Well Of Course...

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
myerslawnandgarden United States of America

Re: Well Of Course...

Post by myerslawnandgarden »

JSinMO wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:33 pm That’s good progress on the troubleshooting! I just saw a video today of a guy that had intermittent trouble in his ignition system. In his case it turned out to be the ignition switch intermittently going to ground due to a loose connection.
It probably wouldn’t be a bad idea to check the wires or just replace them.
Looking forward to what you find. :thumbsup:
You may wish to just run a jumper wire from the battery + to the coil + to eliminate any electric issue in the tractor wiring system.

Bob
Toolslinger United States of America

Post by Toolslinger »

I still don't know what the issue is. Or was, other than ignition. It was a beautiful day, and I didn't feel like I wanted to spend all day on it, so I simply replaced everything. Points, Condenser, Coil. All either Kohler, or Echlin from Napa, so no question they should be solid. While I was right there, I cut in a fuel filter that I should have years ago. Cleaned the points push rod, but it was already moving smoothly, so no issue there. It fired right up, and sat happily for a minute, then I pulled it out, put it in high and ran it around, up the hill, full bore, down the hill full speed, back up, back down. Didn't die. I did hear it miss a couple times, but it didn't slow, or bog down.

I'm calling it done.

Got the new snowcaster hooked up. Runs smoothly. I need to check the clearance of the auger, but I believeI'm ready for the winter with it. I'll run it around a few more times, and then the JD140 will get listed for sale, and I'll get a little space back...
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Toolslinger wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:59 pm I still don't know what the issue is. Or was, other than ignition. It was a beautiful day, and I didn't feel like I wanted to spend all day on it, so I simply replaced everything. Points, Condenser, Coil. All either Kohler, or Echlin from Napa, so no question they should be solid. While I was right there, I cut in a fuel filter that I should have years ago. Cleaned the points push rod, but it was already moving smoothly, so no issue there. It fired right up, and sat happily for a minute, then I pulled it out, put it in high and ran it around, up the hill, full bore, down the hill full speed, back up, back down. Didn't die. I did hear it miss a couple times, but it didn't slow, or bog down.

I'm calling it done.

Got the new snowcaster hooked up. Runs smoothly. I need to check the clearance of the auger, but I believeI'm ready for the winter with it. I'll run it around a few more times, and then the JD140 will get listed for sale, and I'll get a little space back...
Sometimes when time and ambition does not support diag. time . A hand full of darts at the board all at once , something is bound to score a win . Glad it is working properly again .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

I’d say that’s a win! :thumbsup: Glad it up and running.
Could have been any one of those items now you don’t have to worry about it!
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

I thought earlier in the thread, why not just replace those few parts if you already have them? While I can appreciate the idea of doing step at a time troubleshooting, if it's cheap enough I choose to just replace parts. Glad to see you did and the issue is fixed. :thumbsup:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush: