446 winter tractor repair

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
Harry United States of America

446 winter tractor repair

Post by Harry »

Today I pulled the snow caster off the 446 and started to disassemble the front of the tractor. I was having an issue with the starter and wanted to get it apart so I could see what was going on. Starter was grinding on the flywheel and today with most everything off that I need off, I see the starter drive bushing is worn out. While the snow caster is off I’m going to check it over with a few upgrades like a larger sprocket for the drive, new chain and chain tensioner. Hopefully get this all accomplished between a couple of vacations. :peace: Harry
Attachments
Starter drive bushing worn out
Starter drive bushing worn out
Down to only the flywheel and starter to take off.
Down to only the flywheel and starter to take off.
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
ras101 United States of America

Re: 446 winter tractor repair

Post by ras101 »

Harry, interesting project, especially your planned upgrades of the caster.. I'm currently working on one of mine, an L46 but going even further with a complete strip down to base metal and new paint job too. Enjoy...

Post by Harry »

I finally got to work in the shop yesterday. :thumbsup: I made my own center pivot for the front axle. I didn’t have any 1.5” round bar stock, so I went to the local Metal Supermarket and purchased a foot of 1.5” CRS. The cut a small piece of it in my bandsaw. Chucked it in the lathe and bored a hole through the middle. Faced it off so it was slightly smaller than the distance between the frame supports that hold the axle. I used some heavy washers and tacked welded them together for the ends of the grade eight bolt. I didn’t have any 2” bar stock to make washers and the Supermarket didn’t have any either. Assembled it and tightened the bolt just enough to so there was a little drag in the axle, no side movement noticed now. Also while the front axle was apart I installed doorman’s power steering needle bearings and washers. I started to work on installing different tires on the rims, but dinner time came and the grands were coming over to watch a movie. I was happy with the progress made. More to come with tire installation. :peace: Harry
Attachments
1.5” bar stock
1.5” bar stock
Bored hole through the center
Bored hole through the center
Faced off bar-stock to size
Faced off bar-stock to size
Installed center pivot
Installed center pivot
Needle bearings
Needle bearings
Greased and ready to install.
Greased and ready to install.
Spindles installed.
Spindles installed.

Post by Harry »

Today I mounted the new to me tires. They were off a Craftsman walk behind snowblower that had a blown engine and was scrapped. The tires were on rims but I couldn’t get the rims on a small tire removal machine I purchased from HF. They had a piece of an axle rusted into them. I fired up the plasma and cut the rims. Took off the original tires from my 1976 446. Boy were they are PITA to remove. Then dismounted the snowblower tires and put them on the Case front rims. Easy to do with the tire machine. Greased the cleaned wheel bearings with a needle on my grease gun then installed them in the rims. The bearings had no inner seal so I added grease through the grease fitting on the rims. Old tires would slide in snow when trying to turn. These tires on front of 446 should make a big difference. Now on to checking out the caster before installing on GT. :peace: Harry
Attachments
Hubs cut out of snowblower rims.
Hubs cut out of snowblower rims.
Mini tire machine from HF
Mini tire machine from HF
Old original front Case tires
Old original front Case tires
Craftsman tire size
Craftsman tire size
Craftsman tire mounted on Case rims
Craftsman tire mounted on Case rims
Grease gun mounted in vise
Grease gun mounted in vise
Needle greasing bearings
Needle greasing bearings
Needle fits between bearing balls
Needle fits between bearing balls
Bearings cleaned in solvent tank
Bearings cleaned in solvent tank
Needle
Needle
Needle packaging
Needle packaging
Tires mounted and installed on spindles
Tires mounted and installed on spindles
Tires on machine
Tires on machine
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

Nicely done Harry! I like the look of that aggressive tread.
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Interested in your reveiw this winter on how they work for steering . No question they are a great drive tire .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

@Harry it's a pleasure to follow your work! :cheers:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:

Post by Harry »

Blower housing inspection cover to the rescue. I went to my shop this morning and with the weather guesser predicting rain snow mix moving in I decided it would be a good time to load up the wood rack in the shop. After doing so my arms and hands needed a break. :coffee: Then I thought I would finish bolting on the few guards and bolt on the exhaust pipes for the Onan. I had not put the rubber air flow connection between the blower housing and the air cleaner. In a second a wrench slipped out of my hand and into the round opening of the blower housing. I looked into the hole and could see no wrench. I didn’t see it on the engine and I knew it didn’t hit the floor. I removed the inspection cover that I just fabricated and I could see the wrench. With needle nose pliers I removed the wrench. The oil filter hole is to far back to see or remove the wrench. So had I not fabricated this opening I would of had to remove everything that I just assembled a few days ago. Now there is a ramble for you all. :peace: Harry
Attachments
Wrench between flywheel and blower screen.
Wrench between flywheel and blower screen.
The culprit
The culprit
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

I see your luck is like mine! If there is a spot that is seemingly impossible for something to drop into, that’s were the wrench, socket, etc will end up! Glad you didn’t have to take it all apart.
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

That sort of thing happens to me quite often when working on the truck. The frustration has been minimized since i bought a couple of those telescoping magnetic wands. Fishing around with that even for minutes, beats taking anything apart. :wave2:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush: