4118 major PM

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
Eugen Canada

Re: 4118 major PM

Post by Eugen »

Timj wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:37 am Not much to report from this weekend, tractor time was limited to about an hour of measuring up and planning out :writing: the selector valve installation, and getting the last of the needed parts and hoses ordered. Because everything ties together, now is the time to get it done as it gets put back together.
Did get a little seat time today shuttling things around. :69:

As I don't know how having and using the two tractors is going to work out in the future, and as long as both will be getting new mid-lift hoses, I have decided to set both tractors up identical. Same selector valve in similar location, HH34 3pt set up with hydraulic quick couplers so it can be moved to either tractor. The quick couplers will also be set up to hook up hoses from other hydraulic power needs. (Future project, adding a power angle cylinder to the front blade) :smash:
you definitely got your work cut out for you Tim. I'm probably not understanding well, but you say adding a power cylinder blade to the front, yet you're talking about quick couplers at the back. :hm:

Similar to you, no seat time for me. On Saturday we had a new stove/oven delivered, the old one was old and broke down, we figured a new one makes more sense. A little scary with all the electronics they come now, it's connected to wi-fi :O ! So it got delivered just as our little dog was taking his last breaths (longer story :( ). Was one of those weekends, where you are reminded everything ends and moments in life are precious. There, inserted a little ramle in your thread Tim, hope you don't mind.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

Eugen wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:48 am
Timj wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:37 am Not much to report from this weekend, tractor time was limited to about an hour of measuring up and planning out :writing: the selector valve installation, and getting the last of the needed parts and hoses ordered. Because everything ties together, now is the time to get it done as it gets put back together.
Did get a little seat time today shuttling things around. :69:

As I don't know how having and using the two tractors is going to work out in the future, and as long as both will be getting new mid-lift hoses, I have decided to set both tractors up identical. Same selector valve in similar location, HH34 3pt set up with hydraulic quick couplers so it can be moved to either tractor. The quick couplers will also be set up to hook up hoses from other hydraulic power needs. (Future project, adding a power angle cylinder to the front blade) :smash:
you definitely got your work cut out for you Tim. I'm probably not understanding well, but you say adding a power cylinder blade to the front, yet you're talking about quick couplers at the back. :hm:

Similar to you, no seat time for me. On Saturday we had a new stove/oven delivered, the old one was old and broke down, we figured a new one makes more sense. A little scary with all the electronics they come now, it's connected to wi-fi :O ! So it got delivered just as our little dog was taking his last breaths (longer story :( ). Was one of those weekends, where you are reminded everything ends and moments in life are precious. There, inserted a little ramle in your thread Tim, hope you don't mind.
Don't mind a bit, I'm truly sorry about your dog. We have two old Labs and know that day is coming. Dogs become such a part of the family, it makes it hard because their lives are so much shorter than ours.

I'm going to mount my quick couplers under the tractor at the selector valve and the TCV to minimize the amount of permanent plumbing under the tractor. The short hoses will stay with the three point, and longer hoses from the blade back. May rethink plumbing permanent lines to the front if I can think of a reason I would need any other hydraulic up front.
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

That sounds good, thanks for the explanation. It kinda surprises me that Case did not go this route, with hydraulic ports at the front of the tractor. I bought my moldboard plow from a guy who was into JD. He had a nice 318 and told me I should get one. Seemed to me like a nice big garden tractor, and liked that it had the two hydraulic ports at the front. But yes, to get the ports there, the pipes must be routed, and quickly one runs out of space under there. One has to compromise somewhere and carefully weigh priorities. Case reminds me of Apple in computers; within their universe you got all you need to do your work, but if you step out you find not much compatibility. Perhaps JD is like Windows, where you can "attach" all kind of things, not necessarily they fit or work well, but you can. Ramble #2. :D
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

It might be handy to have hydraulics set up at the front of the tractor for future use. Depending on what your doing the tractor could be pulled up and used as auxiliary power to all kinds of equipment.

@Eugen
What you were saying about case not putting remotes up front makes me wonder if there was a proprietary reason at the time. Kind of like years ago when each manufacturer had there own system to attach implements. Now days 3 point is the standard but back then only Ford and Ferguson had it.

Post by Timj »

JSinMO wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:28 pm It might be handy to have hydraulics set up at the front of the tractor for future use. Depending on what your doing the tractor could be pulled up and used as auxiliary power to all kinds of equipment.

@Eugen
What you were saying about case not putting remotes up front makes me wonder if there was a proprietary reason at the time. Kind of like years ago when each manufacturer had there own system to attach implements. Now days 3 point is the standard but back then only Ford and Ferguson had it.
The hydraulics I'm working on and running are only fed off the lift circuit of the TCV, could be set up but lift circuit is only in the 500-600psi range. Not much GPM with 1/4" lines, at this time I don't see much other than an angel cylinder for me, but we'll see. I don't know if hydraulic chute control on the snow caster is practical vs an electric actuator. For big flow and power to run attachments I have the rear hydraulic PTO.

Post by Timj »

A couple of goodie boxes showed up today. If the hose clamps would come I could get on the return lines.
KIMG0489.JPG
New hoses attached to the mid lift cylinder
KIMG0493.JPG
Hoses and quick coupler attached to TCV
KIMG0492.JPG
Selector valve mocked up for placement
KIMG0491.JPG
I went with quarter turn three way ball valves instead of the push pull selector valve. They are smaller and about a third the price.
KIMG0495.JPG
All that is left is to make a little bracket, drill some holes and mount the valve.
:geek: Tim

Post by Timj »

Got a couple hours to work on the 4118 tonight. The hose clamps finally came in.
KIMG0502~2.JPG
I got the selector valve mounted and the hoses hooked up.
KIMG0498.JPG
KIMG0501.JPG
Put the new low pressure hydraulic lines on and remounted the hydraulic filter and oil cooler.
KIMG0503.JPG
KIMG0504.JPG
After a quick double check of all connections, I guess it's ready to fill with oil and see if there's any leaks. :42:
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Looks good Tim! No reason for leaks I'd say. :D
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E

Post by Timj »

So it's been a few months of not really touching this project. You all know how there always has to be an "issue" right. :pullhair: No good deed goes unpunished they say. Yeppers leaks :124: got a few. Was thinking this project was actually not that bad.
With moving my business home there was no time or way to deal with it, so Ingy got pushed to the back of the shed and buried in stuff. Other priorities took over. Well now I have a little time to work on it and really probably should get it done before snow, kinda going to need the blower before :hitsfan: .

Leak #1- haven't dug into it much but think it's the selector valve itself, ohh well I'll get to it.

Leak #2- :45: Stu (short for stupid dumb $h*t) buggered up the thread on one of the nipples on the power steering with the wrench while removing another hose. :headbash: Don't Use an Open End Wrench to take these hoses off. :no:
About the worst fitting to screw up, it's fitted into the bottom of the power steering unit. :((
So I dug around a little for fixes, tried some of these
KIMG0570.JPG
Didn't help, too buggered up. So got this little diamond hone for fixing jic 37° fittings
KIMG0573.JPG
Got lucky and this hole in the cross frame lined up and with a long extension was able to grind the fitting without removing the steering unit from the tractor.
KIMG0493.JPG
Refilled with oil today and I think I got it. :please:

Leak #3-showed today looks like just tighten up a hose clamp.

Sorry I didn't get more pics.
Last edited by Timj on Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

That must've been :cuss: frustrating Tim! Hope it's smoother sailing going forward! :spin:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E