Coffee Mugs

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
thebuildist United States of America

Coffee Mugs

Post by thebuildist »

So I've been playing around with a Cricut machine. Essentially a desktop CNC sheet vinyl cutter. You can cut out whatever design you like onto various types sticker or sublimation ink and stick it on whatever you like. T-Shirts, cars, etc.

One use is to print out a vinyl mask/stencil and then stick that on something metallic, and use either ferric chloride or a sandblaster to permanently etch into the metal. It's a pretty impressive result, old-fashioned brass plaques/clock faces/gauge faces and such. And modern stainless steel tumblers that have a laser-etched appearance.

BUT THE POINT IS that I'm thinking about trying a new technique, wherein you cut your image out of sublimation ink sheets and heat fuse them onto a white ceramic coffee mug. Like so:
Cricut-Mug-Press-final-021.jpg
So I'd like to create one or more reproduction Case or Ingersoll promotional mugs. In my mind I'd do three of them: An early 400 series tractor, a 3000 series, and a 600 series. Obviously there are too many permutations to do every machine ever, and I don't want to "be in the mug business." But I thought it would be nice to have at least 2 or 3 representative/iconic mugs to choose from. I know I'd certainly like to have one. I'd sell and ship them for more-or less cost. The ink sheets will be 10 or $15 total, and the mugs are a dozen for $30. So something like $5 or 6 plus shipping. Not free, but not exorbitant. Hopefully around $15 total shipped. Not that I have the foggiest idea what shipping WAY up yonder to the northern territories is costing these days. :-)

For my personal tastes, having owned an early 442, and now a 4020, the 400 series mug would be perfect for me.

Here's the hard part: I figure an actual Case or Ingersoll logo on one side of the mug, and a 3/4 view of the tractor on the other. The logos I have in hand.

But what are the iconic images, and where can I find them? A pre-made line drawing is ideal, something that already comes from printed advertising material. But a good quality, well-lit photo of the target tractor would work too.

Anybody got or can point me to such pictures? Do we want to vote on what three mugs to make, with which photos?

Or any other better ideas in general?

Bob
Last edited by thebuildist on Thu Sep 05, 2024 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Never be afraid to try something new. How hard can it be?"
DavidBarkey Canada

Re: Coffee Mugs

Post by DavidBarkey »

thats neat Bob
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder

Post by thebuildist »

Any ideas on good "iconic" images to use on the cup? The "quitessential 646" or "444" or "3018" or whatever? Anyone have any pictures that showcase any of those type of machines, or know of any pictures on the web that do?

Bob
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

:446cart: :j
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
RoamingGnome Canada

Post by RoamingGnome »

That is a neat idea Bob, I would also love an image of a 195 included because of it's distinctive look compared to the newer Case / Ingersoll models...
'68 Case 195, '84 Case 446, '88 Ingersoll 222 - and 1965 Case 530ck (fullsize backhoe)
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

thebuildist wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 11:34 am Any ideas on good "iconic" images to use on the cup? The "quitessential 646" or "444" or "3018" or whatever? Anyone have any pictures that showcase any of those type of machines, or know of any pictures on the web that do?

Bob
I'm thinking out loud here, pictures found on the internet could be having copyright issues with the original owner. Probably pictures from Case literature would be safer. 🤷‍♂️
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

Not sure if this is helpful, but I have a sales brochure for the 648.
Here are the pictures of it.
IMG_5282.jpeg
IMG_5281.jpeg
IMG_5280.jpeg

Post by thebuildist »

Ok, to avoid copyright issues, I've used some old ad materials and did some meaningful photoshop.

Turning it from a picture to something cut out on the machine is tricker than I expected.

A 400 series on a cup will end up looking something like this. Is it even worth persuing?

Bob
image.png

Post by thebuildist »

And here's what a 195 comes out looking like...
image.png
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

I like it , anyone who knows these tractor knows what it is immediately . Is it a saleable thing , don't known . I think it is cool. Have fun with it .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder