In need of a CCKA short block.

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
Spike188 Canada

Re: In need of a CCKA short block.

Post by Spike188 »

@myerslawnandgarden Bob, Thank you for the follow up. A number of years ago I rebuilt a Case 630 with a gas engine. That adventure broke all trust in online searches. Several scammers tried reaching out to sell parts that they didn't own or have. Bill at Barneveld was able to put me in touch with a farm tractor rebuilder as a good source for parts.

Once again, Thank you for speaking up.

Spike
Spike Colt - 9 & 10, Case - 108, 118, 444, 446, 448, 646, 646bh, Ingersoll 4016, 4118AH
myerslawnandgarden United States of America

Post by myerslawnandgarden »

As of today with the proof from the post office that the 4 oz package was not addressed to our address, PayPal support did issue a full refund and without commenting too much on the seller it appears that there were previous notes on the account that allowed them to refund the purchase immediately rather than doing their usual investigation. Ironically, in checking the transaction on my PayPal account later today, the seller added another tracking number which supposedly was delivered today (NOT), this time being shipped from Utah. Sneaky little buggers indeed.

Bob
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Yay! :highfive:

Glad this had a happy ending for you.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

Good out come. :thumbsup: Bob
Those dirty buggers work harder at stealing our money than we work on our tractors. :124:
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
CaseIngersollNE United States of America

Post by CaseIngersollNE »

Well Bob as we have talk in depth about this on the phone I too appreciate you "taking one for the team" as I was hours away from pulling the trigger too before you told me you did lol. And then "when" we got our first $250 engine (LMAO...) I was already mentally trying to figure out where the heck I was going to store my first dozen lol.... Glad you got your money back my friend lol PS thanks for the link to this site!
This CCK here is more legit lol :j posting.php?mode=reply&f=4&t=1587#
metalguy United States of America

Post by metalguy »

Well, I found an OLD CCK that used to be on welder duty. It doesn't have provisions for an oil filter, or a starter! Can it be converted using parts from the original CCKA that is in the 646? I figure that flyball count will be different, but that is swappable from what I have read. But...what about the lack of starter? Is the starter mounted to the oil pan on the original? Interesting, and odd engine. It has what appears to be a magneto setup for the ignition, instead of a coil? Very odd, indeed!------Metalguy
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

metalguy wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:13 pm Well, I found an OLD CCK that used to be on welder duty. It doesn't have provisions for an oil filter, or a starter! Can it be converted using parts from the original CCKA that is in the 646? I figure that flyball count will be different, but that is swappable from what I have read. But...what about the lack of starter? Is the starter mounted to the oil pan on the original? Interesting, and odd engine. It has what appears to be a magneto setup for the ignition, instead of a coil? Very odd, indeed!------Metalguy
pictures of ignition parts please . You need a engine rebuild gasket kit , change governor balls to 5 . use only the short block and transfer all you parts over from the dead engine . You should be able to take the oil filter bypass plate of and use the oil filter adapter from old engine . You may need to to swap heads as well . This is the time to do the valves ect. while it is torn down .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder

Post by metalguy »

Here are pics of the ignition system. Looks similar to old B+S magneto set ups, just two plug wires.
Attachments
Magnet on flywheel
Magnet on flywheel
Two plug setup
Two plug setup
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

You said it has points , that would be to time the ignition . That being said , what I would do is pull the timing cover and oil pan off the old engine and make sure they will fit this block . So far I have not found where they won't fit as long as they were all "small block" which you have but never worked with a block that old before . If they fit . I would use the ignition system , oil pan and pickup, timing cover , stator , flywheel ,starter, and anything else you can transfer . Get a low oil pressure switch for an older chevy and make an "idiot light" up , they turn on below 7 lbs and are the same thread (1/8" npt).
My to cents , you make keep the change.
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder

Post by metalguy »

The magneto set up had to go, and I put on the ignition from the original engine. I checked, and it has the correct flyball count, so no need to change that. I installed the original oil sender in the threaded hole in the block. Everything from the old block was easily transferred except the oil filter, as this block has no provisions for it. I have the starter, ring gear, sump, etc installed after they all received a good cleaning, and some paint touch up. Valves adjusted, heads decarboned, etc. I still need to taper the lovejoy to fit the crank, but that will be easy. While the engine was out, I wanted to see if the hydraulics were any good, so I put a socket over the input shaft on the pump, and used a drill to turn it, while running various hydraulics. Pretty happy to see that they all function, and that the pump works, even at a lower RPM, as my drill is a large, slow drill. 3 point, loader, bucket belly cyl. all function. I didn't try the TCV, as it is on a lift, and I'd like it to stay there, LOL. Hoping to fire up this engine by end of week. I now have to fix the original muffler, as the P.O. really did an interesting job on modding it! -------Metalguy