Ignition keys

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
ras101 United States of America

Ignition keys

Post by ras101 »

I have four Case/Ingersoll GT's now and every one has the SAME key! Anyone else have the same problem with that as me? For one the keys are flimsy at best and well just so insecure too. On my original 1977 446 I swooped out the ignition switch for a generic from TSC but needed to open up the hole slightly. The keys were randomized so security was good. The only issue I had was the GT sat outside in the weather and the switch absorbed water and froze in the winter. Anyone got a better solution?
Eugen Canada

Re: Ignition keys

Post by Eugen »

Not sure if you're asking for a solution to the freezing in the winter or something else. I suppose spray it with deicer?

I installed an exact copy of the original ignition switch that was on my 644, which I got from amazon. It'll have the exact same problems as the original in the winter, but I have to say that mine never froze.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
RoamingGnome Canada

Post by RoamingGnome »

Welcome to the world of tractors! :lol: Every brand of construction equipment I've ever worked on uses one style key for pretty much all their equipment - 1 Caterpillar key will unlock anything CAT from backhoes to bulldozers, loaders or big haul trucks...
'68 Case 195, '84 Case 446, '88 Ingersoll 222 - and 1965 Case 530ck (fullsize backhoe)

Post by ras101 »

Hi Eugen, no not looking for a freeze solution but not saying that anyone that has one is not welcome to replay also. More looking at the security issue with our GT's. Some of us need to keep these outside under cover rather than in a secure garage/shop. For me I really am exploring if there is an alternate switch solution out there with unique/randomized keys. I know I could change totally to the TSC key solution with a minor hole upgrade and yeah they are cheap too at under $10 so just asking and looking for other members input.
keith Canada

Post by keith »

Ras, my experience on this issue is anything I put a key in be it ignitions, padlocks, truck caps/toppers that are exposed in the winter freeze solid. The best luck I've had is lube with motor oil in it in the summer when it's warm and it will flow deep into it. Have tried all kinds of products but this works for me. Another thing that would be good is to protect some how from the weather if possible. :cheers:
sorry ras, just read your last post I misunderstood
keith Canada

Post by keith »

Ras ,could you not add a switch in line under the hood in a place not in plain view? :cheers:
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

A couple of people will roll it nicely up the ramps onto the trailer and it's gone much quieter than starting it. I really don't see how a secure ignition switch will deter theft. In my opinion you're better off tagging it with one of those gps trackers. At least you can tell the cops where to get it from after it's gone.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E

Post by ras101 »

Eugen, what a great idea! even though i live in a very secure area with no through traffic i always worry when my gt is parked at the front of my property during the winter with the snow blower attached.Never thought about GPS tagging.. Easy and cheap too. Thank you!
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

ras101 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:22 pm Eugen, what I great idea! even though i live in a very secure area with no through traffic i always worry when my gt is parked at the front of my property during the winter with the snow blower attached.Never thought about GPS tagging.. Easy and cheap too. Thank you!
It came a lot down in price, here in Canada $120 for four Apple trackers, which is what I'd get myself, as I use mostly Apple devices, but I'm sure there are others. GPS trackers are also used on much more expensive equipment, like Bobcat. Because if somebody really wants to, they'll get your tractor, no matter what. But if you hide the tracker well, especially on cheaper equipment like our tractors, the thief will not think of searching for it.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E

Post by ras101 »

Seems that trackers are available even cheaper...
https://www.lightinthebox.com/en/p/mini ... ngshopping

Think I will order a couple, to try.