4118 major PM

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
Timj United States of America

4118 major PM

Post by Timj »

:creeper: I had planned to do this later this summer or fall, but was forced to move things up. I was almost done mowing yesterday, came back to the tractor after lighting the grill to find a puddle of oil on top of the deck. :109: couldn't see where through the side vents, parked it and :drink: .
Opened it up this morning, nothing major, hose to the power steering leaking. The majority of the hoses on this tractor are original.
KIMG0449.JPG
The leak was in the hose going from the pump to feed the steering. This would have been the hose that could have been replaced without removing the other hoses. But really, it's only a matter of time before one of the others will fail.
KIMG0452.JPG
Drained the oil. Disconnected travel and lift rods, got main hydraulic line out of the way. Removed line from pump, TCV, and steering cylinder.
KIMG0453.JPG
Worked my way around the steering valve disconnecting lines.
Then moved on to remove the low pressure return hoses. These really showed their age after last winter.
KIMG0459.JPG
Hood off and cooler removed.
KIMG0461.JPG
Removing return from pump and unbolting filter bracket allowed the hard line and hoses to be slid forward to get clamps loosened and hoses removed, then hoses and cooler could be slid out.
KIMG0458.JPG
KIMG0460.JPG
Now to get the needed parts and hoses and put back together. Then replace the mid lift hoses run new gas line, open the rear end and check the differential bolts, maybe install selector valve.
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
Eugen Canada

Re: 4118 major PM

Post by Eugen »

Forced to do preemptive maintenance sometimes is a blessing in disguise. But then you can expect years of trouble free service! :thumbsup:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Looks like a big job @Timj . I have never worked on any CCI that new . Curious. The Onan cooling air vents forward, and see the fan for the cooler . Does it suck cool air in from the front or blow the hot air out through the oil cooler ?
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

The fans direct air in to cool the oil.
Keep the Peace :peace: :cop:
Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Harry wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:06 am The fans direct air in to cool the oil.
Keep the Peace :peace: :cop:
Harry
Thanks Harry . So hot air out the bottom ?
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder

Post by Timj »

@DavidBarkey I was thinking the same thing. t
The fan pulls air in through the cooler. There must be enough void at the center of the engine and deflection downward that the fan doesn't seem to fight the air being blown forward through the engine. The engine cooling fins are incredibly clean.

I think Ingersoll turning the engine around was a positive, not blowing all the heat back in the summer.

It's a fairly big project but due. Figuring out what to remove to get access and in what order is challenging. Had about 4.5hrs in it today.
Seabee United States of America

4118 major PM/refurbishing

Post by Seabee »

Hey Tim,

Good going and good luck to you on this project. After about the 8th repaint on the rear fenders, it appears as though I have no runs in the paint, and the clear coat looks good! I may finish mine by the end of August!!!!!!! In December I will have owned this thing for 5 years, and been restoring/refurbishing it for the last 4 years! Maybe!

Might as well do it right while you have it apart!

Bill Moyer
Bill Moyer

Re: 4118 major PM/refurbishing

Post by Timj »

Seabee wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:41 pm Hey Tim,

Good going and good luck to you on this project. After about the 8th repaint on the rear fenders, it appears as though I have no runs in the paint, and the clear coat looks good! I may finish mine by the end of August!!!!!!! In December I will have owned this thing for 5 years, and been restoring/refurbishing it for the last 4 years! Maybe!

Might as well do it right while you have it apart!

Bill Moyer
Thanks Bill, I was thinking about you the other day when I was tearing it apart. Was wondering how yours was coming along, and praying I wouldn't have to pull the engine to get the low pressure lines out.
:geek: Tim
ssmewing United States of America

Post by ssmewing »

With the number of tractors that I see I have come to a conclusion based on consistent evidence, that all 4 digit tractors are now old enough that the quarter-inch hoses are either leaking or will be leaking soon. I can only assume the hose was bought on a large spool and used to make the hose assemblies.

The way they leak makes them hard to find. These hoses mostly do not see anything more than momentary use. Power steering models see more use of the power steering hoses.

The rubber has gotten to the point that they leak in at least 2 ways. One is the leak is oozing through the length of the hose. This leak will show itself by appearing covered with just enough dampness that it is covered in dirt and grass. The second way they can leak is at the crimp for the fitting to the hose. You may see very little dirt on this hose. The mid-lift hoses are just as likely as the power steering hoses to leak in the same ways.

So, when I get in a tractor that the owner wants to be renewed, which is what I get most of the time, I replace all the quarter-inch hoses. When these hoses leak it is usually just a quarter-size spot of oil.

I have a guy that buys up Ingersoll tractors and then brings them to me. He is very demanding about what the tractor is like when I am done. Finding the quarter-inch hose leak took many washings and uses to actually see the leak. His tractors are my most challenging ones. He buys most of them at auctions. So, no history along with when they go to auction most of the time someone gave up on them. I do not even get a complete list of what is wrong with them. He buys them and either drives them or pushes them into his trailer and then they come to me.

Post by Timj »

ssmewing wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:37 am With the number of tractors that I see I have come to a conclusion based on consistent evidence, that all 4 digit tractors are now old enough that the quarter-inch hoses are either leaking or will be leaking soon. I can only assume the hose was bought on a large spool and used to make the hose assemblies.

The way they leak makes them hard to find. These hoses mostly do not see anything more than momentary use. Power steering models see more use of the power steering hoses.

The rubber has gotten to the point that they leak in at least 2 ways. One is the leak is oozing through the length of the hose. This leak will show itself by appearing covered with just enough dampness that it is covered in dirt and grass. The second way they can leak is at the crimp for the fitting to the hose. You may see very little dirt on this hose. The mid-lift hoses are just as likely as the power steering hoses to leak in the same ways.

So, when I get in a tractor that the owner wants to be renewed, which is what I get most of the time, I replace all the quarter-inch hoses. When these hoses leak it is usually just a quarter-size spot of oil.

I have a guy that buys up Ingersoll tractors and then brings them to me. He is very demanding about what the tractor is like when I am done. Finding the quarter-inch hose leak took many washings and uses to actually see the leak. His tractors are my most challenging ones. He buys most of them at auctions. So, no history along with when they go to auction most of the time someone gave up on them. I do not even get a complete list of what is wrong with them. He buys them and either drives them or pushes them into his trailer and then they come to me.
I agree with you Steve, they are at that age, and if you are going to change one, change them all while you are in there.
I changed the two 3pt. Hoses last year, they're easy. I got lucky, my power steering hose sprung small leak right at bottom of bend, and was perfectly obvious. No trying to hunt anything down, but they are all getting replaced anyway.
:highfive: