Hydraulic deck/flow

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
vicv07 Canada

Hydraulic deck/flow

Post by vicv07 »

So I'm having problems with my 48" deck on my 444. I've done everything I can think of and have not come up with a solution. Every time I even turn the mower deck by hand, the belt instantly flips inside the pulley on the deck. If I run it like that it will snap after less than a minute.
Now I'm not necessarily going to change it over to hydraulic but I was thinking of it. I know from searching around on the internet it's been done before but no one has ever said what motor they use.
Now from what I understand our machines put out about 8 gpm.
People always make it a big deal to the motor has to be perfectly sized for the implement. But I've noticed that implements for skid steers have a wide range of GPM requirement. Very often the range will allow the doubling or more. Why is it so much more important to size a mower deck motor than something like that?
Was just curious on what other people's ideas were on this
Eugen Canada

Re: Hydraulic deck/flow

Post by Eugen »

Following this because I like the subject, theoretically speaking. Although I must say I'm not at all unhappy with my belt driven deck.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

After you had posted in another thread about the belt rolling over issues, I did a little searching around on the problem, as you have probably also done. There didn't seem to be a consistent cause, but belt size was one of the more common causes. I know cost and availability are an issue, but have you gave a OEM 9/16" belt a try.

As for the hydraulic's it seems like a simple solution, but it's not as simple as it would appear.

Matching the motor size is important, to small would spin to fast, too big not fast enough. Changing pulley size could help dial you in.

The design of the hydraulic system on these tractors with a single pump dictates the need to closely match the motor to the pump. The system is set up in series, the oil goes from the pump to the pto, to the hydraulic motor, then to the TCV, then to the drive motor for the wheels, then back to filter, and reservoir. On the skid loader there is a much larger pump or multiple pumps. They are not running in series and so a flow control valve can be used.

Hydraulic motor protection is also a must to protect the motor so you don't blow the shaft seal out of your motor or blow-up the motor during spin down. A case drain and/or a cross over check/relief valve should be installed.

Hydraulic oil cooling is another issue to consider.

Ingersoll did this and made it work on the All Hydraulic series tractors. These tractors ran larger 11gpm pumps and larger coolers. They used hydraulic motors around .85ci displacement.

Hydraulic motors used on some of the standard attachments ran around the .7 to .75ci. This would be the size to look for.

Some of the attachments, like the rear mount finish mower, used the same motor for both the standard tractors and the All Hydraulic's, but just changed the pulley size to get the right deck rpms.
:geek: Tim
:creeper: deck's on, blades sharp, let's go it's time to mow :48: :446cart:
vicv07 Canada

Post by vicv07 »

Thank you. I take talked to Charlie at Barneveld and he said the proper belt is 1/2". So I've only tried local1/2" Kevlar belts. Interesting on the motors. What do you mean the pulley size? Wasn't the motor attached directly to the deck belt system? Also if you know, what is the rpm the deck is supposed to turn if I were to direct drive it?
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

You'll still turn a pulley. That pulley turns the other two via the belt connecting them.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
MattA United States of America

Post by MattA »

The service manual section has some info on servicing V belt drives and a V belt size chart.
Ingersoll 4016
vicv07 Canada

Post by vicv07 »

I've looked into the service manuals. It just shows a part no.
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Look for the belt guide here

manuals/ServiceManuals/
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
vicv07 Canada

Post by vicv07 »

Also the relief valve, would that be built into the pto valve I have?
vicv07 Canada

Post by vicv07 »

Eugen wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 6:17 pm Look for the belt guide here

manuals/ServiceManuals/

Thank you. The belt guide shows the length of the belt, basically 71", not the width.
Even if it is the wrong width, I know a lot of people use a 1/2" belt successfully.
I do wonder if it may be my pulley on the deck. One the PTO and two mule pulleys, the belt sits in the groove and is slightly proud. On the deck pulley, it is recessed in quite a bit. It feels fine but I wonder if that has been significantly worn inside. Unfortunately, I have no "good" deck to compare against.
PXL_20210527_201301557.jpg