Well, it's back... For now.

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
Toolslinger United States of America

Well, it's back... For now.

Post by Toolslinger »

Yesterday (Monday) was kinda a sketchy day weather wise. I also couldn't really start a big new project as I leave for work at 3am Tuesdays, and that means early to bed, and such. I try to just do catchup things on Mondays. As leaf season is quickly approaching, I knew I really wanted to use the 444 to pull the Trac Vac around. I used my 1984 Honda TRX200 last year, and while that's a very reliable horse of a quad, it really isn't geared right for that project. Plus the rear tires are about shot/bald, and that sucks in the damp with leaves.

I tried starting the 444 a couple years ago, and it just wouldn't go. Clearly, I don't use it for much, and since life was crazy, I just let it sit there. It was living in the barn basement, which isn't a good location for small engines, due to it tending to stay damp, or downright wet at certian times of the year. I knew it had to be ignition, but it was dark, and I was frustrated already.

So, yesterday, I decided I should at least get it upstairs, where it is dry, and it would be in the way, forcing me to work on it. Happily, all the tires had air, and the Gator pulled it up to the uppser level happily. Battery was dead, which is disappointing since I do rotate chargers around everything, even when they're not running. Won't take a charge, so that's toast. Stole a battery from a 646. Turned the key, and the lights work, so progress...

I preemptivly put my spark checker in the circuit. Turned the key, and let the electric fuel pump run a bit. (electric fuel pumps were the best thing I've done to my tractors) Turned to start, and to my shock, it fired right off. For about 6 seconds. And then died.

I had seen spark, so I figured I was ok. (I had already cleaned the points) So pull the carb, figuring that was the most likely issue. Boy was that thing a mess. The carb wasn't in great shape last time I went through it, but it's really getting gnarly in there now. I fear I will want to replace it soon as the corrosion is to the point I know it will keep causing issues. But, cleaned it up, and put it back in. Turn the key, and nothing... No spark. WTH, I just had spark...

Long story short (too late)... The coil went. It had just enough life in it to fire the first time, and then burned out.
So, what could be easier tha picking up a coil? I'm in an area with countless old tractors, and every barn has at least one antique car or truck... NAPA to the rescue...

Wrong.

Apparently, my NAPA which was an outstanding store, ain't what it used to be. The guy just had a blank look on his face when I dropped the coil on the counter. Then he dove in to the computer (that should have been a bigger red flag)... He then tells me that not only do they not have ANY coils in the building, but that the computer only lists a coil that requires an external resistor.
OK... I know NAPA has more coils available than that, and I flat out know there was one back on the shelves... I wasn't going to have that arguement though... I just headed back, stopped at the Advance, where I figured I'd get additionally frustrated by them asking for the VIN, only to be pleasently surprised that the guy behind the counter knew what a coil was, and promptly went in the back, and brought one each of the 3 coils they had multiples of for me to check out. My choice was Red, Red, or Yellow... I chose Yellow. No idea what the brand was, but it looked right, so why not. Tractor will probably go faster with that sporty yellow coil....

Back home, bolted it on, and connected it up.

Turned the key, and we have ignition!... Fired right up, ran nice, and after a minute or two, sat happily at low idle, not seeming to care about the 2+ year old fuel. I think it was happy to be out of the basement, and decided to put on a good show. Probably won't start in a couple weeks, but for the moment, all was right. Backed it over to the second barn bay, and hooked it up to the Trac Vac. That is going to be a very nice combination I believe. Don't have a whole lot more use for it than that unless I have to set posts with the auger, but at least she's running again.
RoamingGnome Canada

Re: Well, it's back... For now.

Post by RoamingGnome »

Thanks @Toolslinger For sharing your adventures breathing life into a dead 444, It's inspiring and reminds me not to get too wrapped up in all the other stuff going on around me and to spend a bit of quality time (when I have the chance) and to try breathing a bit of life into my trio of non-running Case GT's... back to :coffee: and making some plans for the day... :writing:
Gerry
'68 Case 195, '84 Case 446, '88 Ingersoll 222 - and 1965 Case 530ck (fullsize backhoe)
thebuildist United States of America

Post by thebuildist »

Well...

This may not be the best place to tell the world how you abused a vulnerable 444 by locking her in a wet basement with no love and no runtime for 2 full years...
(I'll have a word with the site moderator and see if he'll let you stay) :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

But seriously, great story. Sometimes I put things off, put them to the back of my mind. And while they're back there, they often grow, into bigger, thornier "problems" than they really are. And a lot of times, it ends like this story. "It was a bit of a pain, had to clean a carb and make a run a parts store (or two). But not that bad!

And it sounds like the old girl really wants to stay in your good graces!

Maybe park the Deere's and Cadets and MTD's in the dank, slimy basement from now on? :cool: :cool: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Bob
"Never be afraid to try something new. How hard can it be?"
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

Nice ramble Toolslinger. Thanks for sharing your story. :wave: :peace: Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Good story! -- and you guys are funny! :rofl:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E