It's better to be lucky than good...

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
Toolslinger United States of America

It's better to be lucky than good...

Post by Toolslinger »

Keeping with the theme of getting ready for the 444 to take over winter duties from the JD140, I decided I would take a look at the set of tire chains I had hung on to when I sold off a dozen or more sets last year. They're bigger than car chains, so I figured Id be able to make them work for the 444. Chians are always a pain with ag tires, but these are v-bar, so they're a littler taller than just chains, and I was hopeful. I also have a bucket with some additional cross chains that match in case I had to lengthen.

So, jack up one side, and drape them over. Boy, they're gonna be close. This is going to be easy...

Cross chain spaceing is working out nicely, so they drop between the ag lugs, and the v-bars are sticking out above the lugs by 1/4...

Made up the inside. Strangly, the length was perfect...

Pulled the outside together, and damned if they didn't hook up, and close nicely, and there's almost no slack. Spun the tire, and everyting clears the fenders. Chains are all between lugs... I threw a set of spring tensioners on the outside as I know they'll move a little and loosen up some, but they are the nicest fitting set of chains I've ever worked with... Dropped that wheel, and the other side was a repeat.

For once, a project that I had planned to take a couple hours due to modifications wound up taking 15-20 minutes.

Started the 444, and moved it down to my uncles garage. That's the only building on either property that's basically mouseproof (other than my house, but that's up on piers, so no garage). Parked next to the JD140. Amazing, they're both very capable machines, with the same engine. The 444 is just physically more imposing. I suspect a 200 series would look more the same. With that it was on to other projects...
Eugen Canada

Re: It's better to be lucky than good...

Post by Eugen »

Yeah, when that happens to me I ponder in awe "why have I ever thought I had anything at all under control.". :cheers:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
DavidBarkey Canada

Re: It's better to be lucky than good...

Post by DavidBarkey »

@Toolslinger , Go buy a lottery ticket while lady luck is still on your side .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder