Page 1 of 1

So here's my problem guys....

Posted: Sun May 21, 2023 11:56 am
by ras101
As of today I am the proud owner of my 4th Case /Ingersoll GT. This one a 1986 448 that comes with deck and snow caster - that's not the problem though but what that means to my stable of GT''s is.
I have a 1977 short frame 446 that I will be parting out to use the parts in a project 1987 444. This GT has an add on holding valve that I want to reuse on my new 1986 GT but that's a long frame. Other than making flexible hydraulic lines to fit the holding valve anyone have suggestions/parts/part numbers for the hydraulic lines that will be I guess 2 inches short?

Re: So here's my problem guys....

Posted: Sun May 21, 2023 12:09 pm
by Timj
Doesn't the '86 have the integrated holding valve? :7:

Posted: Sun May 21, 2023 12:22 pm
by Eugen
I can't help with the question but congrats on getting the 448! :thumbsup:

Posted: Sun May 21, 2023 12:35 pm
by ras101
Eugen, I owe you guys plenty of pics by now. I promise to post a few when I get this latest one home of it and it's predecessor the 1979 446. My stable though is now complete. I will be losing one this year, my go to winter use 1977 short frame 446 with B&S 18 hp Vanguard and snow caster. The engine, electric clutch, wheels, etc are planned to be used in my new project tractor in the near future. With this latest addition I now have two snow casters (the latest exceptional condition), and two working J46 decks, 15 new/sharpened blades, new deck bearings, etc, etc. Oh this latest addition comes with so much documentation too (total history from new, service, new parts, manuals, and soo much more).
The cost $1250! the guy even asked if that was too much? Just know I was smiling as I walked away to my car. Now I just need a guy with a trailer..

Posted: Sun May 21, 2023 1:29 pm
by Eugen
Too bad I'm not nearly you, I'd come over with my trailer to help you out. Pictures are always appreciated Ray! :D

Posted: Sun May 21, 2023 1:34 pm
by ras101
Thanks Eugen. As a last resort i call my son! he has a truck and tow hitch and access to my old 10x5 trailer that I sold to his friend. We shall see.. Anyway I have paid my deposit to the GT seller and the GT's mine! When you see it I think you will all be impressed with the previous owners care..
The wheels are still white! no rust, scraps or anything! the tires are like new, it has a new seat, new ball joints on the tie rods, new upgraded steering pin, etc and oh, new front tires too!

Posted: Sun May 21, 2023 2:16 pm
by ras101
Ok, forget the holding valve guys! just went on Ebay and they had an integrated holding valve for sale. Not cheap but it will give me satisfaction in knowing that the install will be seamless. Later this year I will have a short frame holding valve for sale to forum members...probably August/September time frame. As you know these are in very short supply and it will come with hydraulic lines but no straight adapters for the hydraulic motor. Let me know if you might be interested..

Posted: Sun May 21, 2023 3:16 pm
by Timj
I'm pretty sure that a 1986 would have had the integrated holding valve as standard setup. I thought they started in '85 with the big wheel tractors and then went to all tractors after the stock of TCV's without was used up.

Posted: Sun May 21, 2023 4:23 pm
by ras101
I hope that is the Case (yeah you got it!) . Right now I have in my possession two integrated valves and I hope most of the plumbing too. I have two GT's that definitely need the "fix" as I* live on a property that slops towards the road... well you now the rest. I put an external holding valve on my 1977 snow blowing GT several years ago when I hit the sloping driveway at the road and almost hit an oncoming car! My snow blower since has been more than apologetic I might add. Still have a slightly hilly ride to the road, but to a turning circle but stiil there. My snow blower runs fine now with the added holding valve but the others need work. Now have integrated holding valves and everything else seems secondary..

Posted: Sun May 21, 2023 5:41 pm
by Timj
I started out with a 4 digit tractor and never knew about the hair rasing rides till I joined the forums. When I got my '84 448 last year I thought it would have it, it didn't. I had originally thought the holding valve became standard when Ingersoll took over but after a little digging it looks they started in '85.
I have to make a conscious effort to stay in control on the hills. I think I scored a nos add on valve and tubing today, so I'll feel safer if someone else runs the tractor.

Posted: Wed May 24, 2023 1:33 pm
by ras101
I just snagged a pair of "wings" - yeah you know those things that extend the snow caster clearing width by an additional 4 inches. Did the rounds of our dealers and well Bob at Caseingersollparts.com came in leaps and bounds better on price. Well when they arrived! the quality is bar NON. Need wings guys this is the place to visit first and delivered in 3 days!!!!!

Posted: Wed May 24, 2023 1:42 pm
by ras101
Now got the 'caster wings ' I needed I now need the extensions ... ie the parts that slice through the snow bank. Not even sure what they would be called (remember guys I am still trying to learn the American language (I'm a Brit by birth and even though I am 75 I am a 34 year old American!)

Not sure that anyone sells these parts, and if I guess if I need to I could always draw and make my own but anyone out there that has these?). Wish I had a photo but know they extend into the air from the caster front edges and not only cut through a snow bank but identify the cutting edge too. If nothing else looking for dimensions.

Posted: Wed May 24, 2023 2:46 pm
by RoamingGnome
Not sure what the Case/Ingersoll technical term would be for them, I'd probably call them "Drift Cutters" so you can tell where the wings are when pushing through a snow drift deeper than the snowcaster :cheers:

Posted: Wed May 24, 2023 2:50 pm
by Eugen
Snowdrift or drift cutters? :hm:

Edit: @RoamingGnome haha, we cross posted! :D great minds think alike !

Posted: Wed May 24, 2023 11:51 pm
by myerslawnandgarden
ras101 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 1:33 pm I just snagged a pair of "wings" - yeah you know those things that extend the snow caster clearing width by an additional 4 inches. Did the rounds of our dealers and well Bob at Caseingersollparts.com came in leaps and bounds better on price. Well when they arrived! the quality is bar NON. Need wings guys this is the place to visit first and delivered in 3 days!!!!!
So Ray,

I really hate to correct you, but you were so kind to email me as well as post here regarding your satisfaction with your order that I have to comment.

You ordered on our website, casegardentractorparts.com, rather than caseingersollparts.com. I'm sure that Jason appreciates the positive feedback though, lol.

Just kind of joking, we love all of our customers as well as the other dealers who help in keeping the Case/Ingersoll parts business alive.

Thanks much for your purchase,

Bob

Posted: Thu May 25, 2023 8:20 am
by ras101
My mistake Bob.. The wings did arrive and well they are excellent. Thank you!

Posted: Thu May 25, 2023 5:57 pm
by BobAfton
Ray, if you are looking for drift cutters like in my photo, I got these Ariens Drift Cutters from Amazon several years ago. They had several models depending on what length and hole spacing you may need.
Bob

Posted: Thu May 25, 2023 8:19 pm
by MattA
My dad used to call them cutter bars... or nut cutters. He warned me years ago not to walk into them. Drift cutters seems like a more common name :cheers:

Posted: Fri May 26, 2023 11:00 am
by ras101
Thanks Bob for the pic and yes that is exactly what I was talking about and at least the starting point to look. Any chance of measuring your center deflector for me? I am looking to make one too and I hear they are a great help.
Thanks

Posted: Fri May 26, 2023 4:52 pm
by MattA
ras101 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:00 am Thanks Bob for the pic and yes that is exactly what I was talking about and at least the starting point to look. Any chance of measuring your center deflector for me? I am looking to make one too and I hear they are a great help.
Thanks
I think @Jancoe also made one. Would be nice to get a drawing made up and have some fabbed up.

Posted: Sat May 27, 2023 5:01 pm
by ras101
New to me 1986 448 GT arrived today ! I will let you know over the next couple of days whether it really has an integrated holding valve or not. The s/n is 14097484. BTW the GT looks immaculate and comes with N44 deck and an L84 snow caster! More later

Posted: Mon May 29, 2023 10:36 am
by ras101
Yesterday I got to take a couple of pictures of my new GT, a 1986 448 together with an N44 deck, and a L84 snow caster. Also included a pic of my 1979 446 that I got last year from a neighbor.

Enjoy...!

Posted: Mon May 29, 2023 10:48 am
by ras101
Yes, I just checked and it does have an integrated holding valve!!!

Posted: Mon May 29, 2023 11:07 am
by Eugen
That looks great Ray, good score! Thanks for the pics! :cheers:

Posted: Mon May 29, 2023 12:56 pm
by ras101
Ever had a problem identifying what a previous owner has done? or perhaps not done?

My new 1986 448 came with some documentation that I am beginning to think makes perfect sense for all of us. So what was it you may ask?

Well to start an engine service manual complete with the Case/Ingersoll model number and ID with notations through out about what was done/not done on this GT. When things were changed it was noted, such as wiring, upgrades/dates, etc.
Maintenance records!! not just the date but what was performed and BTW that was almost yearly! Things like hydraulic hose changes with part numbers etc. Point setting, plug changes, etc, etc.
Places where things were bought even.
That's not even the end of it .. belt changes, types etc, oil used and viscosity, even the date these things were carried out.

I know someone will say this is anal but you know what? it's also enlightening and a valuable source of information to the next owner.

Probably got over 50 pages of info on my new to me 1986 448 and it came also with additional belts, another oil filter, couple of air filters and other stuff (too much to enter here.)

Yeah there are a couple of things this original owner did that had my head scratching but at the end of the day I can see that he was a dedicated Case/Ingersoll fan too.

Posted: Mon May 29, 2023 2:01 pm
by Timj
:thumbsup: nice looking tractor Ray.
I consider knowing that something has been well maintained is a huge plus when dealing on these older machines. The less we know the more of a gamble we take. :42:

Posted: Mon May 29, 2023 2:37 pm
by Eugen
I must say I have never seen an example of such methodical maintenance book keeping. Buying a device with that kind of recorded history removes a lot of question signs for sure. :gift:

Posted: Mon May 29, 2023 3:07 pm
by ras101
deleted

Posted: Mon May 29, 2023 3:10 pm
by ras101
So I have started this GT from cold a couple of times over the last two days from cold (well summer temperatures). I can't even move the ignition key before the GT springs to life! never in my life have I owned a garden tractor (any make and I have had a few) where the engine starts so easily. It seems like it wants to run and is just waiting for someone to ask it too and even starts easier than my car!. I am falling in love with this new GT very quickly. My question now is how can I get me other GT so enthusiastic that they jump at the chance to start and be used too? I can see a couple of mods the original owner did, I might add very well. Non of this "casual wiring" I see all the time. Without a skilled eye you would never even notice the upgrades. The Onan B48M seems original at first glance but it is running so much better than my previous engines... I know this GT has been well maintained from new...is that really the answer? not sure that the engine would start even from new like it does now?

Posted: Wed May 31, 2023 2:53 pm
by ras101
I feel for you Tim! There is nothing worse than feeling not in control of a vehicle, be it a bike, car, or tractor, etc. To be sitting on something that has a mind of it's own as it hurtles to the road is something else. Glad you scored a holding valve and I can tell you first hand you will not be disappointed too. Take the time to drain the hydraulics too and fill with a good synthetic oil such as Mobile One 5/50 or 15/50 oil.

Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:17 am
by ras101
Shout out!!!! to myerslawnandgarden.

Been looking for several parts recently for my Case/Ingersoll stable. Every time I have ended looking on the CaseGardenTractorParts website and have found that your site is soooo easy to look things up. The explanation is also welcome to and is very accurate and prices are same or cheaper too. Keep up the good work Bob and thank you for your help in keeping my hobby alive for me and others.