448 Hydraulic Work

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
Timj United States of America

448 Hydraulic Work

Post by Timj »

Going to be doing some work on the hydraulics on my 448, as my schedule will allow. It needs the mid-lift hoses replaced so a good time to also do the selector valve.
So this couldn't have came along at a better time
KIMG0739.JPG
Nos holding valve with good hard lines from a big time fellow Case nut. :cheers:

Now I can hopefully get everything done on one oil dump. Unless I decide to find a rear hydraulic PTO. :hm:
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
Eugen Canada

Re: 448 Hydraulic Work

Post by Eugen »

NOS holding valve? You must have friends in high places Tim. :) good score! You know you'll find the rear PTO just as you fill up with fresh oil. :| Murphy's law I'm with you on not liking oil flushes more than strictly necessary.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:

Post by Timj »

Eugen wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:32 pm NOS holding valve? You must have friends in high places Tim. :) good score! You know you'll find the rear PTO just as you fill up with fresh oil. :| Murphy's law I'm with you on not liking oil flushes more than strictly necessary.
He had posted he had a few he was looking to sell. I wasted no time expressing interest if he had one for a 448. He did and I was first one on the list. First time I actually met Mike, great guy.
He has a nice collection of " Black Frames".
Screenshot_20230609-222723.png
:worship: :clap:
MattA United States of America

Post by MattA »

Not sure who Mike is... but that's quite the tractor collection. Do you have any more pictures?
Ingersoll 4016

Post by Timj »

MattA wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:02 am Not sure who Mike is... but that's quite the tractor collection. Do you have any more pictures?
Matt, Mike Stertz, you may remember him as Mjoe7 from CCI. He has every model of Black Frame. I don't have any other pics, I had to go digging back to find this one from a couple of years ago at Garden Tractor Daze when he had all of them there. We talked about what a undertaking it was to get them all there.

Oh, I forgot about his "White Knight".

Post by Timj »

Well I'm finally getting to this project. Why now you ask? Well because I'm deranged and like working on things in the cold. Actually this past summer got extremely busy so no time and I took my 4118 up to the cabin to deal with the hay up there. This left the 448 needed for mowing, so here we are. Supposed to be mild this week and with getting dark early so I've been getting home earlier it's time to get this done.
Made some room in the shed and got the tractor washed up tonight. Progress pics to follow.

Post by Timj »

Got a little done. :creeper:
Got the oil drained and hoses off last night.
Tonight I got the holding valve mostly done. I need to get one elbow to finish up, the manual doesn't show needing one, but...
KIMG0877.JPG
KIMG0878.JPG
this elbow would not clear the frame to remove it
KIMG0879.JPG
Saw-zall took care of it
KIMG0880.JPG
Took a little time to mock up the selector valve
KIMG0882.JPG
KIMG0881.JPG
:geek:

Post by Timj »

Went out to work on it for about an hour last night, it had been a long day and I really didn't want to get out of my chair after supper. But it was the last of our warm week, almost 70 yesterday, now back to 40s and colder next week.

I had picked up a hose and an elbow and figured I would get it finished up.
For the N9 install it shows the #7 line hooks directly to the TCV but it was impossible. Mike had said I would need to get an elbow but I couldn't see where it was needed. Put a #10jic el in and it lines right up.
Screenshot_20231117-070217.png
KIMG0885.JPG

Tighten all the fittings up, eezy peezy. :69:
Put the hose i had made up on the mid lift cylinder, the one I had made up when I had done the 4118 was a little short for this selector install.
Made and painted a little bracket for mounting the selector valve. Everything going smoothly, let's keep at it. :thumbsup:
You all know where this is going don't you, right, there must always be an issue. :hitsfan:

Reading ahead to the startup and air bleeding procedure and says to loosen the #9 plugs on the ends of the valve body. Let's quick do that. :rofl: :rofl: Here we go. :114: grab a handy 15" crescent wrench, nope not the right tool. Go up to the shop and get an 1 3/8" combination wrench, nope, not enough. Jack the tractor up higher to get more room and a better position, no way, not going to budge. :pullhair: Back to the shop, get 3/4" drive ratchet and socket. :please: lean into the outside port, block all the wheels, lean into it again and it comes. :69:
Go to the inside, can't get socket on, line in the way. :no: loosen up all the fittings and remove the line. Back to the shop and get a 1 1/2" wrench to hold the valve. Build stack of cribbing to support wrench, lean into it. :clap: I win.
Wish I had loosened these when I could have put it in a vice. :hm: but really glad I hadn't filled with oil yet. :phew:
KIMG0886.JPG
Everything tighten back up, ready to mount selector valve and fill with oil, 2 1/2 hours later. :geek:
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Reading your wrenching Tim, brings a mix of emotions because something of this sort is waiting for me to do. Looks like you're out of the woods though. :thumbsup:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:

Post by Timj »

Eugen wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:16 am Reading your wrenching Tim, brings a mix of emotions because something of this sort is waiting for me to do. Looks like you're out of the woods though. :thumbsup:
It's one of those "knowing what I know now" things. Next time will be a snap. :D