Snow Caster Belt Tension and Specs

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
Toolslinger United States of America

Snow Caster Belt Tension and Specs

Post by Toolslinger »

Ok... So the caster worked great, until it chewed up the belt...
I put another that I had on hand from my previous 38" caster. I'm suspicious of it... It's in great shape, and it has possibly 1 hour on it if that. However the spring tensioner has almost no additional room to take up slack when the belt inevitably stretches a little.

So... I need Snow Caster Belt 101 here gang. I understand there are different belts for the 200's vs the 400's. I saw something about different pulley sizes somewhere as well. What are all the details I need to make sure I've got the right belt? And, once I have the right belt, how much tension should the tensioner have on it?
DavidBarkey Canada

Re: Snow Caster Belt Tension and Specs

Post by DavidBarkey »

Toolslinger wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:19 pm Ok... So the caster worked great, until it chewed up the belt...
I put another that I had on hand from my previous 38" caster. I'm suspicious of it... It's in great shape, and it has possibly 1 hour on it if that. However the spring tensioner has almost no additional room to take up slack when the belt inevitably stretches a little.

So... I need Snow Caster Belt 101 here gang. I understand there are different belts for the 200's vs the 400's. I saw something about different pulley sizes somewhere as well. What are all the details I need to make sure I've got the right belt? And, once I have the right belt, how much tension should the tensioner have on it?
If you message Bob he can ask all the questions you need answered for him to get you the right belt .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
myerslawnandgarden United States of America

Post by myerslawnandgarden »

Toolslinger wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:19 pm Ok... So the caster worked great, until it chewed up the belt...

I can give you the OEM part number and dimensions if you need to find something locally to get up and running. Bear in mind that the OEM belt will give the best service and probably costs less than two of the aftermarket belts. All I need to know is your tractor model and the diameter of the drive pulley on your snowcaster jackshaft. It will be either 6" or 6.5" OD. The tensioner spring is pretty stiff and should be stretched a good amount with the correct belt.

We got around 3" Friday night, another inch Saturday and 8" is predicted Tuesday with high winds so spent the afternoon getting the 4018 ready at Mom's farm.

Bob
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

So what I ran into with my new to me J serries caster is that the H & J casters 6.5" drive pulley use belt C23950 on 400 serries tractors. 81.625" belt length.
The rest of the casters K-S and the SB's 6" drive pulley used on 400/4000 serries tractors use belt C23539. 80.5" belt length.

My caster has had the drive pulley changed to the 6". I had to do a little searching to figure this out. I will know tomorrow when I put the belt on how it's going to fit up.
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
myerslawnandgarden United States of America

Post by myerslawnandgarden »

Timj wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:07 pm So what I ran into with my new to me J serries caster is that the H & J casters 6.5" drive pulley use belt C23950 on 400 serries tractors. 81.625" belt length.
The rest of the casters K-S and the SB's 6" drive pulley used on 400/4000 serries tractors use belt C23539. 80.5" belt length.

My caster has had the drive pulley changed to the 6". I had to do a little searching to figure this out. I will know tomorrow when I put the belt on how it's going to fit up.
The 6" pulley makes a night and day difference in performance.

Bob
Toolslinger United States of America

Post by Toolslinger »

I know I was less than impressed with my 38" caster... That's an older machine, so likely the 6.5" pulley. The 48 was excellent until I killed the belt, and that's got a 6". Until I tried it, I wasn't convinced the Case would equal my Deere. Now, assuming it doesn't keep eating belts, I'm comfortable with selling the Deere... Will need another storm to see how things go.