Easy read manuals, etc...

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
ras101 United States of America

Easy read manuals, etc...

Post by ras101 »

So lets do a poll here guys. If you have not looked at the E-Z Clutch(PTO) manual I posted you might want to now. Am I the only one that needs help with my GT's? Having "how to" guides that identify (I like color) the items I am working on clutch, engine, wheels, whatever and giving detailed information on how to fix, change, update, etc. is what I am looking for. If you are like me there are too other distractions in our world right now. I know I need to change the oil, my PTO does not work and what do I need to do, you know the rest, right...

How do we, as a team fix that?

What do you guys need?

For me I want "Fix it guides"

What about you?
Eugen Canada

Re: Easy read manuals, etc...

Post by Eugen »

ras101 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 5:02 pm
For me I want "Fix it guides"

What about you?
Sure it would be nice but it takes a special talent to make how to docs. As you have seen from my fixing threads, I'm not exactly good at it. People barely post on this site a few comments, I honestly have a hard time seeing anyone writing guides. 🤷‍♂️
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Spike188 Canada

Post by Spike188 »

One of my first tractor overhauls was an 1850 Oliver with a 354 ci Perkins engine. The setting was very much like @Eugen is doing on his 680E, except our tools for measurement was news print which was considered to be 0.020" at that time, around 1970, plastigage, and feeler gauges. The shop manual was either an I&T or Hynes.
That would have made me 15 or 16 at that time. Splitting the tractor was not a big issue, just take all of the bolts, lines, electrical loose and anything that looked to be in the way. Eventually it separated exposing the flywheel and clutch.

I am not sure why removing the flywheel was an issue because by that time 6 cylinder three speed Chevy pickup clutches were old hat. Burning cat eyes and laying rubber took its toll on first , reverse, and clutches. At 14 we knew the drill, Dad would say you were driving it when it broke, you fix it.
image.png
Back to the Oliver flywheel. The page in the manual for disassembly said ....."it is obvious."

That manual breaks with the 6 Sigma philosophy that if it is in writing anyone can be taught to do the job. With 67 years experience, I will vouch that this idea gets more wannabes in trouble because translation of the written word to skill sets is not a given.

I have written food processing manuals and step by step verification forms in meat canning plants. The biggest learning curve in writing the forms was how to build it in a way that the person filling out the form did not make side notes on how to fill it out. There would always be an outlier that would need special help with the form.

:creeper: PS. I really am able to get under my 400 series Case tractors on a creeper with a adjustable wrench that big. That is my rant for the day.
Spike Colt - 9 & 10, Case - 108, 118, 444, 446, 448, 646, 646bh, Ingersoll 4016, 4118AH
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

@Spike188 , in my humble opinion this is a great ramble which I have enjoyed a lot! :thumbsup:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

When ever I need to fix or repair something Case related, I just find the manual and print the pages I need. The last time I needed to adjust the EZ clutch I just read the manual and it was simple. I usually store the printed pages in a filing cabinet sorted by tractor, for reference at a later date. It works for me. :peace: Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226