Onan B series starter removal

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
Harry United States of America

Onan B series starter removal

Post by Harry »

On my 446 there is an Onan B series engine. I have had to remove the starter a few times and it’s always a PITA. A while ago I came up with the idea of cutting the blower housing so I wouldn’t have to remove so many parts to get the starter off. Now most people would say I’m committing a Cardinal sin. They say by cutting the housing there would be air leaking out and the cylinder head on the starter side would overheat and the valve seats may come loose. Similar to not having a oil filter seal on. I have owned this GT for probably thirty years and until ten years ago I never knew there should be a oil filter seal. I have one on now but didn’t for twenty years when the GT was used mostly for cutting grass. Today it’s used only for blowing snow. Well as you can see from the pics I have completed the blower housing where the inspection cover bolts to the housing. I TIG welded nuts to the inside of the housing and welded metal strips to overlap where it was cut. I don’t believe there will be much air escaping around the inspection cover. :peace: Harry
Attachments
Inspection cover
Inspection cover
Blower housing cut out
Blower housing cut out
Opposite side of housing
Opposite side of housing
Inspection cover bolted on
Inspection cover bolted on
Blower housing bolted in engine
Blower housing bolted in engine
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
RoamingGnome Canada

Re: Onan B series starter removal

Post by RoamingGnome »

Well done! That looks like a very workable soloution :thumbsup:
'68 Case 195, '84 Case 446, '88 Ingersoll 222 - and 1965 Case 530ck (fullsize backhoe)