Generator Light

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
findwaldo United States of America

Generator Light

Post by findwaldo »

Hello,

I just rebuilt my starter generator. I also installed a new battery. I made sure the new battery had a full charge before using it to clear snow today.

Tractor worked great for about 5 minutes, then the generator light came on when I increased the rpm’s because of heavy snow. The light remained on when the rpm’s were lowered.

I’ve found some good info from Eugen on testing the regulator that I will follow.

Should I have polarized the regulator/generator after the rebuild? I read somewhere that it wasn’t necessary, but this light has me thinking that it might be.

I would appreciate any thoughts you might have.

Thank you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Harry United States of America

Re: Generator Light

Post by Harry »

Findwaldo, yes with a starter generator you do not need to polarize. I found my generator light was coming on and staying on no matter what rpm. So I purchased a new regulator and it still came on. So I installed a ammeter and it reads charge when the engine is running. I have no idea why the light always came on. :peace: Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
ras101 United States of America

Post by ras101 »

You don't say what model year GT you have but on the later 3 digit models there is a voltage sensor (C30265) that is known to fail over time. When this happens the light will remain on even though the GT is charging OK.

Post by findwaldo »

That would have been helpful, sorry all.

This is a 1975ish 444

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

@findwaldo Welcome to the site . Check where the bracket fastens to the block for good clean ground . Check the with a meter at the battery to verify low voltage . If after following Eugens test you still have low output pull the S/G and check the brushes . I had one that drove me nuts after rebuilding . Finally found one of the new brushes , the braided wire was loose in the carbon block . Manufacturers defect .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder

Post by findwaldo »

I charged the battery back up with an external charger. Started it up and the light went out. Used the tractor for about 5 minutes and the light came on. With the tractor running, I tested the voltage at the battery and it was indeed low (12.4). Then I put the positive probe on the "A" terminal of the generator to see if it was put volts out and if it was I was going to suspect the regulator. However I only got 1-2 volts, so if my workflow is correct, I believe I have a problem with the generator...

Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

hey @findwaldo welcome to the site!

not sure I can help, but let us know what troubleshooting you do and what you notice and I'm sure the problem will be fixed. :wave3:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

findwaldo wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:00 pm I charged the battery back up with an external charger. Started it up and the light went out. Used the tractor for about 5 minutes and the light came on. With the tractor running, I tested the voltage at the battery and it was indeed low (12.4). Then I put the positive probe on the "A" terminal of the generator to see if it was put volts out and if it was I was going to suspect the regulator. However I only got 1-2 volts, so if my workflow is correct, I believe I have a problem with the generator...

Were you getting power to the "F" field terminal ?? If not go to regulator , if yes go to generator .

Edit .. After rereading this I realized I did not explain myself properly . "power" should have been ground and when I check it I put + of meter to "A" terminal and - of meter to to "F" terminal . It is a quick check . Bobs diag. tree is the correct way to do it .
Last edited by DavidBarkey on Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder

Post by findwaldo »

I didn’t test voltage at the F terminal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Just a guess here. But can the regulator cover be taken off. Maybe clean the points in the regulator. Some had an adjustment for voltage settings.

Noel