Another thing to look at on my 648

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
Spike188 Canada

Re: Another thing to look at on my 648

Post by Spike188 »

Thanks for the post @ssmewing. Now I can stop looking for the mounting bracket to post a picture of. It is buried somewhere in my clutter and will probably show up this week then get lost again. :headbash:
Spike Colt - 9 & 10, Case - 108, 118, 444, 446, 448, 646, 646bh, Ingersoll 4016, 4118AH
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

The last tip is the one that will tell you when you have a like-new travel control, the foot pedal should stop short of the floorboard.
[/quote]

Thanks for the tip. I think I got it pretty close. Before the foot pedal would go all the way to the floor. Now it is as you stated, it stops short of it.
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Likewise thank you for the tip @ssmewing , mine travels to the floor. Now I know how it should be.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:

Post by JSinMO »

I figured I’d continue this thread just to keep my work on the 648 together.
It’s leaking hydraulic oil so bad at this point it’s basically useless so time to pull it in the shop.
IMG_4640.jpeg
I’d like to get a couple of housekeeping item out there before I jump into this.

First, this is NOT going to be a tutorial! This will be the first time I’ve ever worked on hydraulic cylinders, I’ll be learning as I go! I’ll probably do more things wrong than right, but I really want to gain the knowledge and ability to work on stuff like this, and the way that works for me is to get my hands on it! On that note hanging around with you all has helped me gain the confidence to try something new, even though it feels a little daunting, so thank you all! :thumbsup:

Secondly, I have been in contact with Bob @myerslawnandgarden and Ryan @CaseIngersollNE and I want to say these are very knowledgeable, very helpful fellas! It’s really nice to have people that have the experience and willingness to help. If you haven’t done business with them you should! Thank you guys I appreciate it!

Now on with the tomfoolery!
The quick and dirty backstory on this tractor is that I stumbled upon it sitting under a guys back porch and I had to have it! It had sat uncovered, non running for 10 years. If you want to see more of the story of what we have done so far you can find it here.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=702

The power steering cylinder is leaking so bad I leave a trail of oil everywhere I go so it has to be addressed. Unfortunately at this point there is no kit readily available to rebuild it. Ryan is looking into it so fingers crossed on that. The lift and dump cylinders are also leaking and I decided I’m going to go through them all and have the tractor done. I’ll worry about the backhoe later. It not as bad at this point.

Today we will be doing some exploratory surgery.
Everything is covered with dirt and oil so some disassembly and cleaning will be my first step.
IMG_4642.jpeg
IMG_4643.jpeg
I took the bucket cylinder off partly to figure out how to get it apart, and partly to stop it from dripping.
IMG_4644.jpeg
The lift arms and bucket cylinders all have snap rings but the power steering cylinder needs a gland wrench and I don’t have one so I decided to make one.
I basically cut a fork out and welded roll pin to it. This is the unholy piece of barnyard butchery I came up with! :rofl:
IMG_4647.jpeg
I suppose I don’t have to say it didn’t work! As soon as I put pressure on I bent it. :109: :30: I’d have to make something heavier for sure. I’m going to have to see if I can find a spanner made for this.

You can see the seal on the power steering cylinder is very messed up! It’s hard as a brick and looks to be pushed out of position.
IMG_4648.jpeg
After clean up I can see the seals are wet and leaking.
IMG_4650.jpeg
With everything cleaned up that’s where I stopped for today. I’m not going to try and take cylinders apart until I get parts in.
IMG_4649.jpeg
RoamingGnome Canada

Post by RoamingGnome »

Looking forward to reading more of your 648 repair adventures.

My Case 530CK (the full size backhoe) basically leaks from every hose, cylinder and orifice possible. The valve under the steering wheel is leaking so badly I wore a pair of rain pants the last time I moved it. I've promised myself not to start playing with it until I get the steering valve resealed and all the cylinders off and repacked.
'68 Case 195, '84 Case 446, '88 Ingersoll 222 - and 1965 Case 530ck (fullsize backhoe)
CaseIngersollNE United States of America

Post by CaseIngersollNE »

Thanks for the kind words and shut out. Glad to help and looking forward to seeing your progress! We will be talking soon.Ryan
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

@JSinMO Take a real close look for any pitting on the shafts that will pass the seals when retracted all the way . That will need to be addressed before new seals . Hopefully all the cylinders were fully retracted when parked before you got it and it's just old hard seals .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

@JSinMO I have pretty much explained a sure way of getting the right size of all the seals you need, when a kit does not exist. I have done this on all the cylinders I have repacked: all cylinders on my old 644, plus one cylinder on my current 644, and two cylinders on the big case, plus all cylinders on my D100 backhoe. Honestly, it's really easy. All you need is a $25 caliper which you'll keep for many years anyway, if you don't have one. If you'd like more details let me know, just trying to help.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Jancoe United States of America

Post by Jancoe »

I'll look up my notes. I believe there was 2 different cylinders used on the 648. The later is the same as the 6018 one. I have aftermarket seal numbers for that later cylinder.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Post by JSinMO »

@Jancoe Thank you. I have think this is either a 1980 or 81 and has the earlier style.

@Eugen Yes please. I’m sorry I had forgotten that you had posted that information. If I’m telling the truth I’m pretty apprehensive about this project and I’m not sure why. I guess it’s a combination of being the first time for this and not wanting to get the wrong parts. I’ve order the seals for the lift cylinders and bucket tilt already so the power steering is the only one in question. Thank you.

@RoamingGnome That made me grin! Putting on rain gear to run the tractor is dedication!