448 Hydraulic Work

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
thebuildist United States of America

Re: 448 Hydraulic Work

Post by thebuildist »

Man, she shore is PRETTY.

I've apparently been delinquent on several occasions, I've never bled mine before filling and running. And I've had it drained like 4 times.

I wonder if you removed the plug wire(s) and just cranked the starter through with the travel lever fully engaged... That seems like it would work the oil through pretty well.

But I've never even done that. Bad me.

Bob
"Never be afraid to try something new. How hard can it be?"
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

thebuildist wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:20 am Man, she shore is PRETTY.

I've apparently been delinquent on several occasions, I've never bled mine before filling and running. And I've had it drained like 4 times.

I wonder if you removed the plug wire(s) and just cranked the starter through with the travel lever fully engaged... That seems like it would work the oil through pretty well.

But I've never even done that. Bad me.

Bob
The cranking the starter method was the recommended procedure for the power steering system and was all did with the multiple drainings of the 4118.
I would have thought that holding valve would just take care of itself but I seem to remember running into some threads of issues with it trapping air. I don't remember for sure cause it wasn't what I was thinking about at the time. So I'm just going to try to follow the manual and hope for no more issues. And to not meet the gorilla that tightened them plugs in.
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
MattA United States of America

Post by MattA »

I recall reading on the old forum that the TCV was self bleeding. I tried bleeding it once to fix the fumpy travel control bit it didn't help (new linkage fixed the problem).

I used the crank the starter method to push the air out of my hydravac case drain line and then the hydravac. Worked well but the tractor fired up after a few seconds.

How does the new holding valve work?
Ingersoll 4016
myerslawnandgarden United States of America

Post by myerslawnandgarden »

MattA wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:48 pm I recall reading on the old forum that the TCV was self bleeding. I tried bleeding it once to fix the fumpy travel control bit it didn't help (new linkage fixed the problem).

I used the crank the starter method to push the air out of my hydravac case drain line and then the hydravac. Worked well but the tractor fired up after a few seconds.

The TCV will bleed itself, the procedure mentioned is for the external holding valve.

Bob
MattA United States of America

Post by MattA »

myerslawnandgarden wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:16 pm
MattA wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:48 pm I recall reading on the old forum that the TCV was self bleeding. I tried bleeding it once to fix the fumpy travel control bit it didn't help (new linkage fixed the problem).

:thumbsup:

The TCV will bleed itself, the procedure mentioned is for the external holding valve.

Bob
Ingersoll 4016

Post by Timj »

Got the selector valve mounted this afternoon and hooked up.
KIMG0887.JPG
Filled the system with 5w40 Rotella T6. Did the purge process. Put the wheel back on and took her for a spin. :446cart:
@MattA it works as it should, feels just like the Ingersoll, no more free wheeling. :thumbsup:
After supper got the engine oil changed, put some new headlight bulbs in, put the lift plate on the rockshaft so she's ready incase I need to get the blade on. A little closer to being ready for snow. Hoping to find some wheel weights and a snow caster for it yet this fall. :geek:
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

That’s great Tim! Might be late in the season to get a snowcaster, unless you find one already restored. Chains could be useful too.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:

Post by Timj »

Eugen wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:29 pm That’s great Tim! Might be late in the season to get a snowcaster, unless you find one already restored. Chains could be useful too.
I have a set of v-bar chains for it and a few options for weights.
Finding a blower has been one of them "just because you're looking" there are none for sale, which is odd for here. I should have chased a 446-76 with blower and mower for $700 not far from me a week ago but was too busy. There's a few guys around here with a lot of Case stuff I can check with too. There's also been a few Berco's for sale but I don't think I have the time to get a mule conversion done.
myerslawnandgarden United States of America

Post by myerslawnandgarden »

Tim,

I have several 48" snowcasters that would work on your 448, located in northern IL as you probably know.

Bob

Post by Timj »

I'll just continue with this here.
Got a little more ready for winter this weekend, sticking with my theme of waiting past the last minute. :106: actually mixed in-between a bunch of other things it was a good Case weekend. Shed rearranged and deck and sweeper put to bed for winter. Chains fixed and blade put on 448.
Woke up Sunday to about 2.5" of sloppy snow. Picked up a snow caster locally that popped up.
Screenshot_20231203-175909.png
Not pretty but mechanically sound, PO had set up for a backup but is starting to sell off his collection. I just need to fab a lift bar and chute crank. :smash:
Also came home with a new cutting edge for a 54" blade for $20.. :thumbsup:
Last edited by Timj on Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.