lets talk EZ PTO clutch

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
ras101 United States of America

lets talk EZ PTO clutch

Post by ras101 »

Just ordered a new friction disk for my PTO. Do I really need it -- frankly right now I don't know! For me it's just going with the flow and above all else making sure I have parts into the future too. So still stripping my 1977 446 for parts and scrap before I start work on my 1979 but more important 1985, and 1986 446. Need to start the updates to these too to start the winter season. Ordered a lot of new parts from Brian and SalemPwr but also Bob at casetractorparts too. Want to support all our dealers - don't you? I have a number of projects this year, some involve snowblower and many to the GT itself too. As I really get started I will update my threads on this but hope you guys do the same as I am always looking for additional info..
Last edited by ras101 on Sun Jul 23, 2023 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eugen Canada

Re: lets talk EZ PTO clutch

Post by Eugen »

I could probably use a couple of friction disks myself. :thumbsup:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
ssmewing United States of America

Post by ssmewing »

I have a pretty popular Youtube video posted and the clutch and what each part does.

If you gave me all the parts of the assembly in a tray you could blindfold me and I would still be able to re-install the parts and get the adjustment perfect. So, I guess you could say that I agree with the name EZ-Clutch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEr3lLbluzc&t=12s

Post by ssmewing »

When you rebuild the EZ-Clutch the friction disk is replaced after inspection.

There are other parts that you replace without looking first. There are 3 bearings to replace and the 6 wavy washers. The bearings just get old and the grease dries out in them just like deck bearings. They also make the same noise. If you are servicing your clutch I think we can assume it was not staying engaged and it also likely slipped some. The wavy washers are spring steel and heat reduces the springiness. Then it is a double hit to your way too old bearings.

If you have a Kohler engine and the shaft is no longer smooth, then that needs to be resleeved. Bill at Barneveld Implements has them in stock if you do not have a source for them. The Onan clutch shaft only gets wrecked usually if you let the bearings go bad first because that engine runs so smoothly.

If you do replace the friction disk and would like to only have to do it once per machine, you must follow the directions. That means the torque spec must be used to squeeze the disk. To get away with using the oven in the house just use brake cleaner to remove all oil residue. Clean steel bakes without an odor.

Post by ras101 »

Just got the clutch disk from SalemPwr and I also ordered 4" square 1/4 steel 5x5 steel also. My aim is to totally refurbish my PTO. Yeah new bearings, clutch, etc. probably new fork and definitely new bushes. I want to do this once! not into just replacing current worn out parts but want life into the future too.

For me life starts at least 10 years out.... I know when I upgrade utilities in my house my first requirement is not cost but life expectancy and secondly cost of ownership before initial cost. Yeah, you got it right, math major! Cost/Life expectancy/ running cost all play into my decision to spend money besides ease of use, etc.. and yes these also play a role too.

My new to me 1986 446 has a PTO problem for sure (not even checked that out right now though)but right now, although I have a deck and snow blower as part of the deal never installed either. I sense but know that I will have PTO issue (never told by the seller though). Not even going to bother finding out either! Surprised?
The GT has everything I was looking for and expected! My aim though is to improve to the level I personalty need to use this GT. My property slopes to the road and my main concern was "does it have a holding valve? rather that operation.

My first requirement though before even starting work on this project is a place to do it. My garage is used 24/7 for our cars (my wife and I) and yes I know we are strange but also European too and a little storage. Yes I have a shed but that has a lot of well just "stuff" too.I am thinking temporary storage! Not sure of your bi-laws in your area of the country are the same as mine (WNY) but mine are pity strict about buildings and require plans/drawings/ taxes, etc. Decided on a temporary building but one that will stand between seasons and hopefully a few years. Looking at a 10x10 temporary shed . I ahve looked at sheds from Harbor Freight - anyone seen better?

Want to order in the next couple of days..
myerslawnandgarden United States of America

Post by myerslawnandgarden »

ras101 wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:52 pm Just got the clutch disk from SalemPwr and I also ordered 4" square 1/4 steel 5x5 steel also. My aim is to totally refurbish my PTO. Yeah new bearings, clutch, etc. probably new fork and definitely new bushes. I want to do this once! not into just replacing current worn out parts but want life into the future too.

For me life starts at least 10 years out.... I know when I upgrade utilities in my house my first requirement is not cost but life expectancy and secondly cost of ownership before initial cost. Yeah, you got it right, math major! Cost/Life expectancy/ running cost all play into my decision to spend money besides ease of use, etc.. and yes these also play a role too.

My new to me 1986 446 has a PTO problem for sure (not even checked that out right now though)but right now, although I have a deck and snow blower as part of the deal never installed either. I sense but know that I will have PTO issue (never told by the seller though). Not even going to bother finding out either! Surprised?
The GT has everything I was looking for and expected! My aim though is to improve to the level I personalty need to use this GT. My property slopes to the road and my main concern was "does it have a holding valve? rather that operation.

My first requirement though before even starting work on this project is a place to do it. My garage is used 24/7 for our cars (my wife and I) and yes I know we are strange but also European too and a little storage. Yes I have a shed but that has a lot of well just "stuff" too.I am thinking temporary storage! Not sure of your bi-laws in your area of the country are the same as mine (WNY) but mine are pity strict about buildings and require plans/drawings/ taxes, etc. Decided on a temporary building but one that will stand between seasons and hopefully a few years. Looking at a 10x10 temporary shed . I ahve looked at sheds from Harbor Freight - anyone seen better?

You will find that 1/4" steel plate is a little light to fab a clamping fixture from, I started with that but it would not stay flat with the torque spec provided. Also, the instructions recommend a 1/2" bolt. Grade 8 may work but I also found that a grade 5 would not withstand the 80 ft lbs of torque recommended so went to 5/8. Perhaps 1/2-20 SAE would work?

Bob

Post by ssmewing »

myerslawnandgarden wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:12 pm
ras101 wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:52 pm Just got the clutch disk from SalemPwr and I also ordered 4" square 1/4 steel 5x5 steel also. My aim is to totally refurbish my PTO. Yeah new bearings, clutch, etc. probably new fork and definitely new bushes. I want to do this once! not into just replacing current worn out parts but want life into the future too.

You will find that 1/4" steel plate is a little light to fab a clamping fixture from, I started with that but it would not stay flat with the torque spec provided. Also, the instructions recommend a 1/2" bolt. Grade 8 may work but I also found that a grade 5 would not withstand the 80 ft lbs of torque recommended so went to 5/8. Perhaps 1/2-20 SAE would work?

Bob
Yes, the fine-threaded bolt does work way better. You get to sneak up to the torque spec with the fine-threaded bolt. I also think there are dealers or a dealer that will sell you a swapped pulley with the new friction disk already installed. That doesn't do much good right now, though. I cannot remember who it was.

The same can be said for those front axle pins that use a bolt and 2 specially-made washers. Fine-threaded bolts and nuts are easier to tighten as you are taking a smaller bite on your way to the tightness you need.

Post by ras101 »

So I know we have an EZ clutch manual in the Tech Library but I came upon this one and like it better so I thought I would share.
Attachments
EZ Adjust Clutc…l, Complete.pdf
(364.93 KiB) Downloaded 131 times

Post by ssmewing »

ras101 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:07 am So I know we have an EZ clutch manual in the Tech Library but I came upon this one and like it better so I thought I would share.
That is a very nice manual! Thank you for sharing it ras101.

It appears to be a manual created by Ingersoll in the later years of the tractor's production.

I am going to add this one to my quick share folder that I have on my Chrome browser.
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

We have a tonne of manuals in the library here but unfortunately it's a bit hard to navigate.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush: