It's winter - at least in the north..how do you manage to paint parts?

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
ras101 United States of America

It's winter - at least in the north..how do you manage to paint parts?

Post by ras101 »

As the title says.. I live in WNY where temperatures are in the 20's and below most of the winter. Also, when painting outside in the cold the spray paint, especially from spray cans comes out like water and not spray. I know I could paint in my basement but the whole house stinks of paint for days after. Yes I could perhaps heat the garage too. Anyone got better methods. Most parts are small but also some larger parts too. Have I really got to wait till past spring to paint?
DavidBarkey Canada

Re: It's winter - at least in the north..how do you manage to paint parts?

Post by DavidBarkey »

ras101 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:13 am As the title says.. I live in WNY where temperatures are in the 20's and below most of the winter. Also, when painting outside in the cold the spray paint, especially from spray cans comes out like water and not spray. I know I could paint in my basement but the whole house stinks of paint for days after. Yes I could perhaps heat the garage too. Anyone got better methods. Most parts are small but also some larger parts too. Have I really got to wait till past spring to paint?
Ray , do you have dirrect access to an openable window in your basement ?
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder

Post by ras101 »

Dave, my basement is about 90% underground. Yeah I have about 4 windows that could be opened but they are in wells that are level with the ground around. In the past I have a basement workshop that I use mainly for woodwork and yes I have tried spraying there too. Opening the window did not seem to help, in fact it made matters worse...
keith Canada

Post by keith »

Been there done that. I set a fan in the window and closed the door to the workshop, as soon as :wife: could smell smell paint fumes upstairs I immediately realized I poked the bear. That rolling pin really hurts.

Post by ras101 »

keith wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:47 pm Been there done that. I set a fan in the window and closed the door to the workshop, as soon as :wife: could smell smell paint fumes upstairs I immediately realized I poked the bear. That rolling pin really hurts.
Thanks Keith I really needed that!So
Last edited by ras101 on Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RoamingGnome Canada

Post by RoamingGnome »

Sorry @ras101 Don't really have much of a practical solution for you, other than - for best results - spray paint in a month that doesn't have an "R" in the name - pretty much guaranteed good results in May, June, July and August... :rofl:

The only real solution is to have heat, and something that won't ignite paint fumes (no painting in the basement beside your Gas furnace)
One trick we used on construction equipment when it needed a quick touch up was to make sure the spray cans were "warm" (kept in the cab of our service truck so they were "warm" - maybe even on the dash with the heater on high :rolleyes: ) and then "warm up" the metal with a torch (or heat gun) until it was uncomfortably warm to hold on to - a quick shot of spray paint would almost dry on contact with the warm metal - obviously you aren't going to heat a part cherry red and have the spray paint ignite on contact. :109:

This could work with small parts, tubing, handles etc. - If you have a lot of painting to do - best to find a friend with a warm garage - get it really warm, turn off the heater, spray paint, wait til paint sets, and then ventilate the garage before turning the heater/furnace back on... or wait till summer.

from experience I can tell you spray paint will eventually dry if applied below 50°F - but, it has really poor adhesion to the metal surface, and will flake off if you look at it sideways... :109: Been there done that... :wave2:
'68 Case 195, '84 Case 446, '88 Ingersoll 222 - and 1965 Case 530ck (fullsize backhoe)
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

I avoid painting in the cold. As you know paint doesn’t flow right and takes forever to cure. I usually plan my paint work for summer outside.

But what about a cart on wheels? Your parts and paint would be up to temperature in the basement wheel them outside shoot them and wheel them right back in to dry. This assumes you have a walk out basement. Or maybe a quick and dirty paint booth. With a box fan and duct to take the fumes out the window? Just a couple thoughts that came to mind.

Post by ras101 »

JSinMO, wish I had a walk out but I don't. Still looking for any solutions, if there are any other than moving south...
thebuildist United States of America

Post by thebuildist »

Maybe only marginally helpful: but I spent the time and a bit of money to set up permanently installed cross-ventilation based fume extraction for my basement workshop, and it's been very helpful. I installed an exhaust fan like this https://www.homedepot.com/pep/VEVOR-12- ... /326145231 in the corner opposite my shop's entry door. So when I turn that fan on, it draws air in the door, across the shop, and out into my crawlspace. It could work the same with basement well windows, so long as it draws fresh air from an open source, passing through the problem area, and then discharges the fumes into a harmless place.

For me it's usually welding, grinding, or cutting oil fumes. But occasionally spray paint too. Spray paint fumes are the worst. But it helps a lot.

And admittedly it's warmer here than wny. But it's still remarkable how the basement stays effortlessly warm despite the occasional inrush of outside air.

For what it's worth.

Bob
"Never be afraid to try something new. How hard can it be?"
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

"curtain rods"
"curtain rods"
"curtain rods "  salvaged fence rail pipe
"curtain rods " salvaged fence rail pipe
one side White tarp tucked away
one side White tarp tucked away
back and the other side tarp tucked away
back and the other side tarp tucked away
entrance zipper , stick on for plastics .
entrance zipper , stick on for plastics .
roll up door , plug, fan box and used furnace filter from house.
roll up door , plug, fan box and used furnace filter from house.
outside of roll up door with fan lnstalled , window next to heater is opened when in use
outside of roll up door with fan lnstalled , window next to heater is opened when in use
tarps stop a few inches from ceiling . fresh air coming in the top and out the fan box . Still working out details , but you get the idea.
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder