Stearing axle pin

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
propane1 Canada

Re: Stearing axle pin

Post by propane1 »

When I grease the front end parts on any of my tractors, 4 different brands, I jack them up and grease them. And when I let them down I give them another little shot.

And a thought on the poormans power steering kit. I put them in two Massey Fergusons and a John Deere. Seemed to help, maybe. It seemed to me that it helped more on the return to straight than going from straight to full right or left turn. My thinking is, that when you turn right or left fully, that it lifts the tractor a little bit and on return the weight helps turn them back. So your lifting the weight of the tractor when turning and not on the return. Spindles are shaped that way so the steering will return to straight while moving.
Jumpins that was quite a ramble. Please correct me if I’m out to lunch on that or those thoughts.

Noel
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

CaseIngersollNE wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:29 pm
MattA wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:37 am The upgraded axle pin and poor man's power steering were probably the best upgrades I did on my tractor. The axle pin made such a huge difference. Wish I had spent the $50 sooner. The axle pin could have been a little shorter to take even more play out of the steering but the pin is probably sized for tractor production tolerances.

I measured my factory pin and found it had only worn 0.002". Even with very little wear, the difference made by changing the axle pin was huge. This is probably due to closing up the frame to axle gap.

I've done the steering gear shim change as well. This helped take up some play but not nearly as much as the pin upgrade. Even on a low hour tractor I still have play in the steering with the updates.
Thats why we went and had our pins custom made to our specs as the others out there are just too long, as pins do wear a good bit too,
But most the play in the axle and steering comes from the plates spread and axle itself wearing. Poor man kit really helps with plows and blowers or weights hanging out front too.
When I made my own axle pin, and watched your video before hand. I took a measurement then decreased it a bit to tighten up the frame. Installed it and it still was to loose, so I had to chuck it in the lathe and shorten it some. That did the trick and now it’s nice. The video helped, thanks. :peace: Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
CaseIngersollNE United States of America

Post by CaseIngersollNE »

Glad the video helped lol. Yes many do not realize that most pins out there are too long and by a good amount many times and they do not get the full benefit for the pin style change. Thats why we say ours may be a little more cost but they actually do what they are supposed to do and fix the issue completely. Thanks for watching the video!
ras101 United States of America

Post by ras101 »

Ryan, your video's are the best I have ever seen for our hobby... I can only thank you. It helps our community to move forward too and make appropriate choices. I for one am an avid viewer of you video's and some, if not most, drive my next update. For me your video's are ultra important and well your kits and better yet your "improved kits" drive my interest to more levels of support.. Thank you!

Thanks! We try and glad they are helping many that was and is the main intention of doing them. Its amazing how many people are surprised to find out parts are still available for our machines and UPGRADES! We hear it all the time as the videos I feel have introduced many to our brand as we often hear people have seen our videos/website and then go purchase CI machines all over North America! We are happy the videos keep our community growing and thriving and informed. We have right now roughly 125,000 views PER year and hopefully keep growing thanks for the support!
Jancoe United States of America

Post by Jancoe »

I may have to get some from you. I rebuilt the front end of my 6018bh a few years ago. I picked up an ebay one from one of the main guys making them. I feel like the pin may be too long and I still have slop. There's alot involved in removing the front counterweight. I'll just have this one shortened up sometime when I decide to tear it all back apart but my other 6018 and some 4000's I have need them.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Sounds good let us know we would be glad to help. Yes we have a completely different loader pin we designed as well. Not sure if you have seen the video here it is https://youtu.be/kA5Rw8ndHbY?si=FmjwuhZw94ocH7Kd