Another thing to look at on my 648

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
JSinMO United States of America

Re: Another thing to look at on my 648

Post by JSinMO »

Hey Hey they finally got here!
IMG_4677.jpeg
Now I got to have time to go work on it!
myerslawnandgarden United States of America

Post by myerslawnandgarden »

Timj wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:37 pm I just learned today that our area will no longer have an evening mail truck picking up from the Post Offices and taking mail to the regional sorting center. There will only be a morning run. Im going to have to figure out another way to get my water samples to the lab. :headbash: :cuss:
Tim,

You might consider Spee-Dee Delivery since you're in Wisconsin as long as your lab is in their delivery area. They are expanding service into the Kansas City area April 8th.

Bob
CaseIngersollNE United States of America

Post by CaseIngersollNE »

JSinMO wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:38 pm Hey Hey they finally got here!IMG_4677.jpeg
Glad you got them, they were in you state 2 days from shippin CT and bounced around for a week....Insane!! And ridiculous :cuss: ...
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

JSinMO wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:38 pm Hey Hey they finally got here!IMG_4677.jpeg
Awesome!! Were you able to get a kit for the steering cyl?

Jeff, one thing I'd recommend, just to be on the safe side. I'm sure you got the right kits, but I tend to be on the cautious side and if I were you I'd take out the old seals and o-rings carefully and I'd compare them visually with those you got. It doesn't hurt to make sure they're the same size. Wish you an easy installation!
:cheers:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:

Post by JSinMO »

Eugen wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:59 pm

Jeff, one thing I'd recommend, just to be on the safe side. I'm sure you got the right kits, but I tend to be on the cautious side and if I were you I'd take out the old seals and o-rings carefully and I'd compare them visually with those you got. It doesn't hurt to make sure they're the same size. Wish you an easy installation!
No I haven’t been able to get the power steering cylinder apart yet. I ordered a proper wrench for it and that is supposed to be here Thursday, then it’s just down to having the time to try it again.

Yes good point I will definitely be comparing the new seals to the old ones to make sure there good before it all goes back together! :thumbsup:
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

Eugen wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:59 pm

Yes, that’s an excellent :idea: Eugen. :highfive: Harry :peace:
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226

Post by JSinMO »

I had a a little time today to continue working on the 648. The tools I ordered came in so I had to try the gland wrench first thing.
IMG_4678.jpeg
The cap on the power steering came loose easily! :69: The gland is aluminum and I was worried about tearing it up. I’m glad I ordered the spanner. I would have like for my home made tool to work, but sometimes you just need the right tool! I decided not to disassemble it yet, i want to get the others done first and getting it loose was what I worried about.

I took the lift cylinder rod I already had out and chucked it into the vice. I used a block of wood to support it.
IMG_4679.jpeg
I was able to disassemble it with no problems and started cleaning thing up.
Looking over things I don’t think these cylinders have ever been apart before. There’s basically nothing left of the wipers but it seems the were some sort of fiber material.
IMG_4680.jpeg
I spent more time cleaning the parts than anything else! I also noticed the back up rings on the piston were a fiber material as well. Not sure if you’ll be able to see the difference between the old and new in this picture.
IMG_4681.jpeg
This is a job that certainly needed to be done. The old seals are all hard and misshaped. I’m very happy with the seal kits. They had everything I needed, including new retainer rings.

With the first cylinder reassembled I put it back in the tube.
IMG_4682.jpeg
I was able to fit it back into place without much trouble. And with that I finished my first cylinder rebuild! :congrats:

I moved on to the other lift cylinder and started taking it apart. I had a small piece of hickory left over from when I made the pitman stick for the #39 sickle mover so I cut it into some wedges to use to tap the glands down to get the retainer ring out. They worked well.
IMG_4683.jpeg
IMG_4685.jpeg
I also rigged up a come along and chain to help put the rods out.
IMG_4686.jpeg
I got the second rod disassembled and cleaned. I noticed the tube on this one has a burr on it so I think I’ll borrow my :wife: Dremel tool and sand it out.
IMG_4687.jpeg
That seemed like a good stopping point for today.
Hopefully I’ll be able to continue tomorrow and get most of this finished!
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

@JSinMO Progressing nicely .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
RoamingGnome Canada

Post by RoamingGnome »

@JSinMO Great update! Thanks for the story and photos :thumbsup:
'68 Case 195, '84 Case 446, '88 Ingersoll 222 - and 1965 Case 530ck (fullsize backhoe)
CaseIngersollNE United States of America

Post by CaseIngersollNE »

Great Job keep up the good work! Yes we add back up rings and both spiral retainer rings to our kits! I have no idea why they are not in the original kits.... Talk soon. Ryan