Stearing axle pin

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
ras101 United States of America

Stearing axle pin

Post by ras101 »

As I have been working on the 1985 448 PTO I have fitted and removed the snowblower drive belt numerous times and getting more and more frustrated at the access, etc. On examination the PO had installed an (upgraded) axle pin that I am sure he made himself! How am I sure? well besides the fact that the bolt through the pin was several inches too long that made fitting and removing the drive belt hard, almost impossible to fit when I disassembled the pin it had a 3/4 inch plus hole through it!

Got a new pin, fitted the bolt so the nut protrudes forward (easier access for removal and no threads for the belt to hang up on) .. Here's a few pics..
Attachments
New fitted
New fitted
Correct Vs the PO's version
Correct Vs the PO's version
Long pin bolt thread
Long pin bolt thread
Last edited by ras101 on Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
keith Canada

Re: Stearing axle pin

Post by keith »

Nice fix ras101, looks good. :thumbsup: At this time I'd also like to thank you for all your contributions to the library, very much appreciated. :cheers:

Post by ras101 »

keith wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:12 am Nice fix ras101, looks good. :thumbsup: At this time I'd also like to thank you for all your contributions to the library, very much appreciated. :cheers:
Keith, Thank you! you have no idea how much your post meant to me...

Post by ras101 »

So my first steering axle pin came from #Teapotlinda on Ebay and was totally stainless! A really great kit and seller that was part of the Case/Ingersoll community. Unfortunately he has retired and no longer making/selling. Even though I know that keeping the pins greased stops any rust I still prefer stainless to anything else but not to be...

Ray
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

Nice repair Ray, looks much, much better! That should last a long time.
CaseIngersollNE United States of America

Post by CaseIngersollNE »

Just some food for thought and something to check on your pin, as you already have one. But We ended up having to get pins made to our specs, we also now have grease grooves cut in them now since video as shown on our site. But we tried to support other dealers and CI owners making pins bu in the video we explain why we had make our own pin kits. https://youtu.be/IskK509NYho?si=bdlky-Sig5SV3mgc
CaseIngersollNE United States of America

Post by CaseIngersollNE »

The second pic has our latest updated pin with grease channels. https://www.caseingersolltractors.com/p ... l-tractors

Post by ras101 »

CaseIngersollNE wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:52 pm The second pic has our latest updated pin with grease channels. https://www.caseingersolltractors.com/p ... l-tractors
Nice pin - always wondered about why groves were not a part of the original design. Grease is really only as good as being able to retain it why it is needed.
myerslawnandgarden United States of America

Post by myerslawnandgarden »

ras101 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:37 am
CaseIngersollNE wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:52 pm The second pic has our latest updated pin with grease channels. https://www.caseingersolltractors.com/p ... l-tractors
Nice pin - always wondered about why groves were not a part of the original design. Grease is really only as good as being able to retain it why it is needed.
There was one groove as part of the original design, but incorporated into the axle not the pin.

Bob

Post by ras101 »

myerslawnandgarden wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:59 am
ras101 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:37 am
There was one groove as part of the original design, but incorporated into the axle not the pin.

Bob
Thank you Bob, did not know that but it makes sense too!

Ray