headlights wiring

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
keith Canada

headlights wiring

Post by keith »

Could someone please tell me where the wiring for the headlights is supposed to go. Up on top of the engine or below on the frame. On top doesn't sound right to me with the heat and hood closing on it. :hm:
propane1 Canada

Re: headlights wiring

Post by propane1 »

Mine on my 1982 Case 446 comes along the left side just at the top over the frame.

Noel
keith Canada

Post by keith »

I 'm not quite sure were you mean Noel. Does it run along the top side of the frame then back up to the lights at the front?
Toolslinger United States of America

Post by Toolslinger »

I can say that on my 444 it runs along the right side of the frame more or less. It tucks inside the sheetmetal as it reachs the front, and then up toward the lights. I ended up running mine inside some 1/4" poly tube after the second time it got pinched, and shorted. Not a problem with that since.
ssmewing United States of America

Post by ssmewing »

There is not just one route for all models. The thing that matters the most is it has to end up at the frame once it gets to the front of the tractor because it goes up the front grill at the hood hinge.

You will want a battery ground if you use LED lights. They do not work well when they are grounded to just the hood which has to then jump across the rusty hinge.
keith Canada

Post by keith »

Thank you Guys, I'm putting the tractor back together without knowing the factory route of all the wiring and trying not to do a hack job on it . Much appreciated! :cheers:
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

keith wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:51 pm I 'm not quite sure were you mean Noel. Does it run along the top side of the frame then back up to the lights at the front?
Yes that’s what I mean Kieth. Then up the same side to the battery area.

Noel
Toolslinger United States of America

Post by Toolslinger »

ssmewing wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:16 pm You will want a battery ground if you use LED lights. They do not work well when they are grounded to just the hood which has to then jump across the rusty hinge.
I'd go further and say you want a ground no matter what, if you want the lights to work. That rusty hinge pin is going to be an issue either way. Hell, I'd hate running ground through a brand new tractor in a joint like that let alone our vintage machines.
ras101 United States of America

Post by ras101 »

While you at it why not replace the "rusty hinge pin" ? I have changed all my tribe to stainless for a few pennies each and a few minutes of time cutting the rod to length!
ras101 United States of America

Post by ras101 »

Keith, just to clarify. The wiring should be down low and run either above or below the frame rail. I use a couple of ties to hold it there. When you reach the front is where it gets a little difficult... remember you need to be able to remove the hood sometimes for even basic service so for me I keep my three way ( I mean by that the connector that splits the connections between the two headlights) towards the bottom of the hood and close to the hinge pin. When removing the hood that connector is my go to for disconnection.

Just my two cents..

Ray