EZ clutches

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
ras101 United States of America

EZ clutches

Post by ras101 »

Been looking awhile about E_Z clutches ... you might have seen some of my earlier posts. So we have talked a little about some aspects of the EZ clutch but I really thought, and hope eventually that we can set up a thread especially to cover this to its end.

As you all know PTO clutches are part of our lives and how they work or not is what makes our GT's great! If we can't get that right how can we say our GT's are the best!!!

When I started looking at this issue earlier in the new year I thought it would be easy looking from others advice... little did I know that I was walking into a hornets nest..

I have set up this thread, I hope to just talk through our issues, I want to keep this to E-Z adjust clutches only please.

I thought when I started down this path I was looking at a single entity having moved on from the shim adjust version - was I sooooo wrong!

Since my initiation I have found different cam styles, fork styles, even quantity and thickness of wavy washers and shims, etc. Yeah there is always larking in the background parts lists for each year, etc if you can find them..

So I took to YouTube to start and found a couple of good video's that are helping a lot but I really have one main issue - I have 4 "sets" of parts and there are subtle differences between them - forks are different lengths, cams are different styles, etc. Yes I have the parts list and operator manual for my year (1985 but I also have a 1979 lurking not too fa behind needing attention too before summer).

For me, I need more ... how do we as enthusiasts overcome this challenge? Seems the only thing that seems constant are the bearings and I have those.

Want to help me build my new 1985 448 PTO? tell me how? Oh, to get you guys motivated my ONLY snow machine right now is a green one...!
Last edited by ras101 on Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: EZ clutches

Post by ras101 »

So here's the first question and where I am trying to take this thread..

I have found two styles/types of PTO Cams (shown below)!
The outside dimension for both is the same and I thought it was just a different machine shop style but if you take a closer look the bearings are fitted from the opposite sides to each other? I assume one set are early production and the other later so which set are the ones intended for a 1985 448 GT..?

I have checked the parts list drawings for all the 448 variants since conception till they move to four digit and they all show the cams with lobes..

If that is the case (pun very much intended) what is the "other style" used on?
Attachments
PTO cam 2.jpeg
PTO Cam 1.jpeg
Last edited by ras101 on Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by ras101 »

So lets continue this theme..
Almost all the parts I have for my "new" PTO clutch have a certain amount of surface rust that has developed over the years. Obviously, before i rebuild that just has to go and I have a new rust treatment to try from Amazon that just needs the parts submerged (let you know how well it works).. So obviously I don't want to paint the parts but how do you keep them rust free into the future?
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

image.png
I am told this works well and fairly easy to get your hands on . I have not tried it myself yet , but recommend by a friend .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
myerslawnandgarden United States of America

Post by myerslawnandgarden »

The cams are used interchangeably, the earlier design C23033 is a cast part and the later design C47925 (part of the C47520 kit) is CNC machined steel. Both perform the same function with the steel part being more durable.

Bob

Post by ras101 »

Thanks again Bob, but why is the entry of the bearings reversed/ From what you have said I will be using the machined version as I have two sets of those...

Post by ras101 »

When I viewed the YouTube videos they made a great point of repacking the new bearings with grease before install and I am going to follow that advice. I bought new bearings from Brian at SalemPwr (Titan 6206 RSLC3) and noted they came from China. My question is if I repack the grease what do people recommend? I was thinking a Moly grease (STP Moly EP Grease) but looking for suggestions too.

Post by ras101 »

So, yet another question for the experts.

The pulley and disk assembly are different sizes in my stock of parts? How can this be? my only guess is 200 to 400 series but I am truly at a loss.

I have two pulleys that have an OD of 5 inches and one that is 4 5/8 inches.. Tending to the 5 inch pulleys but what would the 4 5/8 pulley be used for?

Post by ras101 »

So from what I know so far..

The 1985 PTO clutch fitted to my GT is at best a hybrid! and at worst cobbled together!!!!

Seems to have parts from early clutches and others from 1985-87 production. Just as well I have quite a stash of parts that I have collected over the past few years.

In some respects I feel I should follow Harry and just change everything to electric (one of my GT's that has a B&S implant already is and works faultlessly too). At least I am trying to stay original with my two remaining GT's with Onans but...

So now I have ordered new shim washers (already have new wavy washers) for the whole clutch together with new nuts (yeah the previous even fitted lock nuts!) so now I wait on Brian to ship the parts.
myerslawnandgarden United States of America

Post by myerslawnandgarden »

Ras101, I really try to support this forum with accurate information and will survive without your business. But looking back at your posts for the last couple of months you have referenced your primary parts supplier 3 time or more. If you have a technical question, why don't you call your supplier instead of asking for advice here? How many times have they responded? I don't care where you buy your parts, but why advertise that here when someone is trying to help you?

While I appreciate the business that other's provide on this site, I cannot continue to spend time that I could otherwise use for better purposes.

Anyone else, please feel free to contact me directly.

Sorry Eugen, I think I need to take a step back..............

Bob