K2 Cab buy

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
ras101 United States of America

K2 Cab buy

Post by ras101 »

So out of the 448 package on Craigslist for a 1987 448 plus snowblower (S48 - really want this as it needed new bearing an some TLC), N46 deck that quite frankly is shot and should just be scrapped I walked away with the Cab, a K2 that has seen a few better days but we all know how often these come up for sale.
The Cab has a lot of surface rust on the roof but all the parts are there.
Interestingly the manual windshield wiper is there (not seen one of these before!

So now my questions:

I am going to upgrade this Cab into the future but initially, ie this winter I want to just get under cover! Like most cabs the doors are there and actually work! problem is the windows have been basically "punched" out and I need at least a temporary fix. Anyone have a quick solution?

Anyone updated their snow caster (J or L series) chute rotator to use with a cab?
DavidBarkey Canada

Re: K2 Cab buy

Post by DavidBarkey »

ras101 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:26 pm So out of the 448 package on Craigslist for a 1987 448 plus snowblower (S48 - really want this as it needed new bearing an some TLC), N46 deck that quite frankly is shot and should just be scrapped I walked away with the Cab, a K2 that has seen a few better days but we all know how often these come up for sale.
Interestingly the manual windshield wiper is there (not seen one of these before!

So now my questions:

I am going to upgrade this Cab into the future but initially, ie this winter I want to just get under cover! Like most cabs the doors are there and actually work! problem is the windows have been basically "punched" out and I need at least a temporary fix. Anyone have a quick solution?

Anyone updated their snow caster (J or L series) chute rotator to use with a cab?
A picture of the doors would help us help you.
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

The cab on the 446 I purchased after seeing it in somebody’s front yard on saw horses. It was on a JD the seller told me. It’s a metal cab with no identification. The front windshield is glass but the window in the back and doors are plexiglass . The doors are plywood. Ithad a wiper on the windshield but is hand operated. I paid $100 for it. Ray originally I poked a hole in the canvas and ran the hand crank rod through it. What a pain that hand was so I converted it to an electric motor. Glad to hear you scored the cab, they are nice. :peace: Harry
Attachments
IMG_3241.jpeg
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
MattA United States of America

Post by MattA »

My modern CB34 cab has a slit cut in the front which the chute rotation handle sticks through. I posted some pictures of the handle in TimJ's 448 thread. Basically my chute rotator handle has an extension to allow it to reach into the cab. Now my Berco was setup for a left hand chute rotation handle. My solution to fix this was buying the electric chute and deflector control kit.
Ingersoll 4016
Grayelve United States of America

Post by Grayelve »

ras101 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:26 pm So out of the 448 package on Craigslist for a 1987 448 plus snowblower (S48 - really want this as it needed new bearing an some TLC), N46 deck that quite frankly is shot and should just be scrapped I walked away with the Cab, a K2 that has seen a few better days but we all know how often these come up for sale.

So now my questions:

You can get some 1/16 plex from Home Depot or 1/8" from a supplier which would be good for that size window. That electric chute kit sounds nice and I like Harry's chute mode with an electric pitch or discharge height control. Manual chute control: If you have another strait rode chute control you can form up flex loops and a bracket on the tunnel to bring it into the cab. Did the tractor itself sound strong to you. Hope this may help and Thanks. Grayelve with a little bear 224 pushing a 38 caster.
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Grayelve wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:52 am

You can get some 1/16 plex from Home Depot or 1/8" from a supplier which would be good for that size window. That electric chute kit sounds nice and I like Harry's chute mode with an electric pitch or discharge height control. Manual chute control: If you have another strait rode chute control you can form up flex loops and a bracket on the tunnel to bring it into the cab. Did the tractor itself sound strong to you. Hope this may help and Thanks. Grayelve with a little bear 224 pushing a 38 caster.
Welcome to site @Grayelve , good to see you join the discussion. Hope you have a good time here and find what you're looking for. :thumbsup:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:

Post by ras101 »

DavidBarkey wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:08 pm

So now my questions:

Dave, pics of the doors...
Attachments
Door2.jpeg
Door 1.jpeg
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

ras101 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:37 pm

So now my questions:

Ray , now your statement makes sense . The vinyl has be come brittle and needs to be replaced . Are there any marinas near by ? The people who do boat tops have the experience and the material to make those rag doors new again . Same goes for Upholsterers that do tent trailers and awnings. If you get someone who is not busy right now, they can do it fairly quickly .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder

Post by ras101 »

DavidBarkey wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:07 pm
ras101 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:37 pm

Ray , now your statement makes sense . The vinyl has be come brittle and needs to be replaced . Are there any marinas near by ? The people who do boat tops have the experience and the material to make those rag doors new again . Same goes for Upholsterers that do tent trailers and awnings. If you get someone who is not busy right now, they can do it fairly quickly .
Never thought of that and thank you! great place to at least start looking. I live in Webster NY and only 1/2 mile from Lake Ontario so there are several boat places that I can check out!

Ray