anyone looking to upgrade their L series snow caster to later?

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
ras101 United States of America

anyone looking to upgrade their L series snow caster to later?

Post by ras101 »

So, If you are like me looking to tame the chain then you will need to be able to adjust the chain without giving up the distance between housing and auger. We all know that the SB caster had a method to adjust the rear jack shaft to take up chain slack by moving the bearing assembly. This method used a 3/8" flat head (spade) bolt that is NLA. Found a couple of sources, all with just round holes rather than the square holed case/ingersoll version and most were smaller threads too. Went on Ebay the other day and found a limited source for 3/8 spade bolts, again with round holes and longer than needed and short thread lengths to. Bought a pack (10) and think/know that they can easily be re-threaded and cut to the length required.Only limited supplies so get them while you can...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125840864697
Harry United States of America

Re: anyone looking to upgrade their L series snow caster to later?

Post by Harry »

Take a piece of 3/8” all thread and put a BFH to one end and flatten it. Drill a hole on the flatten end then file the round hole so it’s square. :peace: Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
ras101 United States of America

Re: anyone looking to upgrade their L series snow caster to later?

Post by ras101 »

Got that Harry.. just want to go a little further. I now have several 3/8 x 16 by 4 1/8 long spade bolts! looking at the bolt it's a very easy convert to the exact size to our needs for snow caster upgrade! I* intend to start working on this soon So where do we go now? My first action will be to convert my NTM (new to me) Spade bits to the right size so follow me here guys.. Remember that these parts are NYA from our trusted Case/Ingersoll dealers!