Rust removal

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
ras101 United States of America

Rust removal

Post by ras101 »

Shout out to a new-to-me product for rust removal I bought on Amazon "CRC Evapo-Rust" for parts rust removal comes in a quart container and should not be diluted. I immersed a very rusty PTO wrench from each end that I got from a PO. The middle section was the original state. You make your own mind up guys... Left it emerged for 24 hours. I did NO CLEANUP before immersion either. Only draw back I see is I needed more of it to reach half at least and get rid of the center section rust ... Just ordered another quart..

Oh yea this stuff is reusable too so it keeps working for you time, and time, again!
Attachments
rust remover.jpg
Toolslinger United States of America

Re: Rust removal

Post by Toolslinger »

They sell it in 5 gallon pails too.

Great stuff. You can continue to use it over and over until it no longer works. It doesn't hurt aluminum or brass, or wood, and I haven't noticed any issue with good paint.

My suggestion is to give things a light brushing before you drop it in. Not so much because it needs it, but removing the excess rust will extend the life of the product.

I've used it on sheet metal on occasion by soaking a paper towel, and simply laying it on the sheet metal. You need to keep it soaked though in that case.

Post by ras101 »

So want to see the final product?

Since this experiment I have been working through a few EZ PTO parts that was my main intent on trying this product. I now have the new cam design totally clean and ready for bearings again, also just submerged a few sets of the pressure dome washers (I think 5 or 6 sets) and an early 6 1/2" fork soaking too. The hardest part to all of this is how to make enough room in the tank for all the parts and how to remove them when done.. Oh yeah, I am using welding wire to help with that. I will update as I remove them from the tank.

Ray
Attachments
No rust!!! I bought another container of the solution and now submerged over half the spanner (wrench to you guys)  .
No rust!!! I bought another container of the solution and now submerged over half the spanner (wrench to you guys) .
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

ras101 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:21 pm So want to see the final product?

Since this experiment I have been working through a few EZ PTO parts that was my main intent on trying this product. I now have the new cam design totally clean and ready for bearings again, also just submerged a few sets of the pressure dome washers (I think 5 or 6 sets) and an early 6 1/2" fork soaking too. The hardest part to all of this is how to make enough room in the tank for all the parts and how to remove them when done.. Oh yeah, I am using welding wire to help with that. I will update as I remove them from the tank.

Ray
Does that stuff work for inside steel fuel tanks ????
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder

Post by ras101 »

It would Dave but the part needs to be submerged so as long as you could move a reasonable amount inside and then move it around to submerge the area you are trying to de-rust.. it would work..

Ray
Last edited by ras101 on Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by ras101 »

Three sets of rusted domed washers that were submerged this morning for perhaps 5 hours. Did not do any prep work at all other that stringing them onto a wire. Still have a couple of sets that were more heavily rusted back in the tank but most will look like this in a few hours..
Attachments
dome washers.jpg
Last edited by ras101 on Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by ras101 »

DavidBarkey wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:27 pm

Ray
Dave I can only assume from your inquiry that you have a rusted tank? If you need another (not rusted) I have one on a parted out 1977 446.. Yours for the taking - just pay shipping from WNY at cost..

Ray
Last edited by ras101 on Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Thanks for posting these examples Ray. I've been using a gallon of evapo-rust for about 3-4 years for such small items and can confirm it works. :cheers:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

ras101 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:09 pm
DavidBarkey wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:27 pm

Ray
Dave I can only assume from your inquiry that you have a rusted tank? If you need another (not rusted) I have one on a parted out 1977 446.. Yours for the taking - just pay shipping from WNY at cost..

Ray
No, but I am always working on something that is as old and currrrusty as I am . Always nice to have options . Thanks for the offer , I will keep it in mind .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder