Building a snow cab

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
ras101 United States of America

Re: Building a snow cab

Post by ras101 »

myerslawnandgarden wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:15 pm
ras101 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:35 am Measured the front metal gauge @ 0.085 inches (13 gauge?)

I took a long look at your fab pics . I noticed that you have moved the cab front way forward! I also noticed you have a standard ONAN engine (B43-48M). If you leave the cab that far forward you will fill the cab with exhaust fumes (even though the engine is reversed) that are carried by the cooling fan through the engine tins and out the rear of the engine and straight into the cab..

Ray
Ray,

I'm not clear on your line of thinking. The P220G engine draws in cooling air through the perforated panels on each side of the dash tower and the cooling air exits the front of the tractor through the grill. With the exhaust also exiting forward I'm not sure why the cab would fill with exhaust any more than any other application. Am I missing something here?

Bob
Hi Bob, like you said I realize that the 4020 air flow seems to move the air forward but because of how the muffler exits the hood a great deal of the gases end up back under the hood and exhaust back towards the driver and therefore the cab. Extending the cab over the hood and engine just makes matters worse. There have been numerous posts of members looking for solutions to evacuate the cab of the fumes, mainly fitting vents and fans above the back panel. I agree most have been running 3 digit GTs but there have been several 4 digit users too. For me I just prefer to play safe with that one.

Also, as Harry has said extending the cab forward impacts being able to open the hood and would require the depth of the windshield to be reduced to allow opening, etc.

Ray
BobAfton United States of America

Post by BobAfton »

"Also, as Harry has said extending the cab forward impacts being able to open the hood and would require the depth of the windshield to be reduced to allow opening, etc."
Ray and others, here is how I extended the front "legs" of the cab and can still open the hood.
Bob
Front Hinged Panel.JPG
download (2).jpg

Post by ras101 »

bob, you inspired me with your cab and have researched my needs and my creation you have driven that... Thank you!
Last edited by ras101 on Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by ras101 »

BobAfton wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:40 pm "Also, as Harry has said extending the cab forward impacts being able to open the hood and would require the depth of the windshield to be reduced to allow opening, etc."
Ray and others, here is how I extended the front "legs" of the cab and can still open the hood.
Bob
Front Hinged Panel.JPG
download (2).jpg
Bob, YOU my friend are the very person that really got me out there looking for cab solutions! I guess my hero! I loved your article on other forum sites, etc. So I for one am just trying here to keep the faith and continue the quest you started a few years ago.. If you want to take the rains and update and keep us up to date with new ideas I would love to follow your lead... For me right now I want to work on Bob's great start... I invite Bob and everyone else to help us move forward as a team... I certainly have a lot of ideas, that is why AI am here, but also want others to identify their needs too. Want to join? just start responding to this post?..

Post by ras101 »

BobAfton wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:40 pm "Also, as Harry has said extending the cab forward impacts being able to open the hood and would require the depth of the windshield to be reduced to allow opening, etc."
Bob
Front Hinged Panel.JPG
download (2).jpg
Bob, just for info. I really followed your advice and rework/remake of your cab a couple of years ago. I must admit though that there are others that are still trying to find reasons to ignore/upgrade. as I have upgraded/continue to upgrade your posting has always been my go-to.

Bob, all I can ask of you is please share your work here! Like you I have joined and shared with multiple forums just to be ignored. I know that this forum is different! Every member is an enthusiast and WANTS to listen.. Please share...

Ray

If I got/get even close to what you have done I would not even bee here posting! I now have two K@ cabs, the last in perhaps less than a month. The first has been totally sandblasted and assembled in my basement (in my defense I am 76 years old) . I need to not only undercoat and paint but assemble with MY ideas too! Yeah I have a few! perhaps too many...

Ray

Post by ras101 »

Oh, BTW another thing I have done with my cabs installs and I must admit other things too al-la installs is I am not only lazy but looking for easy ways to do things! Just know my past life said improve everything, leave nothing the same (my job guys was quality management & process improvement!) , always reduce steps and you have got it! So whenever I see "nuts and bolts and washers" what do I do? try to FIX it! in this case (pun really intended here guys) I look at what I am trying to joint together and well, why?
On the cab - cab to cab parts being joined together are much better joined with stainless riv nuts than just nuts and bolts as they need to come apart sometimes often and also you can add "fender type washers to increase the panel thickness.
Besides that connecting the cab to say the GT fenders you can either fit with nuts and bolts and have to try to reach both sides with wheels between or just fit, install bolt and washer and tighten to spec. Fitting with stainless riv nuts, and then accompanying stainless washer for thickness, is a far better solution too. I tend to use stainless riv nuts rather than just nuts and washers where possible. Don't you?

Post by ras101 »

Thanks Harry, I thought I was the only one here!

1) IMO there are two basic requirements - increase viability!

2) Make the cab easy to entry and exit! perhaps I am wrong?

I have followed the K1 and K2 cab design a lot, I mean a lot more than I should!, Including the current updates that members have chosen to share.

I now have two, both K2. I know from experience that the cab is very claustrophobic but more important provides little view outside. So what can we do? stick with the original cab? - and do basically nothing? or just basically enjoy what you can, hope the door windows survive you, etc...

So the rest of us? not sure yet.. I know that I will not leave it here for me as I have one stripped and in bits in my basement ... I have some/a lot of ideas, but I need help! want to help? great so respond and start. Want to sit back and let others do the work? your choice, but the more involved the quicker the resolution and the better the outcome!.

Ray

\
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

Here are a few pics I found in a folder that I saved. Not mine, I would have painted the blower. :O :peace: Harry
Attachments
IMG_3307.png
IMG_3306.png
IMG_3305.png
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
keith Canada

Post by keith »

Harry that is one beautiful tractor. :cheers: The one you own with the back blade.
Last edited by keith on Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by ras101 »

Harry wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:45 am Here are a few pics I found in a folder that I saved. Not mine, I would have painted the blower. :O :peace: Harry
Now that's what I call a solution Harry! Anyone that has run a Case cab knows how claustrophobic they are inside and the limited view. The cab you show maximizes vision - love it!