Page 1 of 1

Another 444 followed me home!

Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:27 pm
by Chad
Well, after a 6 hour round trip I am now the proud owner of another 444! Wanted it mainly for the K45 rear discharge mowing deck, helped that the tractor, blower and deck are all in excellent condition. It's a 1982 model year (same as me!). Now my 1981 444 won't be so lonely. :). Came with tire chains, extra set of mower blades and a box of miscellaneous parts. Purchased from the original owner who is now downsizing/moving. He and his wife were very happy to see it go to someone who shares the same enthusiasm for these great machines. He bought it cause his dad had a 446 - funny how it goes with these machines and family.

Here are a few pics, I'll get better/close up ones soon. It runs and drives great...did I mention how clean it is?!

Oh, and as a bonus, included with all the owners manuals, receipts etc. were 2 Case garden equipment brochures in excellent condition. Neat to see the cost(s) scribbled by the dealer (I'm assuming).

Super excited to put this one on mowing duty!ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Re: Another 444 followed me home!

Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:50 pm
by mac102004
Nice looking tractor. Sure seems straight and in good shape. Brochures are a sweet bonus. I have the outstanding yards one.

Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:01 pm
by Eugen
Congrats! Looks really good, great new toy! I think I now prefer the 444 to the 446 because of the Kohler engine.

6 hours? Where did you get it from?

Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:26 pm
by crazycase
Chad
I'd say you scored a great tractor and that it came from the original owner that even cooler :D
:D :D Nice deck and caster your all set for year round work for years to come
that's why these tractors are like family members on the family tree :?
I have a Case/Ingersoll black frame 444 first year both names were on one
Sorry to say it's one of my favorite units, only paid -$500. dollars for it never gave me one problem till the youngest took it to
her ranch a few moments latter the clutch wadded it self up I had a replacement but never lived it down
I'm the caretaker for a old Case 442 it's been in the family sense it was brad new
Four generations and counting one of my kids will end up with it when they put me in the ground :lol:
Hell they will all get one of Dads tractors, just hope they have been watching and leaning from me trying to take care of them all
There just like kids so to speak :lol: :lol:

cc

Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:47 am
by Chad
mac102004 wrote:Nice looking tractor. Sure seems straight and in good shape. Brochures are a sweet bonus. I have the outstanding yards one.
Thanks mac102004 - nice!

Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:56 am
by Chad
Eugen wrote:Congrats! Looks really good, great new toy! I think I now prefer the 444 to the 446 because of the Kohler engine.

6 hours? Where did you get it from?
Thanks Eugen! I can't speak to the 446 Onans, but I definitely notice a difference in fuel consumption with the P220G that's in my Toro Wheel Horse 520H compared to the K321 Kohler. Curious how they will compare when used for mowing (this 444 will be replacing the 520H).

I had to drive to Belle River (Essex County). 3 hours door to door. The ad went up Monday night, I contacted when 2 hours old and made a deposit after speaking with gentleman. Lucky that my wife was willing to spare me for so long!

Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:03 am
by Chad
crazycase wrote:Chad
I'd say you scored a great tractor and that it came from the original owner that even cooler :D
:D :D Nice deck and caster your all set for year round work for years to come
that's why these tractors are like family members on the family tree :?
I have a Case/Ingersoll black frame 444 first year both names were on one
Sorry to say it's one of my favorite units, only paid -$500. dollars for it never gave me one problem till the youngest took it to
her ranch a few moments latter the clutch wadded it self up I had a replacement but never lived it down
I'm the caretaker for a old Case 442 it's been in the family sense it was brad new
Four generations and counting one of my kids will end up with it when they put me in the ground Image
Hell they will all get one of Dads tractors, just hope they have been watching and leaning from me trying to take care of them all
There just like kids so to speak Image Image

cc
Thanks crazycase! That's awesome, black frames are super cool, especially with both names. That's the plan for me too - will be passed down to my kids one day. Just need one more for my newborn son. Image

I came across the original paperwork last night. Never knew what the cost for these were when brand new, so interesting to see. That would have been a lot of $ in 1984 for a mower (he said the same, probably shouldn't have bought when he did but when you look at return on investment can't complain).

I couldn't believe the purchase date - same as my birthday! ImageImageImage

Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:05 am
by Chad
Some better resolution photos...ImageImageImage

Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:15 am
by Harry
Chad glad to hear about your purchase. It couldn't have gone to a better person. Thanks for all the pics!

Keep the Peace
Harry

Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:25 am
by Chad
Harry wrote:Chad glad to hear about your purchase. It couldn't have gone to a better person. Thanks for all the pics!

Keep the Peace
Harry
Thanks Harry - kind of you to say! It will be looked after for sure. More pics to come when I get time lol.

Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:31 am
by Chad
BTW, paid $1500, more than I wanted to spend, but I've been looking for a rear discharge deck for a while, and blower will be nice too (currently use blade for snow clearing, but plan to pave driveway this year. Will see which I prefer!) Plus I hope to recoup most of my costs when I sell the 520H.

Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:51 am
by Eugen
That's awesome Chad! I always said, when something's meant for you, it is, and when it's not, it's not. This one clearly was meant for you! I'm sure you'll enjoy it. :132:

Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:55 am
by crazycase
Chad
I would say you got a great deal :)
:idea: Deck and caster plus chains in the great white North
0NE Owner that just doesn't happen much these days
I gave five hundred for my 444 but didn't get anything but the tractor :roll:
:21: Everyone needs to get lucky once in a while
The main thing is have fun and getting the work done.

cc

Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:51 am
by Chad
Eugen wrote:That's awesome Chad! I always said, when something's meant for you, it is, and when it's not, it's not. This one clearly was meant for you! I'm sure you'll enjoy it. :132:
Thanks Eugen! Ya just happened to see it soon after posting, doesn't always work out but it did this time. Cheers!

Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:54 am
by Chad
crazycase wrote:Chad
I would say you got a great deal :)
:idea: Deck and caster plus chains in the great white North
0NE Owner that just doesn't happen much these days
I gave five hundred for my 444 but didn't get anything but the tractor :roll:
:21: Everyone needs to get lucky once in a while
The main thing is have fun and getting the work done.

cc
Thanks cc! Yes that's true, very happy that my stars aligned on this one. It will definitely be put to work (and maybe pampered a bit too lol). Cheers!

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:48 am
by Timj
Chad, I think you did well with this, very fair price. There's much hidden value in that it came from original owner who understood and cared for it. You know it was never abused.
Nice find! :113:
Tim

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:56 am
by Chad
Thanks Tim! Yes once I spoke with the gentleman and he mentioned that I knew it would be a special find, sweetened the deal for sure. Definitely has been looked after and given care - I'm honoured to continue that stewardship!

Chad

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:17 pm
by Chad
We've been having some beautiful weather this week, and yesterday I did a little rearranging in the garage while getting my dad's bike out of storage (hope to get mine on road soon too!)

Thought I'd formally introduce the 444's to each other :)ImageImageImageImage

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:00 pm
by Eugen
Niiiiice!

Chad, quick question! When you run either of your 444s, do your clothes smell like exhaust?

My 446 is terrible that way. :2:

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:23 pm
by Chad
Eugen wrote:Niiiiice!

Chad, quick question! When you run either of your 444s, do your clothes smell like exhaust?

My 446 is terrible that way. :2:
Yes they do, well my older one does at least. I think it's mainly when I'm using the blade - think it reflects some of the exhaust back at me, especially when driving. Haven't noticed it as bad with blade off.

Anyone else experience this?

Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:56 pm
by Harry
Anytime I've been outside running an engine no matter what it is. When I come in the house my wife says you smell like gas, go take a shower. It doesn't matter if I'm mowing grass, rototilling, weed wacking, or splitting wood, I smell like gas. I guess all of my machines are worn out and need rebuilds!

Keep the Peace
Harry

Posted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:58 am
by DavidBarkey
Harry wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:56 pm Anytime I've been outside running an engine no matter what it is. When I come in the house my wife says you smell like gas, go take a shower. It doesn't matter if I'm mowing grass, rototilling, weed wacking, or splitting wood, I smell like gas. I guess all of my machines are worn out and need rebuilds!

Keep the Peace
Harry
Harry , just maybe she is Exhausted .
Dave

Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:42 am
by Chad
Nice one David!

Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:23 pm
by jfk
Chad

Looks like you got a great one, congrat's!
The attachments, manuals and planning guides are a big bonus.
Enjoy your new Case 444.

Jim

Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:47 am
by Chad
jfk wrote:Chad

Looks like you got a great one, congrat's!
The attachments, manuals and planning guides are a big bonus.
Enjoy your new Case 444.

Jim
Hey thanks Jim! Yes very excited to have it all. Cheers! Chad

Posted: Sun May 14, 2023 11:08 am
by RoamingGnome
Old thread, years later - but nice looking pair of tractors !

Posted: Sun May 14, 2023 1:51 pm
by Chad
Thanks Gerry! I'm sad to say the 444 with the blower is still awaiting an engine rebuild, but I hope to start that soon.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk