Cold Weather Starting??

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
Timj United States of America

Cold Weather Starting??

Post by Timj »

I thought I'd throw this out as some here deal with some seriously cold weather too.

So, how cold are you starting your tractor at? Do you have it in a heated shop? Is one engine better than another?

My Onan in my 4118 has always been a tough starter the colder it gets. Not a big deal at home, can put it in the garage, and I usually plow with my truck anyway. But I want to get a blower for our cabin in the northwoods and it would be in an unheated garage. So I'm going to convert a blower to hydraulic for the 4118 or restore something for up there, leaning towards restore. Your thoughts might influence what I look for.

We left our compact loader with 3pt blower there this winter. We can plug it in, but I would rather have it at home.

Tim
:creeper: deck's on, blades sharp, let's go it's time to mow :48: :446cart:
Eugen Canada

Re: Cold Weather Starting??

Post by Eugen »

Tim, there was a guy having problems starting in cold weather, so I made this little video to show an example of one tractor starting at 7f (-14c) after a week of sitting in an unheated tarp shelter. It was my 83-226, which I'm still crying over (sold). This tractor always started easy.

My current 446, with the BF-MS, I have to give it hugs to start, especially when cold.

Let's hear from others too, as I am interested as well.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:

Post by Timj »

That rolled over like mine does on a warm day :o .

Single digit F. would be common there. At home we rarely get much snow at low temps, but three hours north we are getting into the Superior snow belt and if the wind is right, it snows even below zero.

Would probably be going to lighter oil. Thought about building a styrofoam box with a little heater.

Tim

Eugen, I'm crying too, just missed a nice looking 226 black frame near me, not quick enough. 😢
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

We're right next to Lake Huron. It think we're in the same boat. I don't remember what oil I put in the 226. Either 15w40 or straight 30. But I can't stand old oil in anything I own. It must've been fresh.

Just to test, I'd rule out the oil by running 0w40. If it solved the problem clearly it was the oil.

Now, you didn't say anything about the clutch. For instance my clutch on the 446 is a little tight. So starting the engine has to turn the attached snow thrower. If the battery isn't in top shape, which at single F digits, with some year's under the belt, it probably isn't, it'll have a hard time.

And this brings us to the battery. You only needed a simple voltmeter, doesn't have to be very accurate. Measure the battery before trying to start, and after day two attempts.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E

Post by Timj »

Eugen wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:12 pm We're right next to Lake Huron. It think we're in the same boat. I don't remember what oil I put in the 226. Either 15w40 or straight 30. But I can't stand old oil in anything I own. It must've been fresh.

Just to test, I'd rule out the oil by running 0w40. If it solved the problem clearly it was the oil.

Now, you didn't say anything about the clutch. For instance my clutch on the 446 is a little tight. So starting the engine has to turn the attached snow thrower. If the battery isn't in top shape, which at single F digits, with some year's under the belt, it probably isn't, it'll have a hard time.

And this brings us to the battery. You only needed a simple voltmeter, doesn't have to be very accurate. Measure the battery before trying to start, and after day two attempts.
I run 10w30 in the engine and 15w40 in the hydraulic system. I don't have a clutch. Good battery or putting booster on definitely help. I don't know if the bigger two stage hydraulic pump drags a little more. My 16hp Performer on my welder cranks easier, like your 226.

Yep, you definitely know about the snow machine 🥶
Gordy United States of America

Post by Gordy »

I did a splash test at -10f, with 10w-30 and 0w-30. Held the jugs up by my ears shake one forward and back vigorously them the other. 10w-30 sounded like gulp gulp, the 0w-30 sounded like water splashing. The 224-78 spun over and started way better with the 0w-30 in it.

Cheers,
Gordy
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

I have never had a problem starting Frankie in the winter. That being said it has a P220 welder generator engine with electronic ignition which gives a stronger spark than points . In summer I run 15w40 deisel oil and in winter I mix the 15w40 with 10w30 synthetic 50/50 . When it gets really cold the 16gpm pump does slow it rolling over but still fires up on the second or third rotation . Oh I also run 0/w40 synthetic in hydro in winter which makes a big difference turning that big pump . For next year I plan on installing a oil heater in the hydro tank , something I just didn't get to this year .

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Spike188 Canada

Post by Spike188 »

Another issue with cold starting is the cold cranking amp rating of the battery. There are several versions of the U1 Lawn and Garden Battery. Buying on price point will get you a 230CCA at a box store and will crank an Onan in the summer. It will not even click the relay if setting out side at freezing temperatures. Even boosting it will take some time. I have started putting U1 with 430 Cranking amps/ 350 Cold Cranking amps. Even the 646 that has to prime the carb after sitting a week it cranked long enough in -15C / 5F to start. It did it multiple time on it and on a Wheel Horse 20 hp Onan performer that I had briefly this winter.

The extra $40 dollars paid for the high cranking amp is worth it to me.

Spike
Spike Colt - 9 & 10, Case - 108, 118, 444, 446, 448, 646, 646bh, Ingersoll 4016, 4118AH
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Spike188 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:59 pm Another issue with cold starting is the cold cranking amp rating of the battery. There are several versions of the U1 Lawn and Garden Battery. Buying on price point will get you a 230CCA at a box store and will crank an Onan in the summer. It will not even click the relay if setting out side at freezing temperatures. Even boosting it will take some time. I have started putting U1 with 430 Cranking amps/ 350 Cold Cranking amps. Even the 646 that has to prime the carb after sitting a week it cranked long enough in -15C / 5F to start. It did it multiple time on it and on a Wheel Horse 20 hp Onan performer that I had briefly this winter.

Spike
Very interesting, as I didn't pay attention to lawn and garden tractors batteries before. I'd pick one off the shelf at Costco and thoughtful I was good. I'll get the better one next time for sure.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E

Post by Timj »

Eugen wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:10 pm
Spike188 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:59 pm Another issue with cold starting is the cold cranking amp rating of the battery. There are several versions of the U1 Lawn and Garden Battery. Buying on price point will get you a 230CCA at a box store and will crank an Onan in the summer. It will not even click the relay if setting out side at freezing temperatures. Even boosting it will take some time. I have started putting U1 with 430 Cranking amps/ 350 Cold Cranking amps. Even the 646 that has to prime the carb after sitting a week it cranked long enough in -15C / 5F to start. It did it multiple time on it and on a Wheel Horse 20 hp Onan performer that I had briefly this winter.

Spike
Very interesting, as I didn't pay attention to lawn and garden tractors batteries before. I'd pick one off the shelf at Costco and thoughtful I was good. I'll get the better one next time for sure.
Ya, I've kinda done the same, just gave it to the guy at the auto parts store and they gave me one that fit. I never thought there was to many options in those little batteries. 🤔 And it's always something I look at in big ones for my equipment. Just thought if it was a good brand it would be better.
I will say the guys at my local carquest/advanced auto have been really good with having/offering options. Much better than a couple others that I deal with.