Another thing to look at on my 648

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
THEOTHERHALF United States of America

Re: Another thing to look at on my 648

Post by THEOTHERHALF »

congratulations on your success, it is motivation for others with the case ingersoll hobby, thanks for posting all the pictures, Kyle :creeper:
CaseIngersollNE United States of America

Post by CaseIngersollNE »

Great job man! Knew you could get it done! And we are very glad to help! And thank you for the help and being the part of the R and D we have been needing to do this for awhile and this forced us to do it Lol. And Thanks To Bob at Myers Lawn And Garden For sending you my way as me and Bob are good friends and do a lot together and he knows we here have been working on all kinds of seal kits. So yes we will now stock a true seal kit for the early 648 PS cylinders, as far as I can tell there never was a "Kit" for these early ones, Just the later PS 648 cylinders. It was only individual parts you could get for the early and were not cheap, if I recall ONE of the seals alone was over $40 form Ingersoll when they were last available and I do not think they have been available for a very long time. But now they are! We will have them at caseingersolltractors.com very soon along and we have another kit we are in the final stages of that we are very excited about being able to offer soon! Thanks Ryan
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

@JSinMO I had quite a bit of self-doubt on my first two cylinders or so, so I know how it feels and I think it's normal when you don't do something very often or when you do it for the first time. I'm really glad it all worked out well and your machine is back to normal.

It's also very nice to see people are helping each other! :thumbsup:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

Working on hydraulics can be a daunting experience for sure. You have to jump in and get it done. Sometimes experience is the best educator. 👍✌️Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

Well I wanted to do some work clearing this area out.
IMG_4761.jpeg
This is the place I’d like to plant sunflowers with the hope they will draw in game birds for hunting and this fall. I kinda have to get moving on it, I need to plant by late April to have whatever plants that grow ready in time.

I went up and started digging the honey suckle out with the 648 and it was working well, but the cylinder for the bucket is leaking and I just couldn’t stand it.
Back into the shop with it!
IMG_4762.jpeg
You guys were right. I feel much more comfortable dive into this now that I’ve done a couple. I had it apart pretty quickly.
IMG_4763.jpeg
I found a shop a couple towns over that said they could size everything up so I got the seals gland and piston in a box. Hopefully I can get seals tomorrow and slap it back together tomorrow night. :please:
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

All three cylinders on the boom should be the same. When I did mine I did them all at the same time. 👍✌️Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226

Post by JSinMO »

Harry wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:45 am All three cylinders on the boom should be the same. When I did mine I did them all at the same time. 👍✌️Harry
You are correct. I did go ahead and seals for all three. Just don’t know when I’m going to put them all in yet. :thumbsup:

Post by JSinMO »

Well fellas spring seems to be upon us around here and the long list of things to do to get ready for summer isn’t getting shorter. But I wanted to start the day digging with the 648 for just a little bit. Kind of a test and tune to see how my repairs did. Things escalated quickly from there and the day turned into a full on deforestation operation!
IMG_3662.jpeg
For anyone reading this that’s thinking about getting into the GT world one of these Case tractors really should be at the top of your list! This is the first time I’ve gotten to spend a full day working this tractor and doing a lot of digging. I must say I’m very impressed!

I ran the engine at about 1/4 throttle and that was more than enough, plenty of power!

I dug out several stumps with no problem!
IMG_4770.jpeg
IMG_4769.jpeg
The tractor ran great all day! :69:

I got big brother out to work as the dozer to move brush out of the way.
IMG_4779.jpeg

And the 2N got a workout grading the ground off.
IMG_4785.jpeg
All and all a very enjoyable day!
IMG_4782.jpeg
I do have a couple of items that will need to be addressed for repair after working every thing. :45:

I quickly knocked the muffler off the 830 running through the brush. :45: if you ever see my tractors you’ll notice they all have floppy mufflers and this is why. I’d much prefer to break a loose muffler when a tree limb hits it than an exhaust manifold with a muffler secured to it that won’t move!

Secondly the 830 now has leaking cylinders on the loader! :109: Glad I just learned how to repair them!

Lastly and most importantly I noticed the left stabilizer wouldn’t retract, it would run down but not up.

I tied it up and ran back to the shop.
IMG_4783.jpeg
I disassembled the stabilizer and found the cylinder rod had broken where it pins to the foot! :headbash:
IMG_4787.jpeg
I think it can be welded but it’s beyond my capabilities. I have a couple of friends that are much more experienced so I’ll have to ask them if they will help me weld it back up.

Even with a few hiccups I would call today’s operation a resounding success! I’m wore out but what a great way to spend a day!
RoamingGnome Canada

Post by RoamingGnome »

Thanks @JSinMO It's great to see photos of your backhoe at work, I wish they weren't so rare in my area. Looks like you had a really productive day :thumbsup: I'll have to keep looking - one would make a really good addition to the collection of Case tractors up at the property... :cheers:
'68 Case 195, '84 Case 446, '88 Ingersoll 222 - and 1965 Case 530ck (fullsize backhoe)
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Digger action is the best Jeff, awesome! :j

Sucks about the stabilizer rod but it's not too bad a repair. My old stabilizer rods were in bad shape and I had two new made. But one of the old ones had the bottom piece broken and welded on and it seemed to be like that for many years. That was not the reason I made new ones though, it was because the chrome all the way up was damaged. I'm sure you'll have it fixed and it'll work good for many years. :thumbsup:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush: