Another year on my 446

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
mendonsy United States of America

Another year on my 446

Post by mendonsy »

Today I dug out the 446 that I bought new in 1978, did the routine springtime maintenance, fixed a flat front tire, and charged up a dead battery. That's fairly typical for a tractor that has been stored for 5 months.

I finished all of that by lunch time then mowed my 1-1/4 acre yard. It is now officially the 43rd year that the 446 has been used to mow my lawn. :thumbsup:
Timj United States of America

Re: Another year on my 446

Post by Timj »

Very nice, mendonsy, just goes to show the durability and longevity of these machines. :highfive:
:geek: Tim
:creeper: deck's on, blades sharp, let's go it's time to mow :48: :446cart:

Post by Timj »

ÀH guy wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:46 pm Very nice, mendonsy, just goes to show the durability and longevity of these machines. :highfive:
:dizzy:
Been thinking about this a little the last couple of days. 43 years, original owner. :69: I'm sure there's a few out there who are original owner of an older tractor. I know most have bought an older CCI used and got hooked.

I bought my 93 new, so it's been a while, but mendonsy's got me by 15 years. :clap:

Any other long time original owners out there? Let's here from you. :thumbsup:
:geek: tim
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

IMO in most cases if someone would just do the maintenance required to a machine it will last a long time. There will be an occasional part wear out and sometimes with abuse something will break. I believe in most cases it's owner negligence that is the problem.
I have a CC that I purchased new ten years ago. At least that's what I thought until I checked with the dealer I purchased it from when I was buying some replacement deck wheels. It been eighteen years ago since I bought it. I guess time flies. I change the oil, filter and belts and once a steering gear that wore out. It has a 24hp Kohler on it and it runs great. I like it to mow my grass with it because it does a great job, according to my wife. You got to keep them happy! So I will probably take care of it and keep using it for the rest of my lifetime.

Keep the Peace
Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226

Post by Timj »

Harry wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 1:17 pm IMO in most cases if someone would just do the maintenance required to a machine it will last a long time. There will be an occasional part wear out and sometimes with abuse something will break. I believe in most cases it's owner negligence that is the problem.
I have a CC that I purchased new ten years ago. At least that's what I thought until I checked with the dealer I purchased it from when I was buying some replacement deck wheels. It been eighteen years ago since I bought it. I guess time flies. I change the oil, filter and belts and once a steering gear that wore out. It has a 24hp Kohler on it and it runs great. I like it to mow my grass with it because it does a great job, according to my wife. You got to keep them happy! So I will probably take care of it and keep using it for the rest of my lifetime.

Keep the Peace
Harry
With you 100% on both points Harry, you to have to be keep them happy and you have to maintain your equipment.
Basic regular maintenance goes a long way. Ya things ware out and break, but these things are old, and if you never used them they wouldn't break.
"They don't build them like they use to" fits these machines well.