so I'm not an idiot!

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
ras101 United States of America

so I'm not an idiot!

Post by ras101 »

Might be getting old but I am not about to be made an idiot either! Just complied a list of purchases from SalemPwr for over $200 for my ongoing updates this year. When I went to cash out I was offered two shipment methods - the cheapest was over $70! this was totally unacceptable by any means. I guess its my last purchase from Brian unless he changes his stance on things. Was I wanting a one day turn around? -NO), would a week have been alright - not even offered. All I know is that a 40+ shipping "bonus" will not work for me and I suspect many others here to I will not be completing my order and will obviously be looking elsewhere. Sorry Brian!
dhitching United States of America

Re: so I'm not an idiot!

Post by dhitching »

Not to be that guy, but I'm not sure your title is accurate... :))

Brian (or any other dealer) doesn't pick the prices that UPS / FedEx / USPS use for shipping, they don't benefit if shipping is expensive. Take a look at your cart, there might be something overly large or overly heavy that's causing the high price you're seeing.

Did you try calling Brian and asking for more info on the shipping charge? Maybe there's a mistake on the shipping calculator side of things. :106:

In general the dealers are problem solvers and happy to help you, no need to make forum posts about the price of shipping in 2023 and blame it on a dealer personally... :25:
6018, 6018LBH, 4020, 4120, 446, and whatever other tractor I just impulse bought

Post by ras101 »

please know that I don't call out suppliers unless there is a problem! never have, never will. I have bought everything that I have ordered before with little concern till now. Yes, I know shipping prices are through the roof too. My complain has more to do with OPTIONS. My options were basically one or two day service that I also know could be expensive. For me a week or even two might have worked but not even given that option. Just know, for me there are other suppliers out there that can offer the same parts and where shipping is also reasonable. Please don't get me wrong I have used SalemPwr (Brian) before with great success but this time he has failed my needs.
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

I don't know if distance makes a difference but why not try a dealer closer to you? Bob @myerslawnandgarden has always been good at finding the most economical way of shipping, even for the lowly Canadians. :D
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:

Post by ras101 »

Eugen, I have never, ever had a problem with shipping till now. I mean never! when the shipping charge amounts to half the order value though I start to wonder why... The only thing that I ordered that could remotely affect pricing would have been the 48" long edge to my snow blower. Everything else fits into a small $7 box for next day delivery. If I was in the middle of the Atlantic I might consider the charges but in WNY no way!..

Just so you know Eugen. Till now Brian has been one of my go_to provider of Case?Ingersoll parts - I mean the first or second provider. I was more than upprised than anyone at the postal charge. I know shipping costs are high but well this is unreasonable. Getting to the point that I might as well drive there than get shipped. BTW, Brian lives and operates two states over from me!
dhitching United States of America

Post by dhitching »

ras101 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:13 pm Eugen, I have never, ever had a problem with shipping till now. I mean never! when the shipping charge amounts to half the order value though I start to wonder why... The only thing that I ordered that could remotely affect pricing would have been the 48" long edge to my snow blower. Everything else fits into a small $7 box for next day delivery. If I was in the middle of the Atlantic I might consider the charges but in WNY no way!..
Sounds like you should call Brian then. Many of the items ship direct from Ingersoll which may impact shipping costs. Calling and asking if there's a way to optimize the shipping costs is going to get you a lot further than making forum posts. :call:
6018, 6018LBH, 4020, 4120, 446, and whatever other tractor I just impulse bought
myerslawnandgarden United States of America

Post by myerslawnandgarden »

Regarding shipping charges, dimensional weight has had a big effect on shipping rates since most of the major carriers have gone to it. Sometimes the charge can be avoided by careful packaging, but for instance in the case of a 48" wear edge there is no way to change the length! I ran the difference in cost from our location to New York for a 5 lb package by Priority Mail. For a standard size shipment the cost was $14.05, at 48" long the shipping cost increased to $29.05. I'll have to say that at this point we lose some money on certain packages and make it up bit by bit on others simply because our website isn't sophisticated enough to calculate accurately the dimensions on all of the sku's that we offer. And then when you combine multiple items, well you get the idea. As far as shipping, my hope is to break even in the long run and to be as fair as possible to everyone in the process.

May be my first ramble,

Bob
bhildret United States of America

Post by bhildret »

RAS101, please send me an eMail at salempwr@aol.com.

Please include a list of items on your order and quantities.

We cannot presently see an abandoned shopping cart or incomplete order that seems related to you.

We try to keep our shipping costs very tight and most Case/Ingersoll parcels go out for under $15.

However, since the US Postal Service incorporated dimensional shipment requirements (not just weight), we have found that some orders with a high quantity of parts get out of hand in our shipping calculator. We have been correcting part dimensions steadily since, but perhaps you've found another problem dimension in our database.

I suspect you are right in your judgement of the quoted shipping cost ... happy to review and correct accordingly.

Brian Hildreth
President
Salem Power Equipment, LLC
Plymouth, MI 48170
734-649-1781

www.salempwr.com

Post by bhildret »

So I was able to do a little deeper digging ... was this your draft order?

Products In Cart
1 x C17776 } BLADE 48"

4 x C20053 } BUSHING

2 x C15096 } BUSHING

1 x C26326 } SHAFT

1 x C27593 } BUSHING

2 x C44383 } WASHER

1 x C30942 } REFLECTOR

1 x 103289 } TENSIONER

1 x 103291 } SPRING

Brian

Post by bhildret »

If so ... we found the offending dimesion.

Of course this starts with the 48" long snow caster edge, which is now a bit expensive to ship all alone.

However within this group of parts remained one old dimesion ... which when combined with all these others, triggered an oversize parcel. That item has been corrected.

That basket to an appropriate zip code now calculated US Priority mail at $31.81 ... just a bit more than the edge blade all by itself.

Sorry for the troubles ...

Brian