My 644 gave up the ghost

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
propane1 Canada

Re: My 644 gave up the ghost

Post by propane1 »

Check the timing. Late timing will make it run hot. Did you check the timing yet. ??????

Thick carb gasket makes more power too !!!! Atomizes the fuel better and makes big power Eugen.

To set the high speed jet, run at full throttle warmed up. Turn jet to the lean side. When engine starts to change sound stop. Then turn out to the rich side, counting the turns out until the engine changes sound. If 4 turns, then turn back towards the lean side 2 turns. Should be sounding good at that setting. Now turn the jet to the rich side, 1/4 turn. It’s now set correctly.
Your turns could be any amount. I just used 4 as an example. So whatever the amount of turns out, go back 1/2 the amount of turns.

Clear as mud ayyy. Sorry if I don’t explain very well.

Noel
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Propane57 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:38 pm Check the timing. Late timing will make it run hot. Did you check the timing yet. ??????
Not yet Noel, you didn't tell me to do that before so I thought it wasn't needed! :109: I'm just following orders! Now I have to look at how I check timing, but I don't have a timing light. :headbash:
Thick carb gasket makes more power too !!!! Atomizes the fuel better and makes big power Eugen.
Oooooooh! Great! I will put two or three gaskets then!!! :worship:
To set the high speed jet, run at full throttle warmed up. Turn jet to the lean side. When engine starts to change sound stop. Then turn out to the rich side, counting the turns out until the engine changes sound.
I tried, it doesn't change sh**t sound, I can close it completely, or open it completely. :hm: Newish looking carb from the People Republic of you know where.
If 4 turns, then turn back towards the lean side 2 turns. Should be sounding good at that setting. Now turn the jet to the rich side, 1/4 turn. It’s now set correctly.
Your turns could be any amount. I just used 4 as an example. So whatever the amount of turns out, go back 1/2 the amount of turns.

Clear as mud ayyy. Sorry if I don’t explain very well.

Noel
Explanation is perfect Noel, just like in the manual, by the way. Did you write the manual? I'm not kidding, it's almost exactly the same. :thumbsup:

I have an old Kohler genuine carb that I think I cleaned up some time ago, maybe I try that one.

Hey, the place I work gave us a day off today, President day they say. I am not complaining, I got to dig a little with the backhoe, and move a little dirt with the 644. :cheers:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Hehe. I’m not writing it out of the manual Eugen. It’s just the way I do it. Learned some how thou.

If your not getting any changes. Some thing is screwy with the carb I'd guess.

Don’t need a timing light Eugen to check timing. Look up static timing on that engine.
I could tell you but it’s been a few month since I did it. And can’t quite remember exactly. And I would be a lot of typing. Hehe. But you do need a continuity tester. Static or timing light will give basically the same results and you'd never know and difference between the two methods. But they say the timing light is more accurate.

Noel
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Propane57 wrote: ↑
Check the timing. Late timing will make it run hot. Did you check the timing yet. ??????

I was teasing you some there Eugen. Hehe. But, if it’s running hot, it’s one thing to check. Happened to me on two engines. Engine bonnet was so hot you couldn’t touch it.

And why it hot when you have late timing is, hopefully I explain this right.
Spark happens late, explosion is then late. So when the piston gets to the end of its power stroke, and it starts back up on exhaust stoke a bit, the fuel mixture is still exploding some. So it sends hotter exhaust gasses than normal out the exhaust system which makes the engine and surrounding components hotter. And this is why a late timed engine has lack of power. The fuel mixture is still burning at the very end of the power stroke, which at that point doesn’t produce any power. Fuel wasted. Fuel mixture should stop exploding about 3/4’s or a little more from the end of the power stroke. Now to far advanced spark is a whole or story. Again lack of power and othe troubles.

Holy cats , that was quite a ramble. I’m tired out now. :giggle:

Noel
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Thank you Noel, good ramble! I'm learning!

I'll check the service manual for how to check timing.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

But it seems I'm facing a very difficult problem, because it happened exactly when it was out of gas in the tank. :109: :rofl:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

:writing:
Attachments
C2F71DD4-E767-4986-B349-2F7AD3F6B200.jpeg
170EAABD-A0DE-4980-B8DE-03E6F5DA5A33.jpeg
5E4E677D-896C-4659-8882-4685918DE404.jpeg
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Looks good.

They don’t work very well with out fuel.

Eugen. :45: :giggle: :giggle:

Noel
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

I hate when that happens!
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

@Eugen Colour looks good, good mix . No sign of detonation ,and there is still some black around the end of the threads which tells me that it is not to hot or did not run long .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder