444 steering wheel

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
myerslawnandgarden United States of America

Re: 444 steering wheel

Post by myerslawnandgarden »

thebuildist wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:31 pm I'm not making a statement. I'm not at all saying you "should" or "shouldn't" want to replace the bushing.

I'm genuinely asking: what is your goal with the bushing, what would you like to accomplish?

Maybe we can help guide you to it.

Bob
I took it to mean the he wishes to replace the plastic flange bushing in the top of the steering column, which would require removal of the center hub of the original steering wheel that is still in place.

Bob
thebuildist United States of America

Post by thebuildist »

Oh, OK. I get it now.

In that case, I'm with David Barkey: It's a tapered keyway fit. Lot's of penetrating oil, original Liquid Wrench is the best affordable option,
and heat. You're trying to heat the knurled bushing itself, not the shaft.

If you have access to a bearing separator and a 2 or 4 jaw puller, you could drill a little dimple in the threaded portion, mount the bearing separator under the bushing, and clamp onto the separator with the puller. That would take it right off.

Bob
"Never be afraid to try something new. How hard can it be?"
myerslawnandgarden United States of America

Post by myerslawnandgarden »

Even with correct pullers, these come off extremely hard as it's a straight 5/8" shaft with a woodruff key, not a tapered shaft. Years of rust from water collecting under the center cap of the original steering wheel makes these almost impossible to pull. My best results have been by cutting the hub vertically as close to the shaft as possible thus splitting the hub. Preferably, making the cut right at the keyway is easiest.

Bob
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Since the plastic portion is off another thing that can help is heat from a propane torch.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Nut splitter/ crackers work as well for those that do not have the means to cut the bushing . But need to crack a couple of times down the length. Like Bob said , best done at the key way as it is thinner there .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
ckainMich United States of America

Post by ckainMich »

The upper bushing for the steering shaft is worn out or even gone... makes the shaft sloppy.
I hoped to install a new bushing.