Painting hood on 444

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
Harry United States of America

Re: Painting hood on 444

Post by Harry »

Seabee wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 6:47 pm HArry,

On my 4118 I have discovered "Clear Coat with Hardener" in a spray can. Really makes a nice finish! and after about 2 weeks the hardener has done it's job! Probably the easiest spray pattern I have ever seen from a can! A number of people have already seen it and have commented how good it looks. Another couple of weeks you will have a chance to see it.

:446cart:
I’ve never came across any spray paint with a hardener in it. I checked at Lowes, Home Depot and Tractor Supply none had it. :peace: Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226

Post by Harry »

I picked some Rustoleum acrylic enamel clear from HD. Lightly sanded the Case acrylic enamel desert sunset on the hood. Tacked it off with a tack rag and sprayed the clear and left the shop to work on another project. Two hours later checked on it and disaster struck. Evidently the two acrylic enamels were not compatible. It separated in some areas making a horrible looking surface. It would have been a better idea to do a test spray on the under side, hind sight 20/20. Today I sanded the hood down so no area was shiny and leveled the cracked areas. Those areas were down to the primer coat. Resprayed with desert sunset and waiting till the morning to see what it looks like. When I left the shop I gave it a quick look and it has a shine but looked like orange peel. Maybe some buffing later before I put on the decals which are suppose to be in this week. I’ve been spending way to much time on the hood painting project. Maybe I should stay with welding. :peace: Harry
Attachments
Paint separation
Paint separation
IMG_3418.jpeg
Some not to bad
Some not to bad
Recoated after sanding
Recoated after sanding
Still shiny
Still shiny
MattA United States of America

Post by MattA »

Sorry to see the paint job ruined.
This is what I used to paint my deck 7 years ago. Looked great but the paints been flaking down to the metal for years especially when I wash the deck with the hose set to stream. Maybe the rustoleum primer is also crap? I wiped the deck down with isopropyl alcohol and a rag before priming. IDK... first time painting I guess.
20240505_200943.jpg
Ingersoll 4016
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

Sorry to see that @Harry. Glad you were able to sand it out. The respray looks good!
Seabee United States of America

Post by Seabee »

Well Harry, My paint jobs with Rustoleum clear coat always look like crap. Often when I would use their black on whatever my primer was, it also looked like crap. Or if I used their primer and came back with Case paint, I had problems. If I use a good automotive primer and forget about the Rustoleum, just use the case paint, I am good.

As to the Clear coat I use it is one of the 2X products (automotive type). It has a clear cap on top with a red plug stuck into that cap. It is a clear coat hardener combo. You take that red plug when you are ready to use it and put it on the bottom of the can and press the can down on the plug till it releases, and you can hear the hardener combining with the clear coat. Shake the can for two minutes, and be sure you shake can every few minutes till it runs out. You must use the paint within 48 hours of combining the 2 products. About 25 plus dollars per can. Has a great nozzle on the can and your figure will not get tired! It is very easy to apply. Much easier than the Case paints in a can.

The can is a mostly white can with large Blue letters say 2X and there is a description of what it is. If it doesn't have the red button in the clear cap, it isn't the correct one. I was going to take a picture of it and tie the picture to this post, but apparently I have used all of mine up. Practice a few swipes before you go full boat. When you final coat your color desired, come back with this clear coat while the the color coat is still wet. Then use a second coat of the clear 10 minutes later. Takes a slight bit of practice, but less so that that final color coat.

Maybe next week I will release the pictures of my 4118. A body shop man was in my garage this morning and commented how good it looked. That made me thing I must have done a good job. I never mentioned what I had used for paint, but he thought it looked really good, and nearly complete.

Once again I find myself trying to figure post pictures! :lol:

Best of luck!

Bill
Bill Moyer

Post by Harry »

Seabee wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 1:37 pm Well Harry, My paint jobs with Rustoleum clear coat always look like crap. Often when I would use their black on whatever my primer was, it also looked like crap. Or if I used their primer and came back with Case paint, I had problems. If I use a good automotive primer and forget about the Rustoleum, just use the case paint, I am good.

As to the Clear coat I use it is one of the 2X products (automotive type). It has a clear cap on top with a red plug stuck into that cap. It is a clear coat hardener combo. You take that red plug when you are ready to use it and put it on the bottom of the can and press the can down on the plug till it releases, and you can hear the hardener combining with the clear coat. Shake the can for two minutes, and be sure you shake can every few minutes till it runs out. You must use the paint within 48 hours of combining the 2 products. About 25 plus dollars per can. Has a great nozzle on the can and your figure will not get tired! It is very easy to apply. Much easier than the Case paints in a can.

The can is a mostly white can with large Blue letters say 2X and there is a description of what it is. If it doesn't have the red button in the clear cap, it isn't the correct one. I was going to take a picture of it and tie the picture to this post, but apparently I have used all of mine up. Practice a few swipes before you go full boat. When you final coat your color desired, come back with this clear coat while the the color coat is still wet. Then use a second coat of the clear 10 minutes later. Takes a slight bit of practice, but less so that that final color coat.

Maybe next week I will release the pictures of my 4118. A body shop man was in my garage this morning and commented how good it looked. That made me thing I must have done a good job. I never mentioned what I had used for paint, but he thought it looked really good, and nearly complete.

Once again I find myself trying to figure post pictures! :lol:

Best of luck!

Bill
Bill thanks for your reply and description. I was also curious as to where you purchased the clear spray paint? Mine did not come out as good as I wanted, but I’m done for now. Time to move on to other projects outside now that the weather is nice. :thumbsup: :peace: Harry

Post by Harry »

image.png
i did a little research and found this product on Amazon. :peace: Harry

Post by Harry »

I came across this video about painting. Like I said before I'm a welder not a painter. I'm an old dog but I can always learn new tricks. I learned some new tricks from this video. Enjoy. :peace: Harry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkgqbVA ... kgqbVAScAE
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Never heard or seen a spray can that came with hardener. Good to know.

Noel