3 pt. down pressure

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
Eugen Canada

Re: 3 pt. down pressure

Post by Eugen »

Really good points @JSinMO ! I have no experience with an auger, but it's a great example of things one should know. My 644 has up/down/float on the 3ph. Float is great for the moldboard plow and IF the plow is adjusted correctly it'll go to the right depth and stay there.

@Propane57 I think you're saying something similar, better know how to use down pressure or whatever feature, because it can work against you. In my case I have no way to add weight to the tiller, but I have big weights for the tractor rear wheels. Wheel weight, ag tires, plus some down pressure from the hitch and works great for tilling for me.

Have fun at the pull! Looking forward to see some pics! :cheers:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
FUTZ Canada

Post by FUTZ »

Noel, I'm surprised your Tea has down pressure. The Ag tractors I have known have depth control. There's a lever on the right hand side that you can set to a position. But they didn't push down.

I was going to mention lifting the rear wheels, but Noel already covered that.

I'm also thinking that in the early days of 3PH, a lot of Ag hydraulics was single acting, so, perhaps that set the standard. When I was a kid I use to drive an old IH crop master/narrow front with a loader/manure fork with manual latch release and single acting boom cylinders. Perhaps Noel knows what I'm talking about.
thebuildist United States of America

Post by thebuildist »

Well, I guess I've gotten what I asked for: A full-on masterclass about 3pts and downpressure.

I guess by having float on my 3 pt I get the best of both worlds.

Bob
"Never be afraid to try something new. How hard can it be?"
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

FUTZ wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:05 am Noel, I'm surprised your Tea has down pressure. The Ag tractors I have known have depth control. There's a lever on the right hand side that you can set to a position. But they didn't push down.

I was going to mention lifting the rear wheels, but Noel already covered that.

I'm also thinking that in the early days of 3PH, a lot of Ag hydraulics was single acting, so, perhaps that set the standard. When I was a kid I use to drive an old IH crop master/narrow front with a loader/manure fork with manual latch release and single acting boom cylinders. Perhaps Noel knows what I'm talking about.
Well I could be explaining the down pressure wrong on my tea FUTZ. But the more down I put the lever the harder it pushes down. Then the spring and cylinder that connect to the top link, keep the position it’s set at. If you drive over uneven ground the 3 point system will keep the setting with out it going up and down with the tractor. So in a way, I don’t have real down pressure I guess. Like you say, a depth control. My tea tractor has transmission pto, meaning the pto only operates with the tractor moving. Or put in neutral and let the clutch out. This will run the pto. And the hydraulic pump is run by the pto. So transmission hydraulics are quite different than live hydraulics. And there is a lever to turn the pto on or off on my tractor, but is normally left in the on position.
On a tractor with 3 point down pressure, having a float position would be a good thing. But if you where using the 3 point in the down pressure setting and when going over uneven ground, the 3 point attachment would follow the tractor. So I believe you then need draft control to let the tractor follow the uneven ground and the 3 point attachment would stay level. I could be wrong on that.

Yes I do FUTZ. Pressure up on the loader, gravity down. With a trip bucket. And they worked fine.

Well I got away of track on that ramble, didn’t I. All rambles are subject to change and can be done at any time. :giggle: :giggle:

Noel :D
BobAfton United States of America

Post by BobAfton »

Like Gordy said, sometimes down pressure helps when tilling, but I I like the down pressure on my J26 3pt when I install the rear wheel weights for Fall and Winter. I put jack stands under the 3pt (with F27 adapter) to raise the rear wheels so I can rotate them and fasten the weights.
Bob