Stearing axle pin

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
ras101 United States of America

Re: Stearing axle pin

Post by ras101 »

Another thing the PO did was manage to get the grease nipple moved so that it could not be accessed from the front nor anywhere else that I could see. I certainly did not have a gun that would fit the "new position" . As these are a press fit I very gingerly re positioned so that it could be accessed from the front with my gun.

I'm sure like you guys you have a maintenance schedule (just like your cars) right? For me it's twice a year - when I fit the mowing deck and when I fit the snowblower. Used to change the oils back then too. Since I changed hydraulics and engine to synthetic a few years back I change Engine oil only every couple of years and I still have not changed hydraulics in 4-5 years now. This spring though I will be draining the transmission. Might even open it up and check but we are now off subject
myerslawnandgarden United States of America

Post by myerslawnandgarden »

Also, I'm not sure that everyone knows that you should jack up the front of the tractor before greasing to give a better chance for the lubricant to be distributed equally. With the weight of the tractor on the center pin and spindles, there is little chance of grease getting to the bottom.

Bob
ras101 United States of America

Post by ras101 »

myerslawnandgarden wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:36 pm Also, I'm not sure that everyone knows that you should jack up the front of the tractor before greasing to give a better chance for the lubricant to be distributed equally. With the weight of the tractor on the center pin and spindles, there is little chance of grease getting to the bottom.

Bob
Bob, thank you ! I never knew that either. Another thing to add to my maintenance schedule.
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Here is a neat trick for a diy remote grease fitting for hard to get to fitttings . Now this is best done when the part can be removed . In this case the axle is removed , the grease fitting is removed and the hole drilled and tapped for 1/8" NPT . Then a 90 degree male/female "steel fitting is installed . On to that a grease gun replacement flex hose is installed . reinstall axle with the hose up through the frame to a convenient spot to mount a bracket to hold the tail end of the hose using a union to clamp it in place and receive a 1/8" npt grease fitting .
My 2 cents , you may keep the change .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
CaseIngersollNE United States of America

Post by CaseIngersollNE »

myerslawnandgarden wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:36 pm Also, I'm not sure that everyone knows that you should jack up the front of the tractor before greasing to give a better chance for the lubricant to be distributed equally. With the weight of the tractor on the center pin and spindles, there is little chance of grease getting to the bottom.

Bob
ANd this is the way you can add grease to the poor mans power steering kits (everyone should have these, in stock ready to ship! Just saying lol) in between removal and regressing :))

DavidBarkey wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:54 pm Here is a neat trick for a diy remote grease fitting for hard to get to fitttings . Now this is best done when the part can be removed . In this case the axle is removed , the grease fitting is removed and the hole drilled and tapped for 1/8" NPT . Then a 90 degree male/female "steel fitting is installed . On to that a grease gun replacement flex hose is installed . reinstall axle with the hose up through the frame to a convenient spot to mount a bracket to hold the tail end of the hose using a union to clamp it in place and receive a 1/8" npt grease fitting .
My 2 cents , you may keep the change .
Yes works great just like remote greasing on big equipment! All 4100 series should have had this from day one on axle lol. Great Tip David
MattA United States of America

Post by MattA »

The upgraded axle pin and poor man's power steering were probably the best upgrades I did on my tractor. The axle pin made such a huge difference. Wish I had spent the $50 sooner. The axle pin could have been a little shorter to take even more play out of the steering but the pin is probably sized for tractor production tolerances.

I measured my factory pin and found it had only worn 0.002". Even with very little wear, the difference made by changing the axle pin was huge. This is probably due to closing up the frame to axle gap.

I've done the steering gear shim change as well. This helped take up some play but not nearly as much as the pin upgrade. Even on a low hour tractor I still have play in the steering with the updates.
Ingersoll 4016
myerslawnandgarden United States of America

Post by myerslawnandgarden »

MattA wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:37 am The upgraded axle pin and poor man's power steering were probably the best upgrades I did on my tractor. The axle pin made such a huge difference. Wish I had spent the $50 sooner. The axle pin could have been a little shorter to take even more play out of the steering but the pin is probably sized for tractor production tolerances.

I measured my factory pin and found it had only worn 0.002". Even with very little wear, the difference made by changing the axle pin was huge. This is probably due to closing up the frame to axle gap.

I've done the steering gear shim change as well. This helped take up some play but not nearly as much as the pin upgrade. Even on a low hour tractor I still have play in the steering with the updates.
Matt,

There really isn't enough adjustment built into the design of the steering gears. You can tighten things up further by machining some material off the top of the sector gear hub and adding additional shim washers underneath.

Bob

MattA wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:37 am The upgraded axle pin and poor man's power steering were probably the best upgrades I did on my tractor. The axle pin made such a huge difference. Wish I had spent the $50 sooner. The axle pin could have been a little shorter to take even more play out of the steering but the pin is probably sized for tractor production tolerances.

Thats why we went and had our pins custom made to our specs as the others out there are just too long, as pins do wear a good bit too,
But most the play in the axle and steering comes from the plates spread and axle itself wearing. Poor man kit really helps with plows and blowers or weights hanging out front too.
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

When I grease the front end parts on any of my tractors, 4 different brands, I jack them up and grease them. And when I let them down I give them another little shot.

Noel