Page 1 of 1

54" blade with 220

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:38 pm
by NGraham
Good afternoon all,

I just found a 54 Inch snow blade on marketplace, and was wondering wat you veterans thought of pairing it with my 220.

From hat I understand it will mount, but will it be too much weight?

Re: 54" blade with 220

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:05 pm
by Eugen
In my humble opinion the weight difference between a 54" blade and the smaller one should not be a problem.

Withe either blade in front, small or big, traction is the biggest problem for snow duty. Look for ways to add weight to the rear wheels or rear of the tractor and find rear tire chains. With these tractors usually the power of the tractor isn't the problem, but traction at the wheel is. :cheers:

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:54 pm
by DavidBarkey
I agree with what Eugen said , it is all about gription . 2x chains with wheel weights and rear weight box would be ideal . The Case wheel weight are nicer looking but most universal fit for 12" rims will fit the 200 series . Or you can make your own like I did .

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:11 pm
by ssmewing
Front blades do not require horsepower. The bigger the blade the more of just about everything else you will need.

As others said weight and chains are what every tractor needs for traction. 2 link chain sets have twice as many cross-links as the 4 link sets.

Wheel weights are always hard to find and costly, most of the time. But, my go-to is filling your tires. Some use washer fluid because it does not freeze. Then there is beat juice or Rim Guard that outweighs water by 3 lbs per gallon at a little over 11 lbs. That is what I use.

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:38 pm
by Harry
I agree with all the above. More weight with chains is the way to go. :peace: Harry

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:45 pm
by keith
Not sure if its just me but I enjoy watching youtube videos of all the case ingersolls plowing and throwing snow and not having to shovel. :cheers:

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:21 pm
by Eugen
keith wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:45 pm Not sure if its just me but I enjoy watching youtube videos of all the case ingersolls plowing and throwing snow and not having to shovel. :cheers:
I do! :highfive:

Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:05 pm
by NGraham
Thank you all, lets see if I can get it! :highfive:

Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:31 pm
by Eugen
Try and bargain a bit though, I saw it and I think I'd try to bring the price down somewhat. If it's the one that he wants 400 for. That's just me, everyone may think differently. On the other hand, I know that when I hesitated ... it was gone. So hard to decide sometimes :headbash:

Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:33 pm
by NGraham
Eugen wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:31 pm Try and bargain a bit though, I saw it and I think I'd try to bring the price down somewhat. If it's the one that he wants 400 for. That's just me, everyone may think differently. On the other hand, I know that when I hesitated ... it was gone. So hard to decide sometimes :headbash:
Yep that's the one, I was planning on working him down to 300 if I can, I could live with that.

Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:36 pm
by Eugen
:rofl: :rofl: and to think that I was going to sell mine for 175 :109:

Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:27 pm
by JSinMO
Eugen wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:36 pm :rofl: :rofl: and to think that I was going to sell mine for 175 :109:
I’d have to go back and check, but I think I gave $130 US for mine

Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:13 pm
by Eugen
JSinMO wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:27 pm
Eugen wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:36 pm :rofl: :rofl: and to think that I was going to sell mine for 175 :109:
I’d have to go back and check, but I think I gave $130 US for mine
Double prices in :canada: :hm:

Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:30 pm
by Harry
The one I bought a few years ago the guy wanted $130. I tried to get him down to $100. He was firm at $110. Then after I loaded it I noticed no lift arm. I asked if he had one. He said he bought one new. He got it and it looked pristine. I shook his hand and said thanks. He pulled the lift arm away and said $20 more for the lift arm. So I paid him and left. :cuss: :furious: He also had an old 60” deck that he said give me $50 and it’s yours. I didn’t have the extra $50 so I told him I would give him a call back and pay him when I pick it up. Well winter came and went so in the spring I called and went over to get the 60” deck. Were looking at the deck which was outside under a tarp. He says it’s now $150. I said why the extra $100? He says inflation. I told him that the 60” deck had been modified by someone to fit on the back of a GT with a 3pt. He had no idea. I also told him as I looked under it there were no blades on it. I said you never used it right. He agreed and said when he purchased his 448, the guy told him to take the deck. I held $50 out to him and said thats all it’s worth. He says oh no it’s worth over $200. I said not to me and walked away. I’ll bet it’s still setting in his backyard full of mouse nests. :violin: :peace: Harry

Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:44 pm
by JSinMO
Harry wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:30 pm The one I bought a few years ago the guy wanted $130. I tried to get him down to $100. He was firm at $110. Then after I loaded it I noticed no lift arm. I asked if he had one. He said he bought one new. He got it and it looked pristine. I shook his hand and said thanks. He pulled the lift arm away and said $20 more for the lift arm. So I paid him and left. :cuss: :furious: He also had an old 60” deck that he said give me $50 and it’s yours. I didn’t have the extra $50 so I told him I would give him a call back and pay him when I pick it up. Well winter came and went so in the spring I called and went over to get the 60” deck. Were looking at the deck which was outside under a tarp. He says it’s now $150. I said why the extra $100? He says inflation. I told him that the 60” deck had been modified by someone to fit on the back of a GT with a 3pt. He had no idea. I also told him as I looked under it there were no blades on it. I said you never used it right. He agreed and said when he purchased his 448, the guy told him to take the deck. I held $50 out to him and said thats all it’s worth. He says oh no it’s worth over $200. I said not to me and walked away. I’ll bet it’s still setting in his backyard full of mouse nests. :violin: :peace: Harry
Sounds like you came across a real gem of a guy to deal with! I say good on you for walking away from that deck, and I have no doubt your right, its still sitting in the same spot where you saw it. I bought mine at that farm auction where I got the 446 and Herbie the truck. At the time I felt like $130 was the upper limit, but since then I’ve felt like it was a pretty good price since it seems like the blade spent most of its life sitting in a barn and used very little.

Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:03 am
by Ingersoll224
JSinMO wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:44 pm ... it seems like the blade spent most of its life sitting in a barn and used very little.
That was the story of the blade for mine. I bought and sold it for $100 but it was a fabricated unit, not Case. If I have to move dirt, I find a Brinly box scraper works better than a front blade. Snow? Snowcaster.

Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:29 pm
by NGraham
Well I got him down to 300, so I think I'm gonna bite. Even if I find another, I doubt they're selling full assembly for less than 250, so what's 50 bucks.

Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:21 pm
by Eugen
I always say, get that if it's worth it for you. Chasing the lowest price is akin to gambling. :thumbsup: