I know I have asked before...but?

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
ras101 United States of America

I know I have asked before...but?

Post by ras101 »

I have my snow caster in parts and most of the metal cleaned to bare ready for repaint (don't worry I have pics to share when I start rebuild). Obviously completely destroyed my S/N plate! I did buy a decal set from Hunter Maple though with a S/N template and also a Stamp Kit from Staples too. So my intent is to re-stamp the info. Has anyone else taken that approach and can recommend a stamp ink that can last? or should I be looking elsewhere?

Ray
DavidBarkey Canada

Re: I know I have asked before...but?

Post by DavidBarkey »

ras101 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:07 am I have my snow caster in parts and most of the metal cleaned to bare ready for repaint (don't worry I have pics to share when I start rebuild). Obviously completely destroyed my S/N plate! I did buy a decal set from Hunter Maple though with a S/N template and also a Stamp Kit from Staples too. So my intent is to re-stamp the info. Has anyone else taken that approach and can recommend a stamp ink that can last? or should I be looking elsewhere?

Ray
Any black perminent ink should work . If you put "3M Clear Paint Protection Vinyl Film" over it . It is availible in many sizes online. You can also use it where your feet will rub painted surfaces to keep it looking nice longer . I will be putting it on the AC for dad in the high wear areas . Like the top of the frame where you slide your feet over getting on and off , where hood rub on the other panels, ect.
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder

Post by ras101 »

Thanks Dave. Never seen that before and already ordered some. Still seems strange though that we can't replace the self adhesive labels applied to our GT's. I think everyone here would love to find a supplier that could provide plates rather than labels? or frankly a new self adhesive label for me that is the case. To get a "plate" that is unique to my tractor/accessory such as a mower deck/snow caster, etc.. heaven.. Anyone out there that needs a line of income now's your chance here.. I know I am not the only one..
thebuildist United States of America

Post by thebuildist »

It's possible, not easy, to silk-screen print these kinds of tags at home:

https://www.casecoltingersoll.com/threa ... 448.93400/

To create the mask for a very small/intricate design, you need a higher end inkjet printer.

For simpler, larger designs, you can cut out the mask with a Cricut.

I'd judge that these types of tags are better suited for the inkjet printing. Which I'm not equipped to do.

But I'm tempted to try cutting one with my Cricut and see how close it can get.

I'd like to take a swing at duplicating this exact tag:
https://www.casecoltingersoll.com/attac ... jpg.81506/

Anybody know the precise overall outer dimensions of it?

Bob
"Never be afraid to try something new. How hard can it be?"
Toolslinger United States of America

Post by Toolslinger »

Never been that much of a purist to care about the tag, as long as I could get a SN off it... But I did just have a though on making them...

I could imagine getting black anodized plates, and then milling them to expose the aluminum. The engraving is easy at that point. The only down side is the internal corners can't be perfectly square. I mean I can get end mills down to .001 diameter, and that's going to be square enough, but the machine I run doesn't have enough spindle speed to run a cutter that small. I've run .06 cutters without real issue, so I imagine I can go smaller, but the SFM (surface feet per minute at the cutting edge) starts dropping off real quick, so I don't know how low I could go with the 12k spindle I have... There are plenty of shops out there that have higher RPM spindles though that could do it. Have to be decorative anodizing. If it was a hard anodize, it would absolutely murder the cutters. Decorative would be fine for this. Probably as durable at least as the screen print. Probably need to be a little thicker than the original tags as I don't know how I'd really hold it without it flexing, and screwing up the depth of cut.

I've got some scrap parts I will have to take a look at playing with. They're blue, but it's the right kind of anodize. I think I might have an .032 cutter.

Post by ras101 »

From my L84 label it 3 1/4" x 1 1/2".