleshooting, rebuilding, repairing Kohler engines.
Gordy United States of America

Re: k301 stalling

Post by Gordy »

One winter my 224 did the run for 20 minutes and die, it would restart after 20 minutes of downtime. After it did it a number of times and alot of head scratching, I grabbed the coil to find it hot as a cup of coffee. I borrowed the coil from the wifes AC 912 and put it on the 224 and the problem went away. Now you said you replaced the coil, just to make sure did you use a coil with the internal resistor? A coil without the resistor will overheat and fail.

Several years later it would start running really rough and die, but if I quickly throttled down and gave it some chock I could keep it running, after several minutes I could push the choke in and throttle up. To shorten the story we found a buildup of black crud on the exhaust valve stem. Pulled the valve and cleaned it and she has been fine since.

:cheers:
Gordy
thebuildist United States of America

Post by thebuildist »

My K301 on my 442 was prone to running poorly on very hot days after it had been running for a while. I eventually decided it may be vapor lock, and put a bit of shielding between the exhaust pipe and the carb inlet area. It hasn't happened since.

Bob
"Never be afraid to try something new. How hard can it be?"
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Back ground on K301 . It is in the 222 I sold . I restored it a few years back and sold it . The guy moved and didn't need it so offered it back to me . Had to do a few repairs . Has not seen a lot of use last 2 years . Sold and delivered as part of a package this fall. The roads were rough and trailer is a low boy with out suspension . There was a problem with the starter generator after delivery . Thats been fixed (armature failed). Now this issue with the stalling .
Update on stalling .
definitely running out of fuel .
The fuel filter is being pulled empty by the pump.
Looked for kink or clasped line and check in the tank for screen plugged .
There is no screen and I am sure there was one . I think it was shock out on the drive .
There appear's to be crud in the pickup fitting .
Today I take it apart and have to come up with a screened fitting . :hm:
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Can not buy a screened 90 fitting . I have a screened 90 shut off coming to try to see if the is enough room for one . But until then I desided to make my own .
20221102_095340.jpg
plastic 90 screen from one of those little red fuel filter on B&S stuff . Rolled the screen and inserted in to fitting folded end over and crimp with pliers then heated screen to get it to melt into the plastic to keep it in place . Well put it back together and seam to be working . :thumbsup:
Tomorrow test drive .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Dave, that's exactly what I'd have done. I tried finding a replacement fitting with the screen and came empty handed. Your fix will last many years!
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

That’s a great fix Dave. I’m having an issue with my John Deere 140H3. Run for a minute or so then quit. I’m suspecting a stuck float. But could be a filter. Don’t use the tractor in the summer. But I start it every now and then. All of a sudden this trouble show up. I’ll see what I can find today hopefully.

Noel
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

After putting together the tractor I had to fix a broken piece of plastic on something else . I pull out my new plastic welding kit . and look what I found . :rofl: For those looking for screen to repair there tank fitting .here is an option if you do not need a plastic kit .
image.png
image.png
Stainless steel , can be formed into a tube and soldered to a brass fitting or melted into a plastic fitting . These tanks need a screen or the fitting plugs with the littlest thing because of the design of the pickup . Hope this finding will help others .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Happy to report that after the fuel pickup fitting was repaired . All is well and delivered back to new owner again . Hopefully it stays there and no more issues . Now to do something about softer trailer tires . Those 8 ply tires are way to stiff for that trailer , especially with no suspension . It was originally built with 1/2 ton truck spindle and tires which worked well for many years (close to 30 now ) . Then the :cuss: government change the rules and you have to have "trailer" tires . $$ being an issue I got a set from a tire shop for the cost of mounting them ($80 for 4 tires I was looking a gift horse in the mouth ) I don't carry cars on the trailer anymore (original purpose ) so need to find 15" trailer tires that I can run a little on the softer side to gain some suspension again .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Never heard of that here yet having to have trailer tire on trailer. Is that because of inspection Dave, that it’s that way ?

Noel
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Propane57 wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:43 am Never heard of that here yet having to have trailer tire on trailer. Is that because of inspection Dave, that it’s that way ?

Noel
Yes with the annual safety required for all trailers of more 1 axle must have working brakes and must appropriate specifically designed tires for the application , ie trailer tires for a trailer that suit the load rating of trailer .
This is what happens when you give a lic. out to people without have them pass a common sense test . Government has to Cidiot proof it all.
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder