EZ clutches

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
ras101 United States of America

Re: EZ clutches

Post by ras101 »

I almost made a big mistake! Thanks to Bob @ myerslawnandgarden who texted me and told me I had ordered the wrong PTO! I had inadvertently ordered one with a 5 1/2 fork and I needed the 6 1/2 version. Bob has/had been following my posting and had noted the issue.. We resolved the issue and the correct part is now on its way - should be here tomorrow.

Its nice to know our dealers are following us here and have our backs!
Ray

Post by ras101 »

Received my total PTO clutch assembly today! Yeah one day later than planned but not the fault of Bob @ myerslawnandgarden but the USPS transit and above all the weather. The part was very well packed and there was even a surprise too, actually several surprises .

The first was Bob had taken the time to mark some of the parts - the fan to show the front - great idea!. The second marking the cams - I think all cams should be marked to show "rear" and "front" and "top". I think that we should all do that anyway before disassembling. My thanks to Bob for taking the time and making my job easier (another example of our suppliers looking after us!)
Another surprise was that the assembly came with new countersunk Allen screws and countersunk washers too. Yeah the "complete package"

Hoping to start installing this tomorrow and will take pics as I progress but the weather right now is against me - WNY and snowing like hell! sorry for the profanity. .

Ray

Post by ras101 »

One thing that really stood out with the new PTO was that the Pulley/clutch face was the smaller diameter! if you have been following this thread you will know what I mean! Part of why I ordered the complete kit was because I have maybe 4-5 kits of PTO parts from various sources and over several years now and have really no idea what works with what. Couple that with assembling my latest clutch and not happy with the engagement I needed a restart on my thinking too. So from my initial assessment, and remember initial is the word here, the smaller diameter pulley is part of the newer style as are the machined cams rather than the cast cams, etc. BTW, there's nothing wrong with the earlier versions just that I am trying to build the latest and greatest..

Ray

Post by ras101 »

So Bob,# myerslawnandgarden, I am already impressed!!! I have had a real chance to review my PTO clutch you sent. As I said it arrived only this morning so early days but WOW.
The first thing that really got to me after I settled down was that there are Sooooo many changes to these parts over even a short period of Case/Ingersoll time and some need to be updated together or not at all. When we buy parts , I am not sure any of us really understand the changes that have been made since our model was made. Not talking about an individual part (correction yes I am!). I have found out that parts are not necessarily interchangeable. I think we need perhaps more help from our suppliers to understand what works together and what does not and basically encourage us to include this item, or that when we order new parts. As I have said previously there are different sized pulleys, cams that have changed, even belts that are different lengths because of parts changes, etc. perhaps a chart might help? not sure but when we order parts we should know what we need and not what we hope we need. Lets face it, especially for say winter when we need a part to run our GT's it needs to be the correct part every time! As we get older, hand shoveling the driveway is not an option but life threatening.

Bob i really have no complaint with you and your company either, in effect I am really impressed. I do however ask that you try even harder too. Help us maintain our beloved machines. Lets make them the best they can be.. Take the lead here.. Tell us how we can do this? rather than sitting back and waiting for our questions. An example might be "we are coming up for winter.. consider an oil change - offer solutions and parts, change belts with solutions, etc
. Its that type of thing I am thinking here.. You my friend have taken that at least halfway or more I am hoping you close the loop here too.

Am I asking too much of our suppliers?
Ray
THEOTHERHALF United States of America

Post by THEOTHERHALF »

Hi Ray, I was just wondering if the fork difference was the problem when not getting the snap, while engaging your rebuilt clutch ? Kyle :?:

Post by ras101 »

THEOTHERHALF wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:37 pm Hi Ray, I was just wondering if the fork difference was the problem when not getting the snap, while engaging your rebuilt clutch ? Kyle :?:
Kyle, not sure yet but stay tuned...

Post by ras101 »

So I was about to start work yet again on fitting my totally new PTO to my 1985 448 and well just stopped! Why? well having gone through the previous few weeks with parts that had been cleaned, various part designs, sizes, etc. I wanted to record completely my experience for both myself and others. I know now that even EZ adjust clutches have gone though multiple "upgrades" over the years and since Ingersoll stopped production too. Like, i think most of you, the changes that have been made to the parts, were made with interchangeability in mind - found out that is wrong big time!

When I started this thread I thought that perhaps the conversation might go a couple of weeks at best but guys it is obvious that this subject is important to all of us. So I have stepped back... No not that I will not share, quite the contrary I want to make a meaningful EZ PTO source for our future here. I will probably start a new thread rather than continue this one as I want to condense the final to help everyone into the future. My intent is to create the posting off line so the whole posting appears complete with no comments between. There will be plenty of pics though!

Ray
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

ras101 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:36 am So I was about to start work yet again on fitting my totally new PTO to my 1985 448 and well just stopped! Why? well having gone through the previous few weeks with parts that had been cleaned, various part designs, sizes, etc. I wanted to record completely my experience for both myself and others. I know now that even EZ adjust clutches have gone though multiple "upgrades" over the years and since Ingersoll stopped production too. Like, i think most of you, the changes that have been made to the parts, were made with interchangeability in mind - found out that is wrong big time!

When I started this thread I thought that perhaps the conversation might go a couple of weeks at best but guys it is obvious that this subject is important to all of us. So I have stepped back... No not that I will not share, quite the contrary I want to make a meaningful EZ PTO source for our future here. I will probably start a new thread rather than continue this one as I want to condense the final to help everyone into the future. My intent is to create the posting off line so the whole posting appears complete with no comments between. There will be plenty of pics though!

Ray
Ray, you could create a word document or pdf and upload it in the technical section. :cheers:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:

Post by ras101 »

When I complete this I will definitely create a new thread in the Technical Library detailing the EZ PTO Clutch..

For now this is really more of a blog of where I am, etc.

As you know, if you have followed along I bought a complete new PTO from Bob @ casegardentractorparts.com. Thank you for the quick update and help!
Took the assembled PTO apart and segregated it from my "other" parts that were in my stash. Besides ending up with a complete and working PTO I also wanted to check my "other" parts too. First thing I noticed is My machined cams, not the cast profiled cams were the latest (really no surprise here).
The second was that the pulley was the small diameter version I mentioned earlier in this post that I reworked with a new friction disc, etc.
Another thing I want to draw your attention too is the fork - the new fork matched the fork I was using but with a small (I think big) issue my original fork had been REWORKED! fork was slightly different so obviously not the same manufacturer but my original had been "tampered with" i.e the fork ends had been ground off (i.e, the rivets had been ground and it looks like the fork ends are from a different fork, possibly the short version that I got in the PO kit of parts?

The cams I am using are definitely the latest version, machined and not profiled too.

I think, having a complete factory PTO has helped me tremendously to identify what is wrong with my PTO. For those following this thread all I can say is stay tuned .. there's more to come here...

Post by ras101 »

So every felt vindicated/right!? I have just finished a total measurement of the" parts" for my EZ clutch. Sorry not into going back years and checking - that's yours to deal with. What I am talking about is NOW! For me how do I create/build the LATEST product? my motivation is that the latest includes ALL the previous issues too and above all, all the latest machining too? So if you have been following here you will know that I have two different size pulleys, cams that are either profiled or straight, etc. Bottom line guys is that the smaller pulley is the newest, the cam latest cam is machined and not profiled either. Number of other things too.. Follow this thread for more inf.