Front axle repair

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
Chad Canada

Front axle repair

Post by Chad »

A few of us I'm sure have slightly bent/tweaked front axles on our tractors. I've read up on various repairs or methods to repair including heat, hydraulic force etc. My tractor drives fine but the bends irritate me when I look at it.

Curious if anyone here has attempted to fix theirs and if so what did you do and how did it go?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

DavidBarkey Canada

Re: Front axle repair

Post by DavidBarkey »

Chad wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 12:31 pm A few of us I'm sure have slightly bent/tweaked front axles on our tractors. I've read up on various repairs or methods to repair including heat, hydraulic force etc. My tractor drives fine but the bends irritate me when I look at it.

Curious if anyone here has attempted to fix theirs and if so what did you do and how did it go?

There was a thread on tiss at one point .
The last one I did was done on the tractor with a 1" steel bar, porta power , and mussle .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Chad Canada

Post by Chad »

Thanks David! I do have a porta power that was amongst a pile of tools and equipment that I bought from my neighbour when he moved last fall. I'll work on getting some 1" bar.

Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

DavidBarkey wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 2:37 pm The last one I did was done on the tractor with a 1" steel bar, porta power , and mussle .
How?
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Eugen wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 9:21 am
DavidBarkey wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 2:37 pm The last one I did was done on the tractor with a 1" steel bar, porta power , and mussle .
How?
Support front end. remove spindle assembly .insert 1" CRS bar until hits ground ( I used a 4' piece ) .vise grips on bottom of bar to keep Porta Power from slipping off . I did it with rear fenders off . put PP between the front corner and the bottom of the bar . apply pressure to bottom of bar pushing it forwards and either manually push back on top of bar or use a come-along to pull back on top . it is the bottom that twist back so that is what you are trying to twist forwards again until straight .
like any thing , take your time and don't go to far .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Thank you @DavidBarkey ! This is something I need to do at some point too. :wave3:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Chad Canada

Post by Chad »

Eugen wrote:Thank you [mention]DavidBarkey[/mention] ! This is something I need to do at some point too. :wave3:
Same - thanks David!